Confirmed with Link: Canadiens Extend Jesse Ylonen (1-Year, 2-Way @ $775K)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think if they can't make a deal that makes sense, they'll just keep everyone and see how things play out at camp. If Ylonen, Farrell, Heineman force their hand, they'll perhaps consider doing something more drastic with the unwanted vets after camp.

Very good chance this is what will happen.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I would take Ylonen in my lineup ahead of Armia, Pitlick, Gallagher and Hoffman without thinking twice
I agree for 3 of those names, but Gallagher is still useful. He was solid when he came back from injury last year. I think the long off-season will do him well. I doubt he'll ever score 30 again, but if he can put up 15-20, I'll have no issues with him.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Kinda weird that it took so long to put him under contract for so little cash.
I'm wondering if a better contract was offered (i.e. two years) but the agent/player wants to make sure the contract is an easy one to claim off waivers if he ends up there and a team is interested.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Can't think of any team that would be in the need for an unproven bottom 6 guy at the start of the season. All organizations have plenty of these guys around.
Is he starts the season in Montreal, and magically starts producing, and then the Habs want to send him down mid-season when a few teams are injury plagued; than it could happen. I just don't see any of that happening in the near future.
That 200k base AHL pay is likely going to make GMs think twice. I like him, somewhat, but I would'nt cry if the sweetener to get rid of Armia was Ylonen.

He's not a 4th liner, he could be a good 3rd liner at maturity. Me think him and Farell are nice players but likely not the future of the habs. However they can, as assets, help shape the roster of the future as trade value.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I don't get the 2-way part.
To keep the kid hungry, that he will need to earn a roster spot and keep proving himself. Thats the right message to send and good for both parties. If Ylonen has a good season, he will be in a better position to negociate his next contract and Habs will keep unloading their bad contracts.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I understand that. The thing is that he doesn't clear waivers with this contract IMO.
Maybe that's what took so long to get the deal signed. Disclaimer: this is pure speculation. Hughes did not want to offer more than league minimum but probably wanted a more waiver claim-proof 2 year contract. Ylonen wanted to get to arbitration and did not want a 2 year deal. Hughes finally gave in but insisted on the two way.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Now that everyone who needed a contract is signed, hopefully HuGo can now focus on unloading some dead weight prior to the season.

In order to make room for guys like Ylonen, RHP, Heineman, and Farrell among others to battle for spots. Even if some end up in Laval, at least they will have a chance to make the team and not be forced down due to dead weight.

I'm pretty sure they are still trying to unblock the roster a bit but it might not be possible without sending a future. See below for the 14 teams who have more than $1M in cap space at the moment. Most teams are set and the teams who do have cap space are being called day after day probably. Habs are not escaping the Hoffman contract without paying a future like the Baily trade. Might cost more than the Baily trade at this stage because there is less cap space now than when the Baily traded happened.

If Ylonen, RHP, Heineman, Farrell, show up to camp and perform very well in preseason, just waive Hoffman and Armia. We owe them nothing and it would be on them for not performing to their contract.

r6AmaTF.jpg

I understand that. The thing is that he doesn't clear waivers with this contract IMO.

I don't think the contract will matter that much in terms of if he clears waivers or not. His future NHL potential matters more. Is he is top 6F, middle 6F, or bottom 6F.

Reactions: rickthegoon

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree for 3 of those names, but Gallagher is still useful. He was solid when he came back from injury last year. I think the long off-season will do him well. I doubt he'll ever score 30 again, but if he can put up 15-20, I'll have no issues with him.
Gallagher has been a valiant warrior and leader for this team for ten years. A player who always had limited stamina, time and injuries have now significantly eroded Gallagher's ability to contribute. We are saddled with this diminishing player at an annual cap hit of $6.5 million through the 2026/2027 season. While you may have no issues with him, I suspect management and many (most?) fans do. The signing of Gallagher to a six year, bloated contract approaches an Alzner level of incompetence. There is a reason why we are who we are.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
55d84414-628f-4c60-84a2-c824f5604d25_text.gif

:thumbu::thumbu:

Gallagher has been a valiant warrior and leader for this team for ten years. A player who always had limited stamina, time and injuries have now significantly eroded Gallagher's ability to contribute. We are saddled with this diminishing player at an annual cap hit of $6.5 million through the 2026/2027 season. While you may have no issues with him, I suspect management and many (most?) fans do. The signing of Gallagher to a six year, bloated contract approaches an Alzner level of incompetence. There is a reason why we are who we are.
If Gallagher were a horse,they'd of put him down long ago.

Reactions: BLONG7

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The contract sucks. That doesn't take away from what Gallagher can do on the ice, though. He can still be effective in a middle six role, I think. He'll likely be traded or moved to Robidas Island in a few years when the team is ready to try to compete and needs the cap space, but for now he's a good vet to have around.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The contract sucks. That doesn't take away from what Gallagher can do on the ice, though. He can still be effective in a middle six role, I think. He'll likely be traded or moved to Robidas Island in a few years when the team is ready to try to compete and needs the cap space, but for now he's a good vet to have around.
Such a great competitor, but as most of us knew, he would age badly, and he has................there is no one in their right mind would have given him that contract................Bergevin has been a dunce on so many levels. Contracts he gave out, were mostly insane.......

Gally will be on Robidas/LTIR Island fairly soon.....

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Such a great competitor, but as most of us knew, he would age badly, and he has................there is no one in their right mind would have given him that contract................Bergevin has been a dunce on so many levels. Contracts he gave out, were mostly insane.......

Gally will be on Robidas/LTIR Island fairly soon.....

Funnily enough.. before Gallagher got his extension, I mentioned on Twitter that we should trade Gallagher now because he won't age well like many players of his style before him (Ladd, Okposo, etc.)

He wasn't even tagged in the post, yet he blocked me on Twitter.. so he's definitely a guy who searches his own name on Twitter and can't handle mild criticism.

• Haha
Reactions: BLONG7 and 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad