Canceled WHL Season Scenarios

e14

Feb 14, 2018
With WHL so attached to having fans (many) in the stands... they are not likely to start in BC. Not even sure how to deal with US teams. Could the other provinces start with fans without BC and US?

At some point can some teams go without fans and leave the others behind?

With Q having started shortly will they have the only teams in the Memorial Cup?

if they cancel season can players go elsewhere or still tied to contracts?

would euro players want to come play here if they are already playing in Europe?

does it really matter if 03s aren't scouted? will they delay the draft and double up with 04s the following year?

all fun questions to ponder!

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Well unfortunately Vancouver is ruining it for the rest of the province. The WHL came out and said they will not have a season without the US teams. (Go figure that one), and players will not be able to play anywhere unless their teams say so.

That goofball Horgan having a snap election is only going to push things back more, as realistically that will not be of importance to them.

And why are these "fun questions to ponder"?

Reactions: e14

e14

Feb 14, 2018
Well unfortunately Vancouver is ruining it for the rest of the province. The WHL came out and said they will not have a season without the US teams. (Go figure that one), and players will not be able to play anywhere unless their teams say so.

That goofball Horgan having a snap election is only going to push things back more, as realistically that will not be of importance to them.

yes I should have put 'fun' in quotes

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
It would be nice to see at least a partial return if the entire league can't proceed. I would take just the eastern conference playing vs. nothing at all.

I suspect that the WHL will become more flexible on stuff like the US teams playing, 50% capacity minimums, etc. as they stare down the barrel of a totally cancelled season.

If the WHL plays it will be a bit of a bastardized season with few if any international players (Europeans will opt to stay home, Americans won't be able to cross the border). Probably some younger players opting for the jr. A route as there is much more likelihood of getting a full season in.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Ridley Grieg and Connor Mclennon had contracts to play Swedish semi-pro hockey but were turned down by their WHL teams so the league still thinks it can have at least a partial season. Its just going to be such a mess trying to organize it as they have so many more jurisdictions to deal with than other junior leagues. I just hope no players get sick and they are all able to play in some capacity at some level, even if it isn't the WHL this year so their progress doesn't stall on the ice.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

At this point I really don't see them playing until 21-22 in full WHL mode.

The experiment in the Q isn't going as well as hoped.

Not sure what the provincial election has to do with anything really though.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
At this point I really don't see them playing until 21-22 in full WHL mode.

The experiment in the Q isn't going as well as hoped.

Not sure what the provincial election has to do with anything really though.

Ya I agree.. with each day thay passes where covid is outta control, the more likely the season will be cancelled.. seeing what is happening in the Q is showing what will happen everywhere else potentially it the season starts

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Looks like they changed date to hopefully re open the league to Jan 8th 2021. Previously it was Dec 4th.

Things not looking good... if things keep ramping up and numbers staying extremely high like it is now, I would imagine the season will be cancelled. I REALLY hope there is some hockey but there isnt a chance in hell it happens if covid numbers keep doing what they are doing.

I would think if numbers are high everywhere still by mid/late November, they will cancel the season

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Looks like they changed date to hopefully re open the league to Jan 8th 2021. Previously it was Dec 4th.

Things not looking good... if things keep ramping up and numbers staying extremely high like it is now, I would imagine the season will be cancelled. I REALLY hope there is some hockey but there isnt a chance in hell it happens if covid numbers keep doing what they are doing.

I would think if numbers are high everywhere still by mid/late November, they will cancel the season

I don't know if the WHL would openly say they're confident, knowing how things are going then all of a sudden go back and cancel it.

They are in direct contact with health officials, obviously both sides are aware of the risks, and what could happen. So my confidence is pretty high that the season will be a go and won't be cancelled.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
OHL just pushed their hopeful start date back to Feb 4th with alot fans thinking that the season will eventually be cancelled and now hoping that they can just get a full 2021/22 season... IMO WHL will be next... covid numbers are totally out of control in BC and Alberta now(obviously in USA too) and rules/restrictions are starting to ramp up more.

I truly hope there is even just a real partial season this year but unless the numbers start dramatically dropping today and everyday after, I dont see it. I spend alot of time in different arenas watching hockey and it will be a bizzare year if I cant this year.

This is just awful for teams and the kids in the league.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
OHL just pushed their hopeful start date back to Feb 4th with alot fans thinking that the season will eventually be cancelled and now hoping that they can just get a full 2021/22 season... IMO WHL will be next... covid numbers are totally out of control in BC and Alberta now(obviously in USA too) and rules/restrictions are starting to ramp up more.

I truly hope there is even just a real partial season this year but unless the numbers start dramatically dropping today and everyday after, I dont see it. I spend alot of time in different arenas watching hockey and it will be a bizzare year if I cant this year.

This is just awful for teams and the kids in the league.

You can't compare BC and Alberta with Ontario. Plus yesterday 67 percent of the cases in BC, were from Fraser Health. The lower mainland is what is out of control.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Quebec 102,000 overall, BC 13,588, Ontario 72,051. 81 percent of the uptick last weekend in BC were from the Fraser Health region.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
looking at total cases since begining of time is not really as relevant as total new cases per capita
BC still looking not too bad but AB and MB are not doing great
last two columns are in last 7 days in table below

ProvinceTOTALPER 100,000DAILY AVG. PER 100,000
Last 7 DaysLast 7 Days
Quebec101,8851,248952.711.7
Manitoba4,532355148.711.6
Alberta26,155643451.311.1
Ontario72,051536879.36.5
British Columbia13,588292247.75.3
Saskatchewan2,84125957.45.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
source Canada Covid Map and Case Count

Reactions: Juniorhockeyguru

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If that border-crossing is a problem, why not merge Canadian WHL and OHL teams to same league?

And same for Teams located in USA ?

Same what NHL is doing, building a Canadian Division. WHL/OHL will need American Division.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
941 cases in BC today and record numbers in Alberta lately... I dont see any way a season will be able to happen

Its getting extremely bad in BC

It's so friggin annoying

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad