Canceled WHL Season Scenarios

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Tic toc....
Despite the 24 game announcement...
Their silence is speaking loudly at the moment.
I'm guessing that in a week the season is either on or cancelled.
I can't see how they have a season start later than March 1
Working back...
Feb 1 tell players to get their cities and quarantine
Camp on Feb 15
Games start March 1

If they don't ask their players by Feb 1 I would assume game over for 2021?

Anyone think different?

There's nothing new to report. That's why it's been so quiet. Even if they started in March, it's only a 24 game season.

Reactions: e14

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Tic toc....
Despite the 24 game announcement...
Their silence is speaking loudly at the moment.
I'm guessing that in a week the season is either on or cancelled.
I can't see how they have a season start later than March 1
Working back...
Feb 1 tell players to get their cities and quarantine
Camp on Feb 15
Games start March 1

If they don't ask their players by Feb 1 I would assume game over for 2021?

Anyone think different?

Ya unfortunately there is no chance a season happens. I think majority of us kinda figured it would get to this point of them just cancelling it. I was hoping by now that numbers would have dropped significantly but obviously that isnt the case

Just awful for all the kids in junior

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I live in a major junior city and was driving past the arena that the team plays out of and I saw a massive sign for the team desperately looking for sponsorship.. also it's been in the newspapers... I've never seen that before here. So scary to see the state of the league right now and how much trouble financially it is getting

It used to always be impossible to get sponsorship space here

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Ya unfortunately there is no chance a season happens. I think majority of us kinda figured it would get to this point of them just cancelling it. I was hoping by now that numbers would have dropped significantly but obviously that isnt the case

Just awful for all the kids in junior

They are willing to do a bubble, and to eat the cost. So your crystal ball isn't necessarily accurate.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
They are willing to do a bubble, and to eat the cost. So your crystal ball isn't necessarily accurate.

I suspect for the east division, the MB gov't would not look favourably on the SK teams crossing into the province to play. So I wonder if a couple of bubbles within the division might be something being considered?

i.e. not putting everyone in one location, but doing something like Winnipeg-Regina at Brandt Centre, Brandon-Swift Current-Moose Jaw at Mosaic Place, Saskatoon-Prince Albert at SaskTel Centre? Then you cut down the travel risks/costs significantly without having to find tons of living spaces and ice time in one community.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad