Confirmed with Link: Canes Acquire Scott Darling for a 3rd, signed 4.15 x4

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
'Canes Waste a Third Rounder

Canes trade for the rights to da Hahks goaltender and soon-to-be FA Scott Darling.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That seems like a steep price for Fa rights to a guy you can't sign before the expansion draft. Buyout Cam and immediately install him as the goalie coach?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Giving up one of our 3? 3rd round picks for one of our biggest weaknesses.

18-5-5 last season, .924 save percentage. 28 years old. Stanley Cup Champion.

I'll take it. Sounds like he wants to be a starter, here's his chance.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That seems like a steep price for Fa rights to a guy you can't sign before the expansion draft. Buyout Cam and immediately install him as the goalie coach?

Why exactly can't we sign him before the expansion draft?

I like it. They identified who they wanted, and traded for his rights. People complained they wouldn't do that in the past, now they'll complain that we did. He was one of the guys I was more than fine with.

It's a risk, of course. He's played in front of a great team. But I've always thought he played pretty well.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Been advocating for Darling for a while, a bit strange way of going about it I guess.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Or that management thought Darling was better.

I know you seem to like the guy a lot for some reason but I think the odds of that are fairly negligible given the body of work that is MAF's career versus Darling's. I'm honestly curious here - why, exactly, do you like this guy so much? You seem to think he's the cure to all of our ills and I just don't see it.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I know you seem to like the guy a lot for some reason but I think the odds of that are fairly negligible given the body of work that is MAF's career versus Darling's. I'm honestly curious here - why, exactly, do you like this guy so much? You seem to think he's the cure to all of our ills and I just don't see it.

Well you seem to have the complete opposite stance, why is that? Have you watched him play much?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
At least Darling is a bit younger than Fleury. And Fleury didn't have the best year overall. Obviously he's pulling it together in the playoffs, and he's a guy I would have been fine with as well, but we don't know what chance we had to get him.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
We're going to pay Darling through the nose (and likely have already agreed to do so) to get him to stay.

If he's all thunder, no lightning, that's going to be another hefty financial commitment to mediocrity.

Fleury is a proven starter, and he's on a short term deal. But I don't want to go into the expansion draft with our only realistic option being the overcompensation of Ben Bishop.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Also, it will be incredibly interesting to see what king of money and term he gets. I don't have the slightest clue what their approach will be.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We're going to pay Darling through the nose (and likely have already agreed to do so) to get him to stay.

If he's all thunder, no lightning, that's going to be another hefty financial commitment to mediocrity.

Fleury is a proven starter, and he's on a short term deal. But I don't want to go into the expansion draft with our only realistic option being the overcompensation of Ben Bishop.

What do you think he's going to get? I don't think it will be nearly anything that I'll feel is paying through the nose, though he has obvious leverage.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hope we sign him quick then. Would suck to blow this negotiation and then have to expose him.

This. Hopefully they already have it worked out. 3rd is a fairly significant price to pay, goalie is an absolute need though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->