Confirmed with Link: Canadiens Hire Jeff Gorton EVP of Hockey Operations

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Hey guys,

What could you tell us in Montreal about Jeff Gorton? What should we expect?!
He knew when to blow up the Rangers to rebuild rather than allow the team to stay mediocre for a few more years. That was a ballsy, great decision in my opinion. He bought out Henrik Lundqvist to free up cap space too - another ballsy correct decision.

He also robbed a few teams on some trades, but then got robbed on some other trades.

Most of his first round draft picks, (not talking about Laf and Kakko) have not been mega-successful so far. But he's also drafted well past the first round.

Contracts were a mixed bag, but nothing that was crazy bad.

Personally, I think he was a good GM with a solid vision for the team before he got fired. The most questionable of all his decisions was sticking with Coach Quinn for so long and not balancing the lineup with enough size.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He knew when to blow up the Rangers to rebuild rather than allow the team to stay mediocre for a few more years. That was a ballsy, great decision in my opinion. He bought out Henrik Lundqvist to free up cap space too - another ballsy correct decision.

He also robbed a few teams on some trades, but then got robbed on some other trades.

Most of his first round draft picks, (not talking about Laf and Kakko) have not been mega-successful so far. But he's also drafted well past the first round.

Contracts were a mixed bag, but nothing that was crazy bad.

Personally, I think he was a good GM with a solid vision for the team before he got fired. The most questionable of all his decisions was sticking with Coach Quinn for so long and not balancing the lineup with enough size.

He got caught up in the fad of "new-NHL small and fast teams" that was the hot fashion for a while. The problem with that is like sunlight: the light from the sun is actually old while the light that just emitted is still on the way to Earth. By the time he caught on to the fast/small/skilled trend, the next trend had already begun (fast and heavy).

The Quinn thing... in theory, he was a fit because he taught and grew kids. It backfired because he taught professional players how to college hockey. Play by the system, don't take risks, heap minutes onto those who get their jobs done. It only drove players want to not play the system.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He got caught up in the fad of "new-NHL small and fast teams" that was the hot fashion for a while. The problem with that is like sunlight: the light from the sun is actually old while the light that just emitted is still on the way to Earth. By the time he caught on to the fast/small/skilled trend, the next trend had already begun (fast and heavy).

I don't think that's really true. He talked lots about wanting to make the team heavier, harder to play against, but I feel like initially he was primarily going after skill, which is fine. He maybe waited too long to make a move on getting "heavier" but it was in the plans, and I'd still rather start with and have skill first

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
His most impressive accomplishment was that in a major hockey market he convinced dinosaurs like Glen Sather and Jim Dolan that a team that still had some very talented players needed to be torn down. Given that team also still had a future hall of fame goaltender and franchise icon seeking his first cup just makes it even more impressive.

In hindsight, the fact that "the letter" even happened with a major franchise sporting a lunatic owner like Dolan is incredibly surprising. If that happened with a small market team like the Blue Jackets or the Ducks it wouldn't be a big deal but to pull that off with the Rangers is impressive in itself.

Of course, as others have pointed out, while the big picture vision was correct the actual implementation and execution was not the greatest. We got less out of that tear down than we probably should have gotten and most of the positive aspects of the rebuild (Fox, Laf, Kakko) came mostly from luck and circumstance.

I think if the dinosaurs stayed out of it he would have done fine here, i still believe Sather is running things here and Gorton wasn't his "yes" man so he waited until something happened that he could dump him and replace him with his yes guy in Drury. This was the season that this team and management was waiting for where they had some cap relief and the kids were getting older, this was the first year we wete able to actively look for players to add to this team and have some cap space to do it with.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Gotta watch out for that language police!

I was in Gatineau years ago, calling a cab. The menu, in French, asked me to press 5 for English. Yeah …

For a city that relies on tourism and kids coming to our universities; we sure have special "leaders". I could tell you a thousand tales but get myself in trouble with the mods.

Last edited:
Reactions: CasusBelli

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I don't think that's really true. He talked lots about wanting to make the team heavier, harder to play against, but I feel like initially he was primarily going after skill, which is fine. He maybe waited too long to make a move on getting "heavier" but it was in the plans, and I'd still rather start with and have skill first
He got enamored with skill, I think, when he had the fortune of getting the #1 and #2 picks in successive years and landing a very eager Panarin. And as others have pointed out, his character selections like Andersson and Lemieux blew up in his face.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kind of impressive for a guy that isn’t a part of the NHL’s old boys club

Gorton would have had his choice of jobs. I was listening to Elliotte Friedman on the Jeff Marek show. Elliotte said he asked someone about Gorton being hired as a GM with another team and that person said Gorton is going to Montreal. The Habs didn't waste time and wait for another team to hire Gorton.

Not bad for a guy who didn't play college hockey or any level of hockey. He didn't go to law school. Gorton got his start in the Bruins front office by picking up players and executives at the airport. They gave him more and more responsibilities. Harry Sinden and Mike O'Connell brought him along.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Gorton would have had his choice of jobs. I was listening to Elliotte Friedman on the Jeff Marek show. Elliotte said he asked someone about Gorton being hired as a GM with another team and that person said Gorton is going to Montreal. The Habs didn't waste time and wait for another team to hire Gorton.

Not bad for a guy who didn't play college hockey or any level of hockey. He didn't go to law school. Gorton got his start in the Bruins front office by picking up players and executives at the airport. They gave him more and more responsibilities. Harry Sinden and Mike O'Connell brought him along.
Love you as a poster but yeah... this EASILY could be the resume of -insert great name here- who turns out to be legendary

Not everyone has Joseph Kennedy as their dad.

rubco55

Feb 15, 2016
Toronto
Bergevin was the worst GM in Habs history. We went to the finals with a team that shouldn't and wouldn't have made the playoffs in a normal season. We benefitted from playing weak Canadian teams and went on a Cinderella run. The year before, we made the playoffs a 10th place team. Missed the playoffs the seasons before that.
Worst GM?....you make no sense at all.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I'm sure this has been mentioned but very interesting/unique that gorts has now has been in major positions for 3 of the 6 original six teams.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kravtsov? Rangers let Gorton’s Russia guy Bobrov go. If Gorton brings him back and they decide on some kind of rebuild I could see potential for Kravtsov to Montreal.
I could see Krav to MON but not at giveaway prices.

let's see Jeff and Chris have some fun
Krav/Gauth/Georgie/Hajek/Henriksson/Tarnstrom/Aaltonen (guys Gorts drafted/signed/traded-for)
Guhle/Mysak/Tuch/Poehling/Jake Allen/Chiarot/Kulak/Dobes

then NYR send Nemeth and Tinordi to contenders
maybe Nemeth for Reilly Smith (Cap savings and term favor VGK)

2 rental LHD for this year, easing way for Jones and Guhle next

I could get behind most of that, although imo Gauthier is a keeper

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Grotans trying to speak french was f***ing hilarious.

Haha, maybe not the best. But the majority of us were happy with his effort. Also he handled our media like a pro. He seemed to leave the Rangers in pretty good shape. I'm hoping he can do the same for us.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Heck of a resume so far for Gorton. Bruins, Rangers, and now Habs. 53 years young. He's not perfect but he's very good at what he does--I'm still conflicted about how Dolan handled things.
It’s hard to say things aren’t improved this year given their record. It’s also hard to say Gorton wouldn’t have done mostly the same moves as Drury.

Heck, it’s possible that Gorton could’ve gotten more for Buch, but we’ll never know. What I do believe is that the Habs have instantly become a better team by hiring him. Without question.

He knows how to build a team as well as anyone even if not all of his picks or trades pan out. Most moves made since they signed Panarin have bern sensible.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Haha, maybe not the best. But the majority of us were happy with his effort. Also he handled our media like a pro. He seemed to leave the Rangers in pretty good shape. I'm hoping he can do the same for us.

I liked it too that he tried, seems to be important culturally to do so in MTL.

Some maintain a position, that he didn't do that much for us. Fox and Panarin wanted to be here, easy. Laf and Kakko were gifted by the lottery and fixed draft rankings. The Zibanejad trade is the only thing he did really well on. Ryan Srome trade was a Chiarelli. And so on.

You're absolutely right, he did leave us in really good shape and Drury hasn't messed it up since either.

That's what you can bank on, Gorton is not gonna make you worse. Imo, draft Savoie and prosper.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It’s hard to say things aren’t improved this year given their record. It’s also hard to say Gorton wouldn’t have done mostly the same moves as Drury.

Heck, it’s possible that Gorton could’ve gotten more for Buch, but we’ll never know. What I do believe is that the Habs have instantly become a better team by hiring him. Without question.

He knows how to build a team as well as anyone even if not all of his picks or trades pan out. Most moves made since they signed Panarin have bern sensible.

Those two words don't belong in the same sentence.

Reactions: McRanger

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

More importantly for you I think Gorton learned a lot of valuable lessons with the Rangers. He mentioned some of those in his press conference. For example, he said the Habs will put a strong emphasis on proper communication with and direct support for your prospects. He saw first hand how Kakko (and Laf to a lesser extent) landed in a less than ideal situation with the HC/org, and the poor handling of Kotkaniemi in MTL didn't go unnoticed by anyone awake.

Gorton, especially if he finds the right people to surround himself with, should do a stellar job for the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad