May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
upload_2021-11-28_13-58-26.jpeg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good luck to him, I suppose.

He had some good trades, good signings, good picks, while he was here. He also had some bad trades, bad signings, bad picks. Bad hires. I think he was "fine" as leading man when here, but I don't miss him in any way.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
They just lost a GM who took them to the finals and was a runner up twice for GM of the year.

Bergevin was the worst GM in Habs history. We went to the finals with a team that shouldn't and wouldn't have made the playoffs in a normal season. We benefitted from playing weak Canadian teams and went on a Cinderella run. The year before, we made the playoffs a 10th place team. Missed the playoffs the seasons before that.

Reactions: haveandare

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For the most part Gorton did a very good job here. Basically the team was torn down and what we have now is a very young team with a lot of promise. There’s been some luck involved. Fox wanting to be a Ranger and the two straight lottery wins.

Not to say there weren’t some f***ups. The Andersson pick. The character questions concerning DeAngelo and Kravtsov. Gorton’s last draft he hit it out of the park AFAIC. Not just the easy one with Lafreniere but Schneider, Jones, Garand and Berard were all outstanding picks.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Lol you actually think the Habs were a well constructed organization?
Yes. Claudine Crepin is one of the most underrated people in the sport and I have no doubt that she's not the only asset in that organization.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Patient
Not a big risk taker
Methodical
Ok talent evaluation
Slow and steady wins the race…turtle like
Hands off in regards to coaching
Low key PR
Gorton always traded up in the draft, and although it's hard to "credit" him for Fox and Panarin he could have said no to Carolina's draft pick ask + Panarin's contract ask. The NHL is so boring in terms of moves and shake-ups that Jeff Gorton is probably more flashy than average.

You get a pretty mixed record when you line it up move by move, but that's probably the case for almost all of these guys.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
WTF does Gorton do? how do you re-tool when you have Weber and Price?

Is Weber going to be LTIR forever? Isn't there a massive penalty if he retires?

I'll take Dvorak for pennies on the dollar

Does he go firesale? If it's not nailed down, au revoir?

Toffoli, Dvorak, Lekhonen, Chiarot... maybe Drouin?

They get in the Wright sweepstakes.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hey guys,

What could you tell us in Montreal about Jeff Gorton? What should we expect?!
He is going to get the obvious stuff right but everything else is going to be a coin flip

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Patient
Not a big risk taker
Methodical
Ok talent evaluation
Slow and steady wins the race…turtle like
Hands off in regards to coaching
Low key PR
Def patient... I would've liked to have seen what moves he would've made this offseason. Maybe some of the same.

I guess the jury is out on our youth but I'd say all signs point to mismanagement in many ways and with multiple players.

Reactions: will1066

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Hey guys,

What could you tell us in Montreal about Jeff Gorton? What should we expect?!
Excellent eye for personnel, at least the skill side. Needs work on the team building side. But I imagine he learned a lot during his Rangers years.
I would be happy with the hire from a Montreal standpoint, though I think that up ‘til now he has been ideally a GM under a big picture type President. But I also wouldn’t put it past him to develop those skills.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
@Habs13 ultimately Gorton is not going to give you miracles. He stocked the cupboard here and in the farm pretty well but his big-time deals were hits and misses. There were character issues with more than a couple of his acquisitions.

We're still reaping the wealth off Nash to Boston. We're still suffering the consequences of McDonagh to TB.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
@Habs13 ultimately Gorton is not going to give you miracles. He stocked the cupboard here and in the farm pretty well but his big-time deals were hits and misses. There were character issues with more than a couple of his acquisitions.

We're still reaping the wealth off Nash to Boston. We're still suffering the consequences of McDonagh to TB.

This sums it up well along with 2 potential busts in the top ten in '17 & '18.

Reactions: will1066

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad