Candidates for defensemen coach

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Going to throw a new name into our speculations. I'm guessing that Jaroslav Špaček might be the new defensive coach the Habs have in mind.

Michal Moravčík and David Sklenička played for HC Škoda Plzeň and the Czech National Team this past season both of which have former Montreal defender Jaroslav Špaček working as an assistant coach. (see Patrik Bexell's article).

We also signed a few prospects from Blainville-Boisbriand Armada right before hiring Bouchard

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ask the Ranger fans what they think about Alain! :cool:

He coached some deeply flawed teams far into the play-offs. He wore out his welcome in New York, and may not be a good coach in the current NHL, but he's done a good job coaching in his career. You don't coach over 1,200 regular season games and coach two different teams to the Cup finals if you suck.

Reactions: Vachon23

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Doesn’t matter. Vigneault is the best Habs coach since Burns and should have never been fired.
He wasn't much good when he was here. He got better after he left and got more experience. Julien too, was better after gaining experience. Therrien was the only one who never got any better. He's the same imbecile today that he was when he was first hired.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
As does every coach before they start coaching. Bergevin had 0 experience in GMing, Molson had 0 experience in ownering.

they said they wanted a guy with some experience and Bergevin had experience in the management, Hamer never coached ! Spacek would be a better option

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Hamrlik is more handsome. It would be the first step in breaking Molsons love affair with MB. Look at the uglies MB surrounds himself with to make himself look better.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He wasn't much good when he was here. He got better after he left and got more experience. Julien too, was better after gaining experience. Therrien was the only one who never got any better. He's the same imbecile today that he was when he was first hired.

I think he squeezed a lot out of some very weak groups of players while in Montreal. He did eventually get much better as you say.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
As does every coach before they start coaching. Bergevin had 0 experience in GMing, Molson had 0 experience in ownering.

Most coaches start in the minors...not right in the big leagues.

Bergevin had assistant GM experience btw, with the hawks. He worked his way up to his position as a GM...just like coaches from the minors work their way up to the NHL (i.e. Ducharme)

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Is the D coach responsible for the PK? Because that was just abysmal last year (although having no goaltending didn't help) so I would say someone with a track record in that area would be important.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
He's expected to stay on in Carolina, but everything around the Hurricanes right now is a little uncertain.
Considering the problems Montreal has had with developing defenseman (Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn), getting Steve Smith would be really beneficial. However I don't he will leave Carolina for Montreal for the same job unless Carolina no longer wants his services (considering what he has done with their defenseman that would be foolish) or Julien can convince him to come here.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Considering the problems Montreal has had with developing defenseman (Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn), getting Steve Smith would be really beneficial. However I don't he will leave Carolina for Montreal for the same job unless Carolina no longer wants his services (considering what he has done with their defenseman that would be foolish) or Julien can convince him to come here.

The advantage Montreal has relative to a lot of other teams is that they can pay for assistant coaches (this added to the frustration of Montreal sticking with clearly flawed coaching in the org.). Not a lot of teams budget a lot of money there. Tampa just let go of both their assistants for example.

If I had to bet I'd say Smith isn't going anywhere, but Montreal should be spending money for good coaching, development, data collection and data analysis. They have some of the highest revenues in the NHL and none of those positions affect the cap.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
with Rick Bowness aviable, is he the #1 candidate ?

I would think they will approach him. He ran Tampa's D and PK for the last 5 seasons. They had a bad PK in his first year and this past year. They were 23rd in 2013-14 and they were 28th this past season. But they were 7th in 2014-15 and 2015-16 and then were 13th in 2016-17.

With the PP much improved with the arrival of Kirk Muller (they were 23rd and 25th in 2014-15 & 2015-16, respectively before Muller's arrival). As soon as Muller came on board and ran the PP, they jumped up to 8th in 2016-17 and finished 13th last season.

If they can have the PP and the PK both in the Top-15, it will make a world of difference.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad