Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Alex Semin (1 year $1.1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
If Semin signed with a different team at 1.1M everyone would be up in arms about Bergevin missing out on him.

Some would be, no doubt...me among them.

I have a feeling, however, some others would be praising MB for showing some real faith in our young players and passing up on yet another washed-up, extremely questionable project; plus, it's only July 27th!!

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's speculation to say that semin didn't get other offers. Actually, I'm inclined to believe that the reason that semin took so long to sign is to see if he could get a better offer in the NHL, and to re-evaluate just how much he values playing in the NHL versus the KHL where you would think that he had more lucrative offers.

1yr/1.1 mil is the furthest thing from desperation on MB's part to acquire a player like semin.

If there is any desperation to speak of, its from semin by accepting the offer, and knowing that he may not have options at all in the NHL with another poor season.

I agree with your post, Semin will want to prove himself and earn another contract, we will see the best of him and maybe sign him again for maybe a 3 year deal. This is a major upgrade for us, just like when we got Kovalev.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
This team needed to address the power play. Substituting DD and PAP with Kassian (net front presence) and Semin is an upgrade on the PP, as is moving Chuck to center. Hopefully it works....I'm picturing Markov crisp passes to Semin on the half wall that quickly find the back of the net...it's Markov's favourite play.

We're getting the 2015 Semin. I don't think anyone knows for sure what we'll get. Can Semin have a bounce back year the way Alexei Kovalev could? Or is Semin already permanently washed up in his early 30s like Danny Heatley, Martin Havlat, et al.?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
If Semin signed with a different team at 1.1M everyone would be up in arms about Bergevin missing out on him.

I am fairly critical of Bergevin and I would agree with this. I would have been one of them too. I am not a fan of Semin the player, but the fact remains that this is a good contract and could pay off in a big pay.

I would have preferred Bergevin make a bigger impact, but after several swings and misses he had to do something and it would have been irresponsible not to pursue the Semin route. I'd much rather roll the dice with Semin than be the team that desperately signs Boyes.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

I have a feeling, however, some others would be praising MB for showing some real faith in our young players and passing up on yet another washed-up, extremely questionable project; plus, it's only July 27th!!

Don't worry, if a young player shows enough either in training camp or during the AHL season, he will get his opportunity. This actually might make them work a little harder to prove they belong.

At the same time, Semin's contract is so small that he can be buried in the minors if he really bombs out and it barely affects the cap. The bonus would be if he returned back to form and could score 25-30 goals.

So it is not a questionable project; it is a calculated decision with almost zero downside.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

The young players need a chance eventually. Don't be surprised to see one make the team by end of the year. All this does is not pressure them into a role.

Unlike a long term signing, this can be rather low key in terms of a stop gap. Of course, if semin kills it. The skill and the right hand shot which we need it can lead to maybe a 1-2 year extension and us packaging our surplus for another player.

People live in a fantasy world sometimes though. I'm a little optimistic but Semin, Kassian and DSP all have potential to be duds or perfect in their roles. As such guys like DD will be in backup. Guys like Scherbak, Hudon, Andrighetto, etc... may still be called upon to fill in holes with injuries or slumps.

As for "It's only July 27th". Many argued that free agency was over and this happened now. Reality is, it's a fair argument, plenty of time until season starts so patience is a good thing even if the big moves are generally over.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The best teams are the ones with too many players that should be on the roster. Worse case scenario is a trade for more assets. Good place to be.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I agree.

Obviously we can't know for sure, but here's how I see it:
There's 30 teams in the league, and we know one of them wasn't in on him for sure (Carolina lol).
You would have to assume that he wanted to sign with a team that made the playoffs last year with maybe a few exceptions, LA maybe?
Anyway of the 16 playoff teams I'm sure there's some that literally could not even afford to give him 1.1M there up against the cap so tight, although I'm no cap expert, Chicago comes to mind.
Then factor in the teams that are set in their top 6/top 9 (depending how many offensive lines they run), and didn't have any interest in taking a chance on him.

That was just taking into account teams that would want to, and would be able to sign him. Then you have to think about what he wants, which is probably a team that is competitive every year but probably lacking offense so they'll be forced to give him ice time in a sense. A bonus is if this team struggles on the PP, so they'll rely on him a bit there as well, allowing him to showcase his strengths.
Sound like I'm describing the Habs at all?
Add in the fact that we have a few Russian players, which might make him feel more comfortable, and make the assimilation process to a new team happen faster which is important when you're on a one year deal.

Then the final factor is that he just got bought out, so while money is always important, it's not at the forefront of his decision making. As Des Louise put it, it's in his best interest to make sure he puts himself in the best situation to succeed this season, even if he leaves a lot of money on the table, because 1 good season now will lead to more money in the following years.

Oh, and maybe he just wants a shot at a Stanley Cup and we were the best team looking to sign him? I know, I know, it's far fetched he would want a cup, he's not a good ol' Canadian boy after all :sarcasm:

I think he wants a chance to prove himself. When he looked at MTL lineup he saw that we are missing a top 6 winger.

I've not checked all teams but for sure mtl is one of the few good teams missing a top 6 winger.

If i was him i would be fairly confident i could beat Weise and Kassian for a top 6 role.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think he wants a chance to prove himself. When he looked at MTL lineup he saw that we are missing a top 6 winger.

I've not checked all teams but for sure mtl is one of the few good teams missing a top 6 winger.

If i was him i would be fairly confident i could beat Weise and Kassian for a top 6 role.

Isn't Anaheim missing a LWer on top line? He played for Boudreau before too. Some of his best seasons.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Isn't Anaheim missing a LWer on top line? He played for Boudreau before too. Some of his best seasons.

Maybe Anaheim did not want him? For sure mtl is not the only good team missing a top 6 winger but what i meant is his options are thin and while mtl might not have been the only team interested at this price maybe it was the only team meeting his criteria for a prove yourself contract.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Maybe Anaheim did not want him? For sure mtl is not the only good team missing a top 6 winger but what i meant is his options are thin and while mtl might not have been the only team interested at this price maybe it was the only team meeting his criteria for a prove yourself contract.

All I meant was that maybe Anaheim was interested too. Like I said, history with Boudreau. Maybe he just chose Montréal. He's played in the east his whole career, it might help his decision. Easier travel.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
At least we know that Galchenyuk is definitely playing center now. Semin can't play the right side because then we'd have Gallagher, Semin, Kassian, DSP and Weise on the right side. Now we'll have Gallagher, Kassian, DSP and Weise on RW, Pacioretty, Semin, DD and DLR on LW.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It's nearly impossible to imagine that Alex Semin is desperate to find employment with his skill, size and age, almost as hard to imagine Bergevin the GM of a Habs team that finished the last season with 110 points for 2nd overall in the NHL. Truly leaves one wondering what some people consider desperation/inspiration, not nearly the same things. Inspirational would be more in line for the Semin signing, surely Semin weighed his options, Carolina wasn't going to be in the Stanley Cup Finals or the playoffs, but Montreal on the other hand may very well be considered favorites, especially with another marksman like Semin. So I prefer to remain optimistic with the prospect of Semin's abilities to perform at "A" level when healthy and in a hockey environment like Montreal the "Mecca of Professional Hockey" where all eyes will be on our march to the 25th Stanley Cup Championship. Go Habs Go !!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
At least we know that Galchenyuk is definitely playing center now. Semin can't play the right side because then we'd have Gallagher, Semin, Kassian, DSP and Weise on the right side. Now we'll have Gallagher, Kassian, DSP and Weise on RW, Pacioretty, Semin, DD and DLR on LW.

DLR can easily be sent to the AHL and there is no reason to assume that DSP will have an everyday spot in Montreal's lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad