Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Alex Semin (1 year $1.1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JV

Feb 12, 2003
na
Visit site
I think he wants a chance to prove himself. When he looked at MTL lineup he saw that we are missing a top 6 winger.

I've not checked all teams but for sure mtl is one of the few good teams missing a top 6 winger.

If i was him i would be fairly confident i could beat Weise and Kassian for a top 6 role.

I agree with this. But MT trusts Weise on the defensive side of the puck and for honest effort. One big question mark is how much patience MT will show with him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
DLR can easily be sent to the AHL and there is no reason to assume that DSP will have an everyday spot in Montreal's lineup.

I expect DLR in AHL and DSP/Holloway/Rookie competing for #3RW spot. If DSP fails he will be 4th line LW. Of course bournival can be 4th LW too. Just forechecking with his speed. Who knows

It's good to have options though.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
At least we know that Galchenyuk is definitely playing center now. Semin can't play the right side because then we'd have Gallagher, Semin, Kassian, DSP and Weise on the right side. Now we'll have Gallagher, Kassian, DSP and Weise on RW, Pacioretty, Semin, DD and DLR on LW.

The Semin pick up has nothing to do with where Galchenyuk slots in the lineup. Semin will start the year on RW, in our top 6. Kassian, DLR, DSP, and Weise will be rotating through the bottom 6 positions, at least until Semin ends up in the dog house and Weise ends up on the top line.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The Semin pick up has nothing to do with where Galchenyuk slots in the lineup. Semin will start the year on RW, in our top 6. Kassian, DLR, DSP, and Weise will be rotating through the bottom 6 positions, at least until Semin ends up in the dog house and Weise ends up on the top line.

it could though as the hole created on wing by moving Galchenyuk to C can be filled after the acquisition.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
At least we know that Galchenyuk is definitely playing center now. Semin can't play the right side because then we'd have Gallagher, Semin, Kassian, DSP and Weise on the right side. Now we'll have Gallagher, Kassian, DSP and Weise on RW, Pacioretty, Semin, DD and DLR on LW.

It looks like you are pigeon holing players into pre-defined positions - it rarely works out that way. There are lots of decisions to make about which player works best where and those decisions are only going to be made after training camp, a few exhibition games and the first few games of the regular season.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Did he produce in the regular season? YES.
Did he produce in the playoffs? NO.
Did the Habs win a cup? NO.
Is he still a Hab? NO.

Fail.

I think MTL gain a lot of momentum from the Vanek trade and kinda gain some "credibility" and generated some Buzz around the league and the reason we were able to get so cheap is because everyone and their dog knew he was going to sign with the Wild has a UFA.
He didn't produce in the playoff but our line up was still better with him in it. The fact that we didn't win the cup has more to do with Price being injured and the NYR and LA having better team, rather than just Vanek not scoring...

I love Semin, Bigger, more skilled and better skater than PAP and at 1.1M$ even if he spend the year in the AHL it doesn't really cause any issue.

Even if I think we need to have realitic expectation, since there has to be a reason for CAR to buy him out or wasn't able to move is contract...

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I like that, there's no risk on that signing.

I think it will be positive. Also, I wanted to point out that it's interesting that Semin had great playoffs stats before playing against the Habs in 2010 :laugh:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I expect DLR in AHL and DSP/Holloway/Rookie competing for #3RW spot. If DSP fails he will be 4th line LW. Of course bournival can be 4th LW too. Just forechecking with his speed. Who knows

It's good to have options though.

Agreed. I really think Holloway will get a serious look. He could be a huge help for our secondary scoring. DLR in the AHL just makes sense. Management surely wants to see what they have in DSP before just relegating him to the 4th line but if Holloway cracks our top 9 then its a numbers game at that point and I think DSP would be the odd man out. Unless DD gets traded.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
who was the last player trending downwards in his career like semin then all of a sudden had a resurgence?

Who was the last player to have a bounce back year?

He's two years removed from a point a game season.

He's one year removed from a 22 goal season.

Last year was awful.

"Trending downwards" to describe one bad season is a little odd. Player have bad years and bounce back all the time. Asking for the last one is silly, there are dozens every season.

How about Devyn Dubnyk? Mike Ribiero? How about Dennis Wideman?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Who was the last player to have a bounce back year?

He's two years removed from a point a game season.

He's one year removed from a 22 goal season.

Last year was awful.

"Trending downwards" to describe one bad season is a little odd. Player have bad years and bounce back all the time. Asking for the last one is silly, there are dozens every season.

How about Devyn Dubnyk? Mike Ribiero? How about Dennis Wideman?

22 goals in 65 games which is worth noting. I don't like that he was apparently slower last year. Hopefully he can gain that step back. Otherwise he seems like a pretty safe bet for a bounce back season.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
If he had a significant injury CAR wouldn't have been able to buy him out and even without the shoot he is still bigger and faster than PAP.

My bet is the Habs probably did a medical check before committing to a deal.

I think it will be positive. Also, I wanted to point out that it's interesting that Semin had great playoffs stats before playing against the Habs in 2010 :laugh:

In fairness to Semin, it's not like any other Cap did well against the Habs in 2010. ;)

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax

I actually felt that Semin played very well in that series but Halak was simply ridiculous.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I'd be surprised if we put DLR back in the AHL, unless he asks to be demoted. He was relied on greatly all season including the playoffs, and being returned to the AHL would be seen as a demotion and would not being motivating. We committed to him, and so we should see it through unless he busts. Otherwise, he should never have been called up for so long. We may end up trading a bottom 6 player at one point if it seems we don't have space for him.

I'm stoked to see what Semin can do. We'll have a real interesting training camp and opening 6 weeks.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'd be surprised if we put DLR back in the AHL, unless he asks to be demoted. He was relied on greatly all season including the playoffs, and being returned to the AHL would be seen as a demotion and would not being motivating. We committed to him, and so we should see it through unless he busts. Otherwise, he should never have been called up for so long. We may end up trading a bottom 6 player at one point if it seems we don't have space for him.

I'm stoked to see what Semin can do. We'll have a real interesting training camp and opening 6 weeks.

Lapierre, Pacioretty and others are recent examples of players who played half a season or more with habs and went back to the AHL.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Semin-Galchenyuk-Kassian
DD-Eller-DSP
Flynn-Mitchell-Weise
Bournival

DLR may be better than the 4th liners but he's not better than much of the top 9. He's young and is likely the first call up for the bottom 6.

He can still make the team obviously but if he makes it that means someone in top 9 was brutal(Semin, Kassian maybe) or he was amazing. I think the 2nd is unlikely given his upside and age(stage of development).

He didn't score at a big pace in the AHL either. It's best we keep him there and let him play with the new players who will go pro.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I think MTL gain a lot of momentum from the Vanek trade and kinda gain some "credibility" and generated some Buzz around the league and the reason we were able to get so cheap is because everyone and their dog knew he was going to sign with the Wild has a UFA.
He didn't produce in the playoff but our line up was still better with him in it. The fact that we didn't win the cup has more to do with Price being injured and the NYR and LA having better team, rather than just Vanek not scoring...

I love Semin, Bigger, more skilled and better skater than PAP and at 1.1M$ even if he spend the year in the AHL it doesn't really cause any issue.

Even if I think we need to have realitic expectation, since there has to be a reason for CAR to buy him out or wasn't able to move is contract...

Not beating the NYRs because of Price is an excuse. Winners don't find excuses, they find ways to win no matter the obstacles.

Did Chicago win a cup with a horrible goalie?

VL55

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
Not beating the NYRs because of Price is an excuse. Winners don't find excuses, they find ways to win no matter the obstacles.

Which means every year there are 29 teams of miserable losers who couldn't find ways to win no matter the obstacles and only one team of winner?

But then, what merit does that team of winners have, since they only beat teams of losers who couldn't find ways to win no matter the obstacles?

Man, I hate these Disney movie quotes about winners. They sound straight out of 'The Secret'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad