Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Alex Semin (1 year $1.1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnKordicsGhost

Jul 1, 2013
1.1 million? why would anyone have a problem with this signing? He works out, sweet, he doesn't we all go back to eating our breakfasts.

only scary thing is if he pans out, we are going to have to worry about re-signing him to a 6 year 50 million dollar deal lol. then he'll for sure suck

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
4 pages of HF and not a single complaint. WTFFFFFFFFFFF

hahaha!! 1.1miliion reasons NOT to complain!!
(1st...what a bargain!! based on his playoff stats he actually performs during playoffs...that's my favorite part).

I would have given him TWO years at 1.1mil per (great bargain, but still happy we got him at 1.1... I really thought it would be 2.5 or 3mil/year...that would have pissed me off!).

I wish Semin (or Kassian or Weise) were LEFTIES, but...this is a good problem to have...many RIGHTIES (Gallagher, Semin, Kassian, Weise, DSP, Mitchell, Flynn,etc,etc).

Let DLR and Hudon develop (in the AHL) and get them ready for the 2016 playoffs. No rush since we have more top 9 depth and even 4th line depth...:handclap:

But, I really do like Charles Hudon for our 3rd line since he's a leftie and a two-way player with lots of offensive skills. Maybe we will see Hudon for 2016 playoffs...I hope so since we can use his offensive skills VS DLR's defense-only game (maximize DLR's offensive potential in the AHL).

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
1.1 million? why would anyone have a problem with this signing? He works out, sweet, he doesn't we all go back to eating our breakfasts.

only scary thing is if he pans out, we are going to have to worry about re-signing him to a 6 year 50 million dollar deal lol. then he'll for sure suck

Semin just came off a 5 year 7 mil per year deal and got bought out in prime age. He's not getting more term and money.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
(1st...what a bargain!! based on his playoff stats he actually performs during playoffs...that's my favorite part).

I would have given him TWO years at 1.1mil per (great bargain, but still happy we got him at 1.1... I really thought it would be 2.5 or 3mil/year...that would have pissed me off!).

I wish Semin (or Kassian or Weise) were LEFTIES, but...this is a good problem to have...many RIGHTIES (Gallagher, Semin, Kassian, Weise, DSP, Mitchell, Flynn,etc,etc).

Let DLR and Hudon develop (in the AHL) and get them ready for the 2016 playoffs. No rush since we have more top 9 depth and even 4th line depth...:handclap:

But, I really do like Charles Hudon for our 3rd line since he's a leftie and a two-way player with lots of offensive skills. Maybe we will see Hudon for 2016 playoffs...I hope so since we can use his offensive skills VS DLR's defense-only game (maximize DLR's offensive potential in the AHL).

Semin plays LW. So we can't even complain about that. :laugh:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
SCOUTING REPORT on SEMIN:

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?3065

STATS (playoff stats, not bad at all! It's all about the playoffs! imo):

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?3065#

Kassian and semin for 2.85 mil or prust for 2.5 :sarcasm:

Exactly...that's what I was thinking (and don't forget that 5th rnd pick!! 5th rnd picks for us...Gallagher and Hudon:handclap:).

Kassian+Semin(2.85mil)+5th rnd pick...for...Prust (2.5mil).

We definitely improved our Habs. Definitely. No-brainer.

Semin plays LW. So we can't even complain about that. :laugh:

Yeah, thanks...after reading a few pages I noticed that Semin plays or can play LEFT-WING. Great news!

But...does anyone here know if he played mostly as a left-winger or right-winger? (in Wash and Carolina...but recently, Carolina, would of course be better/more recent info,etc).

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Either Therrien will immediately bury him with unsuitable linemates and he won't score or he'll start to score, make a defensive error, and Therrien will gleefully bury him. Either way he ends up proving the lazy Russian narrative and getting run out of town.

I suppose it is possible he shores up his defensive game and ends up being a productive third liner... Or that he gets "stuck with" Eller and they start scoring.

It's also possible Therrien surprises me. His mind has been much more open than I would have expected the last year or two.

1.1 million dollar contracts can be pretty much completely buried so the risk is low.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He has 12 points in his last 30 playoff games........he has been complete garbage in the post season in his most recent performances and will be 4 years removed from being in them by the time the 2016 playoffs start. His last good playoff performance was 7 years ago.......I would suggest that you temper your enthusiasm.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
He has 12 points in his last 30 playoff games........he has been complete garbage in the post season in his most recent performances and will be 4 years removed from being in them by the time the 2016 playoffs start. His last good playoff performance was 7 years ago.......I would suggest that you temper your enthusiasm.

That's still a better scoring rate, than Desharnais... Horrifyingly.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

The myth of Semin grows. It's hilarious how he has been turned into a high end superstar in the last few days.

The expectations should be big time tempered here. On this team I'd be surprised if he scored 20 goals. For 1.1M, it's a win-win move...but could say that about any of the UFA's out there at this point.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Either Therrien will immediately bury him with unsuitable linemates and he won't score or he'll start to score, make a defensive error, and Therrien will gleefully bury him. Either way he ends up proving the lazy Russian narrative and getting run out of town.

I suppose it is possible he shores up his defensive game and ends up being a productive third liner... Or that he gets "stuck with" Eller and they start scoring.

It's also possible Therrien surprises me. His mind has been much more open than I would have expected the last year or two.

1.1 million dollar contracts can be pretty much completely buried so the risk is low.

Semin will never be on the 3rd line....However, it IS MT

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, thanks...after reading a few pages I noticed that Semin plays or can play LEFT-WING. Great news!

But...does anyone here know if he played mostly as a left-winger or right-winger? (in Wash and Carolina...but recently, Carolina, would of course be better/more recent info,etc).

Semin only played RW in Carolina.
In Washington, he played LW on the second line and RW when promoted to the first line.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The myth of Semin grows. It's hilarious how he has been turned into a high end superstar in the last few days.

The expectations should be big time tempered here. On this team I'd be surprised if he scored 20 goals. For 1.1M, it's a win-win move...but could say that about any of the UFA's out there at this point.

Agreed, he was hands down the biggest bum in the entire league last season.

I absolutely despise him but do acknowledge his talent. Hopefully he finds some motivation this season but I would not count on it. At the end of the day it is a very cheap signing so the risk is minimal.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

The best UFAs this season all score at around a 20-goal pace and signed for around $4-5M. Bergevin didn't get any of them, but instead got a player who will likely score as many goals for four/fives times less money. Definitely win-win.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The best UFAs this season all score at around a 20-goal pace and signed for around $4-5M. Bergevin didn't get any of them, but instead got a player who will likely score as many goals for four/fives times less money. Definitely win-win.

LOL, you can spin it any way you want. He had 6 goals last year and is 32 years old coming off some injuries...not to mention attitude concerns. Lets take Beleskey for instance. 5 years younger with 22 goals last year and is heading into his prime. Positive trajectory. Semin's trajectory is downwards and he's coming off injuries, poor playoff performances and character concerns.

There's a reason why he was highly courted while Semin was not. But hey, if Semin was signed by say the Leafs, I wonder what you and the others would say about it. Doubt it would be positive.

Maybe you know more than the other teams who still chose to go after the Beleskeys of the world over the Semins on day 1.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Semin only played RW in Carolina.
In Washington, he played LW on the second line and RW when promoted to the first line.

Thanks.

It seems like some people are saying that Semin can play left-wing?, but he must be better as a RW (since he spent most of his NHL career as a right-winger, etc). It all depends on how effective he is...I don't want Emelin on the right side anymore...and maybe Semin is more comfortable/effective on the RIGHT-side...?

I'm not a Semin fan, but at 1.1mil...I am now!!hahaha!!

And, yeah...*sigh*...I just looked again at his playoff stats (more carefully!), and yes Semin has not really produced properly in recent playoffs (I was salivating at the 14pts in 14playoff games, but that was awhile ago!! still...!!). And for me it's all about playoffs (that's why I liked Rene Bourque...approx.10 playoff goals in approx. 20 playoff games for us...we needed some of those goals in the recent 2015 playoffs,etc).

But who knows...maybe he can help in the goals department for playoffs or help our PP. 2-3 big goals is all we need from him. To me...every playoff goal is worth 4 or regular season goals. It's all about the CUP (or going as far as possible every season).

Anyways...there is ZERO RISK since it's 1.1mil and only for 1 year...where's the risk?
Drewiskie was almost making 1mil last year, no? DREWISKIE!! (or not that far from 1mil!). I didn't want Semin for 2.5 or 3mil... but I really like this 1.1 number! A win-win/no-brainer.

As for enthusiasm/excitement...it's good for us Hab fans to be enthusiastic (I think most of us know that this player, that player make not have success, but being enthusiastic is only natural...and it feels good!!). Life would be TOO depressing IF we didn't get excited here and there, no?

Cheers

Good idea to get Bourque at the March trade deadline? (he will be UFA next summer...he may play super well in playoffs 2016):

Galchenyuk-Pleks-Gallagher
Pacioretty-DD-Kassian
Bourque-Eller-Semin
DSP-Mitchell-Weise

Flynn
Bournival
DLR (AHL)

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It's true, Bergevin will have a tough decision if Semin has a great season.

Even if Semin sores 25-30, no way I give him a long term deal at a high cap hit. It's a young man's game and he's aging. If that's what he wants I'll look elsewhere to spend the money. Ak46 on a short term deal?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
About where he plays, I hope Micheal Terrien experiments with his new two potential offensive weapons and the young guys knocking at the door (Semin, Kassian, Hudon, Ghetto, Scherbak, McCarron).

some combos I'd be curious to see are

Pacioretty DD/Pleks/Galchenyuk Semin

Pacioretty DD/Pleks/Galchenyuk Kassian

Pacioretty DD/Pleks Galchenyuk

Semin Pleks Gallagher

Ghetto/Hudon Pleks/Eller Semin

I'm looking forward to training camp...Congrats to Bergy for moving and bringing in Kassian and Semin to try to get the offense going without sacrificing the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad