GDT: cane rags

what is the best use of what?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
It doesn’t really matter if he saw it or dropped it when he realized it, or doesn’t touch the puck. People have skated away and never noticed their stick was broke, and they still get called for it at all other levels. Coming from that world it’s not a surprising call. I don’t know what to say, it made sense when I watched the replay. He hit the boards with it, it broke, he unknowingly swung it towards the puck and then dropped it when he realized it right before touching the puck. The second he swung it the way of the puck instead of dropping it he was available for the call.
I don't think the argument would be that it was a wrong call. Yes by the book it was a correctly called penalty. But given the scenario it was called under I think it's fair to say it's a 'bad' call in that it has a major effect on a close game when it didn't need to be called at that time. There was no safety concern at that point and the player dropped the broken stick as soon as he realized it was broken without influencing the play.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What really blows me away is that the guy who made this call yesterday only started reffing (in any capacity) last year.

I would have thought the entry bar to the NHL would be a bit higher.
It makes sense he would call it so quick in that setting, and you’re right. The bar to make it to the higher levels used to be very high. The world ran out of refs some time ago (can’t imagine why….), I remember when there were articles about the NHL starting to recruit former players (ncaa, minors, juniors) because they just didn’t have the pool to choose from anymore.

You lose “game sense” that way. Earning your way up for five to ten years at all levels gives you a feel for what’s going on that cannot be taught in a book or a class. Five years from now he’ll probably be annoyed he called it even though he had the right to.

Reactions: Identity404

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Lol that was the point I meant to make before I let myself get involved. If we’re in that position in the first place we deserve to lose. The call doesn’t matter. The refs didn’t decide that one.
It was definitely "I'll tell you hwhat" winning the poll that doomed us from the start. I'm not really sure why I bothered to watch TBH.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't think the argument would be that it was a wrong call. Yes by the book it was a correctly called penalty. But given the scenario it was called under I think it's fair to say it's a 'bad' call in that it has a major effect on a close game when it didn't need to be called at that time. There was no safety concern at that point and the player dropped the broken stick as soon as he realized it was broken without influencing the play.
Slippery slope though. It’s a penalty, but not against the team that’s down by one goal with 2 minutes left? If he hadn’t called it I could see the Rangers announcers watching it and saying…”wow, he tried to play the puck…he got lucky there!”.

Instead they agreed it was a tight call but understood our frustration. They had commented they didn’t agree with one of the earlier calls against us as well. I think it was a game reffed by a new guy. It happens.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Slippery slope though. It’s a penalty, but not against the team that’s down by one goal with 2 minutes left? If he hadn’t called it I could see the Rangers announcers watching it and saying…”wow, he tried to play the puck…he got lucky there!”.

Instead they agreed it was a tight call but understood our frustration. They had commented they didn’t agree with one of the earlier calls against us as well. I think it was a game reffed by a new guy. It happens.
Brand new ref with only 11 NHL games under his belt so far

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It doesn’t really matter if he saw it or dropped it when he realized it, or doesn’t touch the puck. People have skated away and never noticed their stick was broke, and they still get called for it at all other levels. Coming from that world it’s not a surprising call. I don’t know what to say, it made sense when I watched the replay. He hit the boards with it, it broke, he unknowingly swung it towards the puck and then dropped it when he realized it right before touching the puck. The second he swung it the way of the puck instead of dropping it he was available for the call.
I don't argue that it was the right call. But I would argue that it wasn't a necessary call just based on the way the rules are written. It CLEARLY is not the player safety rule everyone claims if they still give the other team the chance to play with a delayed penalty. If it was such a risk to players, they should treat it like when the goalies helmet comes off and blow the play dead immediately regardless of who has the puck.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't argue that it was the right call. But I would argue that it wasn't a necessary call just based on the way the rules are written. It CLEARLY is not the player safety rule everyone claims if they still give the other team the chance to play with a delayed penalty. If it was such a risk to players, they should treat it like when the goalies helmet comes off and blow the play dead immediately regardless of who has the puck.
I don’t disagree with that. I’m just not surprised it was called.

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
YOU COULD SAY THAT SUCH A DEFEAT WAS FORETOLD. THAT IT WAS FATED.

Truth is… DESTINY CAN FU^K ITSELF.
ALL THERE IS GREATER WILL TO BEAT THE OTHER(S) TO A BLOODY PULP.

FOR THE SAKE OF SISTERLY RIVALRY I NAME @skipnjump MY SECOND FOR THE NEXT GDT.
Oh dear! I've never worked on a GDT before. But for the sake of sisterly rivalry, I will assist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad