what is the best use of what?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Or put Staal on PP one.. look I just want a bigger body if we are going to keep that shape.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You can’t have this reaction every time the PP fails. They scored 3 PP goals 2 games ago. They scored 1 to tie the game last game. They’ve been operating at about 25% on the PP since thanksgiving. That’s above league average by a fair amount. Noesen was missing tonight so it got all f***ed up because they had Jarvis’s tiny ass in front.
Man the PP has been bad for 10 calendar months now. And I mean horrendously bad. Even with our recent success, we still rank 26th in the league, and this is coming off a playoff run where it had a conversion rate at around 8%. I'm not reacting based on tonight, I'm reacting at a long sustained stretch of awful execution with the man advantage. It's well beyond the point where this needed to be resolved, especially for a team like we are that has legitimate Cup aspirations.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Things get evened up in the playoffs. They just do. So a team like NYR or Boston (the two teams I think are the worst matchup for us) can ramp up the physicality, maybe cross the line a few times and take some penalties, and have complete confidence that it'll get evened up over the course of the game. From there, they can use their superior PPs to tip the balance. The PP has to get fixed if we're gonna go anywhere.

How I long for this league to call penalties like the NFL or soccer (and not like basketball), where they actually just call the penalties that happen and there isn't a clear and distinct correlation between penalties taken and penalties received.

100% agree- that is the playbook on the Canes, and it was used in full force tonight. They started banging our guys around, caught a few penalties but nbd, got some bullshit ones to even it up, then took advantage of a Canes squad that was visibly intimidated and unwilling to respond in kind as always. Pesce had that little Vesey shit lined up to knock him into orbit with an open ice hit and pulled off at the last second.

This team will never see another cup until it commits to physical toughness. It is the achilles heel of the team in every era, it's very hard to understand why.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I haven't gotten caught up on the topic, but I wanted to say the refs made several bad calls tonight (hardly a rarity sadly), but the penalty on Martinook for playing the puck with a broken stick was awful for several reasons.

Firstly, because I honestly did not see in multiple replays him making contact with the puck, and secondly, as Tripp pointed out, it took him a little bit (like literally 1-2 seconds) to realize his stick broke and then he dropped it (as if the refs realize something in a nano second on a regular basis :rolleyes:). Finally, it's at the end of the game, the Canes are down a goal, and they effectively end the game right there with the penalty against the Canes. So often refs bury their whistles at the end of the game, and during overtime, to let the players play, and that's most notably been brought up with the playoffs at different points over the years (but hasn't actually been the case in reality). Not only should it have not been a penalty, they called a non-penalty to decide the game late in the 3rd period.

When there have been so many problems with the officiating in the league over the years, one can truly say that it is holding back the sport of hockey, and it's quality is diminished as a result.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I haven't gotten caught up on the topic, but I wanted to say the refs made several bad calls tonight (hardly a rarity sadly), but the penalty on Martinook for playing the puck with a broken stick was awful for several reasons.

Firstly, because I honestly did not see in multiple replays him making contact with the puck, and secondly, as Tripp pointed out, it took him a little bit (like literally 1-2 seconds) to realize his stick broke and then he dropped it (as if the refs realize something in a nano second on a regular basis :rolleyes:). Finally, it's at the end of the game, the Canes are down a goal, and they effectively end the game right there with the penalty against the Canes. So often refs bury their whistles at the end of the game, and during overtime, to let the players play, and that's most notably been brought up with the playoffs at different points over the years (but hasn't actually been the case in reality). Not only should it have not been a penalty, they called a non-penalty to decide the game late in the 3rd period.

When there have been so many problems with the officiating in the league over the years, one can truly say that it is holding back the sport of hockey, and it's quality is diminished as a result.

Gonna disagree with a lot of this. My stance on officiating has always been “If it’s a penalty, it’s a penalty” No matter the time, the score, whathaveyou, if they call it and it’s reasonable on replay, then I’ve got no issue with it.

And a lot of that happened tonight. Yes, Burns’ hooking call was helped along by the Rangers player (Z?) holding the stick against him. But Burns shouldn’t have had his stick around their waist in the first place, and in real time, I can see why the official would make that call. Likewise, the Martinook penalty. He broke his stick, he attempted to play the puck, that’s a penalty. Just because the official appeared to recognize the stick was broken before Martinook did doesn’t make it any less of one.

LBS I Digress

Jan 30, 2022
Diggin In
Gonna disagree with a lot of this. My stance on officiating has always been “If it’s a penalty, it’s a penalty” No matter the time, the score, whathaveyou, if they call it and it’s reasonable on replay, then I’ve got no issue with it.
I’d be totally fine with this if the NHL was consistent with how they called penalties but they just aren’t. We’ve seen too many instances in the postseason of referees swallowing their whistles (especially late in games) and it’s gets chalked up most of the time to “let em play.”

If that’s the case of when it matters the most then I’d just like to see them follow that standard 100% of the time. I’d also be fine with the vice versa of them calling penalties when they consistently see them regardless of game situation, status, or how many penalties have been taken by both teams, but that sounds way too practical for the NHL.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

We should get Waddell an interview on Marek’s show anytime a player is injured (as the local guys get zip).

For those who want to hear the interview and Marek's extended obsession with bucket colors:

Waddell also talks about the risks of deadline deals and why they don't feel adding just to add is automatically the right move.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
KK takes way to long to get shots off to play bumper.

So it’s either someone too small to effectively battle in front of the net or one of two people with slow shots. Pick your poison.

Noesen really wasn't in the bumper spot on the PP. He was the down low, net front guy. Aho has been the guy that has mostly been in the bumper spot for the Canes, which is the center ice / high slot area. A guy in the bumper spot needs to be able to not only shoot quickly, but find soft spots in the zone and make quick decisions to pass to the open guy on either half-wall as well. That's what Aho's been doing. That's what Point has done in the past in TB as well.

Noesen has been strictly a net front guy, creating screens, getting rebounds, and working behind the net. He's not ideal because behind the net, he's not skilled enough for there to be many options on what he's going to do with the puck, but he's very good at the net front/screening/cleaning up rebounds aspect and he's a handful because he works his ass off. So while he's not ideal, he's also decent at it.

If Staal had better hands he'd be ideal for that spot, but he doesn't have the hands. Jarvis has great hands and isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas, but he's small so more easy to move out of the way and/or doesn't provide enough of a screen. KK has better hands and good reach for the rebounds, but still is gangly so gets knocked off his skates too easily and doesn't have the quick feet to get to the right spots as quickly as you need that guy to. Martinook is the closest thing we have to Noesen, but he's far from ideal as well and doesn't have the nose for the net that Noesen does (although it would be fun to see the board's collective heads explode if he played there).

We really don't have an ideal guy for that spot outside of Noesen, who isn't ideal himself.

Thinking outside the box a little, I would personally try Skjei in that role. He's got size, strength and decent hands. I doubt Rod / Daniels would do that though and it might be more wear and tear on a top 4 D than we want to endure as that guy can take a beating.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Some weird goals (pass to Trocheck, Pyotr thought Trocheck would get it, he didn't, it slides past). 2 deflection goals. One blind shot through like 6 guys. PK didn't play badly, just got short end of the stick on fluky goals/bounces. Burns was noticeably bad - 4(?) attempts to clear that failed (I think one at least led to a goal) - and a rookie(?) ref calling some bad calls - all in all yes, we lost, but it was just a odd, odd game all around.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Yeah you can chalk this up to finally losing the streak, but this is just a continuation of a f***ing horrible trend of playing mindless stupid hockey with no semblance of a PP on the road against a tough team in this conference that f***ed us over in the playoffs last year.

Brindy needs to fix the goddamn Power Play. f***ing fix it already. Don't hide behind the bullshit excuses about how it's executing well, because we all see that it isn't.

None of this f***ing shit with penalties matters tonight if we could just score at league average on the PP.

Maybe RBA thinks the pp is executing well because it's doing what coaches want :sarcasm: ?

Logic follows if the pp is doing what you want and not successful over a long period of time....

Last edited:

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
NHL average is about 22.5% - Canes are at about 19.5% - we get 3.5 PP chances per game. If we maintain that chance pace the rest of the year (44 games remaining) - we'll have 154 PP chances. If we execute at 25% (above average to try to get TO average, that gives us 8 more goals (25% of 154 = 38 compared to 19.5% of 154 = 30) than current pace, or a goal every 5-6 games. Not insignificant, but perhaps not a world beating improvement either. Hence we ALSO need to do what we do well all the time (forecheck, faceoffs, goaltending, 5v5) - sometimes shifting too much attention to a slightly worse area of the game can throw off other things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad