Confirmed with Link: Canadiens name Chantal Machabée as VP of Communications

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
" I don't want the media to be the enemy anymore," she said.

Interesting that the new regime feels we all need to row the boat together...(wonder how they will get the posters rowing?)

I think that this is an encouraging sign.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
It's about as relevant to the on ice product as announcing a new singer/performer of the national anthem. Complete deflection. She'll be communicating the news about the lingering effects of almost 30 years of mismanagement. No matter how you package it, market it or spin it, we are all going to have to endure at least 3 more years of on ice ineptitude.

That's sound about right.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
It's not. It's a lot more related to media interaction. It affects us because it can affect the media coverage of the team.

How so? will they divulge things not previously divulged,elaborate more? Will reporters be able to ask questions without repercussions. Will players actually say meaningful things without being bots?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How so? will they divulge things not previously divulged,elaborate more? Will reporters be able to ask questions without repercussions. Will players actually say meaningful things without being bots?

We will see how she deal with things, but yes it could mean the media could have greater access to the team and more freedom to ask actual questions.

How much it actually changes remains to be seen.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Taken from her article in the Gazette.

What’s her main mandate in her new job with the Canadiens?

“I don’t want the media to be the enemy anymore. I think we can work together … I know we can and I’m going to work on that. This city needs heroes. I want people to know the players better. They’re not only numbers, they’re not only statistics, they’re human beings. Players are not afraid now to talk about their problems, what they’re going through, their struggles, and it’s important that they show they’re human beings. I want people to realize that it’s not normal they get criticized the way they do. Sometimes it goes overboard, especially on social media.”

What's that I smell? right,a load of crap!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's about as relevant to the on ice product as announcing a new singer/performer of the national anthem. Complete deflection. She'll be communicating the news about the lingering effects of almost 30 years of mismanagement. No matter how you package it, market it or spin it, we are all going to have to endure at least 3 more years of on ice ineptitude.
But this time, we have a thinking man in the top spot, not a cheer leader who ran things on a hunch....the lingering of the Rinse and Repeat era, is going to be har to get rid of............2-3 seasons should do it. We should see a direction from the new guys, fairly soon.......probably the Trade deadline will tell us what we need to know.

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
But this time, we have a thinking man in the top spot, not a cheer leader who ran things on a hunch....the lingering of the Rinse and Repeat era, is going to be har to get rid of............2-3 seasons should do it. We should see a direction from the new guys, fairly soon.......probably the Trade deadline will tell us what we need to know.
How management maximizes its assets and succeeds in shedding onerous contracts at the trade deadline will largely determine the team’s short and medium term success.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Taken from her article in the Gazette.

What’s her main mandate in her new job with the Canadiens?

“I don’t want the media to be the enemy anymore. I think we can work together … I know we can and I’m going to work on that. This city needs heroes. I want people to know the players better. They’re not only numbers, they’re not only statistics, they’re human beings. Players are not afraid now to talk about their problems, what they’re going through, their struggles, and it’s important that they show they’re human beings. I want people to realize that it’s not normal they get criticized the way they do. Sometimes it goes overboard, especially on social media.”
Yeah no. If anything, we need to get away from hero worship of pro athletes, not double down on it. They are human and like all humans they have failings. Once you elevate them into heroes you're setting them up for a fall.

What the city needs aren't heroes but talented hockey players coached and managed by competent people. I don't want to know the players better and if I were a player I wouldn't want the general public knowing anything about me away from the rink. Players mean nothing to me outside of what they can produce on the ice. I don't care that Victor Mete was a nice guy. He was a garbage hockey player and that's all he'll ever be to me. I don't know him and I don't want to. All I care about are results. Focus on trying to win games and leave the human interest stories alone. I only care about them at all while they're wearing a Habs uniform. Once they are no longer doing that, they are dead to me.

Chantal's job will be much easier when she can spend her time talking about how well the team is playing instead of having to make excuses on behalf of players and management for why it isn't. There is not a single problem in the world of pro sports that can't be solved by winning. So the only mandate that any team, from the owner down to the peanut vendors, should have is to win.

And the only conversations that Chantal should be having with the media are the kind that focus on what the team is doing to try to win hockey games.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I'm ok with watching 3 years of young players' growing pains, guys like a Romanov making mistakes and learn from them, etc.

I'm not ok watching 10 years of Steve Ott, Armia floating at 4M$, Drouin floating at 5.5M$... Danault on a 1st line...

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I think we have just witnessed a big shift. The players were actually much more honest in the recent interviews. Admitting that this season is a lost cause is a big shift from the usual rhetoric.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I'm ok with watching 3 years of young players' growing pains, guys like a Romanov making mistakes and learn from them, etc.

I'm not ok watching 10 years of Steve Ott, Armia floating at 4M$, Drouin floating at 5.5M$... Danault on a 1st line...
Boy, your demanding. Asking for purpose and direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad