Confirmed with Link: Canes Acquire Scott Darling for a 3rd, signed 4.15 x4

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Seems like an unnecessary cheap shot.

Absolutely to the contrary. I'm all about second chances, but it's a very real concern to me.

Not a cheap shot at all and if I offended, that wasn't my intent. But it is a very real concern. It is the reason he took the circuitous road to the NHL. There's a history of substance abuse in my family and I can tell you that it's an everyday job to keep it between the lines.

While I don't think it will be a big issue with Darling, it is a very real one.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
You're right. It's nothing at all the same, because Darling won't be playing for Marcoux.

I really hope it's Ward who ships out at this point. I'd like to see what Darling and Lack can do with a fresh start.

Is Marcoux gone now? I didn't see news anywhere....who is new goaler coach?

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
anyone heard any rumors on any negotiations with Darling? was hopelessly optimistic that they might get something done early this week.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
anyone heard any rumors on any negotiations with Darling? was hopelessly optimistic that they might get something done early this week.

I won't be concerned unless we don't hear something by June 1st. If that date comes and goes with no deal, then I will start to think it won't happen.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
All I know is that negotiations have started, no idea on how far apart the two sides are on money or term at this point.

Was it reported that they started? or is that just an assumption based on Francis saying he wants it done soon.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Was it reported that they started? or is that just an assumption based on Francis saying he wants it done soon.

One of the Canes-associated guys, can't remember if it was Luke or who, tweeted that Francis and Darling's camp have had preliminary talks about a contract extension.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That's 1 more year than I would've liked/expected, but that's the cost of being the Canes. Let's get it done big man.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Seems in the expected range of money and term. I'm cool with it. Hopefully he can do some big things.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Won't nitpick on the contract details, if he's even an average starter it's worth it. Very happy to have this done in May, great work by RF.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
That's 1 more year than I would've liked/expected, but that's the cost of being the Canes. Let's get it done big man.

The uncertainty makes it difficult, but if he pans out, extra term at that price is very good for us. In that scenario, the best contract for Darling would be a short one- he can prove himself, and then get 6 million bucks a year instead of 4 million. If he doesn't pan out, this contract sinks a lot of money into a backup, but it's not insane for a platoon guy, which, let's be real, is his floor barring something really weird.

Personally, I like the deal. Darling should be good for us, and getting him under contract for a while should finally get us some stability in net.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Glad he signed. Canes got their guy before UFA which is huge. Confidence in a fix is worth something. Might be the difference between a UFA choosing Carolina or a guy waiving to come here.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, it still puts him pretty low on the cap and salary side of things for goalies. If he can translate his numbers to a starter it will be great. If he is a platoon guy, as said, not exactly the end of the world, nor necessarily immovable.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Glad he signed. Canes got their guy before UFA which is huge. Confidence in a fix is worth something. Might be the difference between a UFA choosing Carolina or a guy waiving to come here.

It also means that we got the guy our scouts liked best rather than the guy who was just the last one off the merry go round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad