Confirmed with Link: Canadiens name Chantal Machabée as VP of Communications

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
you could imagine this move was done before bringing a new GM in town.

She was actually offered the job only a few days after Bergevin (and, more relevant here, Wilson) have been fired.

But she's isn't accountable to Gorton; she's accountable to France Margaret Belanger.

Reactions: KotkaZuki

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Neat. So this type of stuff shouldn’t be reported at all? Executive hired always are.
It's almost as relevant to us as a new gym coach hire.
Actually, that could have more effect on the on-ice product than VP communications.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't think money is part of the equation. She was doing quite well at RDS, probably a whole lot more that you can imagine.
True.............but she was a reporter at RDS............she is a VP of Communications now....I just have a hunch she is doing very well with her new compensation pkg. Not to mention this would be a pinnacle type of job for someone at RDS, or TVA.

Reactions: Runner77

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
A VP is not a gym coach.

I have nothing against this announcement and I'm happy for Chantal, but I agree with the other guy.

And I'd argue the gym coach is more beneficial to the players than the VP of communications

Both important positions in their own respect...but one affects the team on the ice and the other affects the team off the ice.

Reactions: Mandalorian

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
True.............but she was a reporter at RDS............she is a VP of Communications now....I just have a hunch she is doing very well with her new compensation pkg. Not to mention this would be a pinnacle type of job for someone at RDS, or TVA.
Probably close to double what she was making at RDS

Reactions: BLONG7

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I have nothing against this announcement and I'm happy for Chantal, but I agree with the other guy.

And I'd argue the gym coach is more beneficial to the players than the VP of communications

Both important positions in their own respect...but one affects the team on the ice and the other affects the team off the ice.

The argument is not what is beneficial to the players… why are the goalposts moving here?

The first post I replied to made it seem like the Habs shouldn’t announce this hiring at all.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The argument is not what is beneficial to the players… why are the goalposts moving here?

The first post I replied to made it seem like the Habs shouldn’t announce this hiring at all.

What goalposts...I just joined this now so maybe I was the one that accidentally shifted it.

I have no problem with this announcement, it has zero effects on the team but I like Chantal and always had a childhood crush on her (I think I still do) so good for her.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Reactions: SwiftyHab

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Most interesting and competent journalist this province has seen. Even her take on Mailloux live on 98 sports got me teared up. Talked about how the only victim here is that woman, and spinned into the positive process the habs and the player need to go through. She’s like the Oprah of quebec sports ;) the other 99% just intonate loudly spewing opinion pieces on who looks like they try hard and what language who speaks. Fans, journalists, players and the org love her.
She sounds like an amazing person and will be a valuable member of the Montreal Canadiens org,

Reactions: Naslundforever

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
VPs get a thread.

John Sedgwick got a thread too back when he got extended.

If you don't care about it, don't click the thread.
Frustrated sarcasm from me. Being a little juvenile waiting for some GM management or asset movement on this team.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Well the new regime has scored a resounding victory in the Public Relations battle.

Small but important step towards the organization's rebranding.
The only meaningful rebranding to most fans will be the opportunity to communicate the team’s on ice success.

Reactions: 417 and rik schau

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Taken from her article in the Gazette.

What’s her main mandate in her new job with the Canadiens?

“I don’t want the media to be the enemy anymore. I think we can work together … I know we can and I’m going to work on that. This city needs heroes. I want people to know the players better. They’re not only numbers, they’re not only statistics, they’re human beings. Players are not afraid now to talk about their problems, what they’re going through, their struggles, and it’s important that they show they’re human beings. I want people to realize that it’s not normal they get criticized the way they do. Sometimes it goes overboard, especially on social media.”

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Taken from her article in the Gazette.

What’s her main mandate in her new job with the Canadiens?

“I don’t want the media to be the enemy anymore. I think we can work together … I know we can and I’m going to work on that. This city needs heroes. I want people to know the players better. They’re not only numbers, they’re not only statistics, they’re human beings. Players are not afraid now to talk about their problems, what they’re going through, their struggles, and it’s important that they show they’re human beings. I want people to realize that it’s not normal they get criticized the way they do. Sometimes it goes overboard, especially on social media.”

She said the same on RDS the day they announced her hiring.

She said that the reason we're still attached to players like Lafleur, Roy, Lambert, etc., is because we didn't know them only as players, we got to know the person. Because they were accessible.

This is what she wants to bring. The accessibility. To get to know the players and management better than we did before.

She'll also continue to make TV and radio appearances (not as regularly as she does now) to continue keeping the media and fans aware of what's going on.

Reactions: amethyst and peate

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don't even know what this job description does,how relevant is it to on ice performance?
It's about as relevant to the on ice product as announcing a new singer/performer of the national anthem. Complete deflection. She'll be communicating the news about the lingering effects of almost 30 years of mismanagement. No matter how you package it, market it or spin it, we are all going to have to endure at least 3 more years of on ice ineptitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad