Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign KHL goalie Vasili Demchenko

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
all a smoke screen to say battling with Lindgren...lol

there hoping like heck he has a decent camp ..and will be the backup to Price.

This is anther Montreal classic swing for the fences...
probably will be as Lindgren is good but has failed to grab the reigns completely as backup.Needs to up his game and hasn't yet.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'm not sure why this is confusing for people. The team doesn't trust Lindgren at all, he played 6 games this year and they were calling up Primeau instead of playing him. They want a backup who can play ~30 games so they signed a guy in his prime who had a .930 for three straight seasons as a starter in the second best league in the world for nothing but cash.

This doesn't mean there's a trade coming or they aren't going to sign anyone else. They can't sign any current NHLers yet and Demchenko wouldn't prevent them from signing another goalie. Teams don't make decisions like this and worry about organizational depth like Lindgren and McNiven. If the Canadiens signed a forward out of the KHL who might be an NHL 4th liner would we be sitting here wondering about what it means for Lukas Vejdemo?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I remember posting the link to Igor Zhukov mentioning the Habs's interest in Demchenko back in February in the Undrafted Thread. That is where the Trade Rumours website you linked got their info.

I knew there was a reason I felt like I heard Demchenko's name before.

Here is what the Zhukov article wrote, I had posted it in the Undrafted Thread:

Representatives of the Montreal Canadiens will fly to Magnitogorsk at the end of this week to watch Vasily Demchenko and a substantive interview with the 25-year-old goalkeeper. Canadians are interested in backup for Carey Price, the club is studying the market.

///

Demchenko is a graduate of the Tractor school; until recently, his entire career took place in Chelyabinsk. For the main team of the club system in the KHL, the keeper played 209 matches, he has 82 wins, 92.5% and 2.37, as well as 14 shutouts. In 22 matches of this season - 7 wins, 90.8% and 2.79. Demchenko is the bronze medalist of the MHL 2014 and 2015 + the bronze medalist of the KHL 2018 and the winner of the audience’s prize for the season 2018/2019. Also in his background - several challenges to the Russian Olympic team.

December 1, 2019 Demchenko became a player in Magnitogorsk after he was banned by Tractor, who made a dubious exchange of Demchenko / Galimov. Keeper took part in 11 matches of his new club, he has 2 wins, the percentage of reflected throws is 91.3%, the reliability coefficient is 2.63.

The team of Ilya Vorobyov ranks seventh in the east. On February 17, 21 and 23, she will play in Magnitogorsk with Kunlun Red Star, Neftekhimik and Salavat Yulaev.

In Chelyabinsk, Demchenko had a contract until April 30, 2020, approximately 40 million. After the season in the KHL, he will become a limited free agent.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
if this is the back up for Price, it's worse than Kinkaid....

I didn't like the Kinkaid signing at all...was one the record from day 1 ....

Seems like same old try to strike the lotto 649 ticket approach..lol

It's not an uncommon problem to fill the backup void competently when you have a "superstar" starter. The habs have had this issue for the majority of Price's career.

But the Rangers on the other hand have shown that it can be done. Lundqvist has had some good help over the last few years including rantaa, and Talbot. There's also georgiev and that Russian prospect in their system right now, whose name escapes me.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
he likely would never want to come back to Montreal

....but Halak would be the best option for a back up ....and he is a UFA

but were planning to be chumps for a few more years yet...so i guess not .,.

Reactions: Habitant le colon

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
They arent confident that Lingren can be an effective enough backup for price over an 82 game season, and want to develop Primeau in Laval as long as needed before calling him up to play 20 or so games behind Price.

Anything that keeps them from rushing Primeau's development is a good move in my books.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They arent confident that Lingren can be an effective enough backup for price over an 82 game season, and want to develop Primeau in Laval as long as needed before calling him up to play 20 or so games behind Price.

Anything that keeps them from rushing Primeau's development is a good move in my books.

Lingren is Condon......

I got no idea why they railroad McNiven like that.....Lindgren should have been moved....the Kinkaid signing was a costly one ..

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Lingren is Condon......

I got no idea why they railroad McNiven like that.....Lindgren should have been moved....the Kinkaid signing was a costly one ..

Agreed. I never liked the Kinkaid signing since day one and made it clear on here quite often. McNiven deserved to be an AHL regular in my eyes. Leaving him to rot in the ECHL was a dick move.

If you dont believe that Lindgren can be an effective NHL backup, what's the point in keeping him around? Doesnt make sense to me.

Reactions: Habaneros

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
What are the goalie rules for the expansion draft, protect Price and all the others are not protected ?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Meh, interesting signing but MB's resume with his backup goalies doesn't exactly spark a whole lot of confidence. Obviously I hope he does well but I'm well prepared to see Price start a boatload of games next year too because our backup can't stop a beach ball. Don't really know anything about this guy though so I won't analyze it any further. I don't have confidence in Lindgren and Primeau's better served at this point by getting minutes in Laval so it's good that there is at least something being done regarding the position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad