Confirmed with Link: Canadiens Extend Jesse Ylonen (1-Year, 2-Way @ $775K)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Funnily enough.. before Gallagher got his extension, I mentioned on Twitter that we should trade Gallagher now because he won't age well like many players of his style before him (Ladd, Okposo, etc.)

He wasn't even tagged in the post, yet he blocked me on Twitter.. so he's definitely a guy who searches his own name on Twitter and can't handle mild criticism.

Very interesting.

In fairness, there's so much negativity on the internet, I don't blame athletes, or any famous people, who block out anything negative. Gallagher was a big part of the team and didnt want to uproot his life. Can't blame him for blocking out such discussions. Can't blame Anderson for not wanting to hear about trade rumors or people talking about wanting to move on from him.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Such a great competitor, but as most of us knew, he would age badly, and he has................there is no one in their right mind would have given him that contract................Bergevin has been a dunce on so many levels. Contracts he gave out, were mostly insane.......

Gally will be on Robidas/LTIR Island fairly soon.....
LTIR is probably the furthest thing in Gallagher's mind. I'm worried he'll play 40 or 50 games every year from here to eternity.

Reactions: cphabs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Funnily enough.. before Gallagher got his extension, I mentioned on Twitter that we should trade Gallagher now because he won't age well like many players of his style before him (Ladd, Okposo, etc.)

He wasn't even tagged in the post, yet he blocked me on Twitter.. so he's definitely a guy who searches his own name on Twitter and can't handle mild criticism.
You were preaching to a fairly complete choir at the time. I even remember posting a year or two after our ECF that we would know we had a good team when Gallagher was on the third line where he belonged. :laugh: That didn't go over so well.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
LTIR is probably the furthest thing in Gallagher's mind. I'm worried he'll play 40 or 50 games every year from here to eternity.

Gallagher has a lot of pride. If at some point he realizes his physical abilities are compromised and he's not helping the team, he may use the pain he has to play with as an excuse to go on LTIR for the good of the team. I say excuse, because we know he has no problem playing with pain.

So the 4 years left of his cap hit could turn into say only 2, if he realizes after trying the next two seasons that it's just not there anymore.

Reactions: BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Very interesting.

In fairness, there's so much negativity on the internet, I don't blame athletes, or any famous people, who block out anything negative. Gallagher was a big part of the team and didnt want to uproot his life. Can't blame him for blocking out such discussions. Can't blame Anderson for not wanting to hear about trade rumors or people talking about wanting to move on from him.

It's one thing if I was tagging him, but if you're searching your name, you are inviting some negativity in that you shouldn't.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Bergevin definitely signed Gally to the perfect contract and then extended him early for no reason. It's almost Gomez level.

Anyways, Ylonen should make the team over guys like Hoffman and Armia who are collecting cheques at this point. RHP could find himself in Laval to start simply because he's waiver exempt. I hope Hughes has a plan to unload a few of these guys to open space for the young guys to play.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bergevin definitely signed Gally to the perfect contract and then extended him early for no reason. It's almost Gomez level.

Anyways, Ylonen should make the team over guys like Hoffman and Armia who are collecting cheques at this point. RHP could find himself in Laval to start simply because he's waiver exempt. I hope Hughes has a plan to unload a few of these guys to open space for the young guys to play.
Unloading two of the vets, would be fantastic, but highly unlikely....
Hughes will have to buy out guys, or sweeten the post to get rid of our vets.....Thx MB.

I do think Ylonen should be on the team come October, but..................

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's one thing if I was tagging him, but if you're searching your name, you are inviting some negativity in that you shouldn't.
I'm not an expert on twitter. Someone might have reposted on his account, he may have people or an A.I. program that seeks out these kinds of posts, etc... Or, he could just be bored in the summer and likes to read a lot of sports news and came across your post...

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Dadonov and Drouin are gone.

Newhook will get a look on the PP but Ylonen is next in line with HP.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
A bit surprised by just seeing a 1 year deal and for so cheap too. I thought Ylonen took some big steps last year and I think there's room for growth in his game to become a regular middle-sixer, but we'll have to wait and see.

So we have 16 forwards and just two (Slaf and RHP) are waivers exempt. It's possible both of them play better than a couple of the other players at camp. Something's gotta give trade-wise.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
A bit surprised by just seeing a 1 year deal and for so cheap too. I thought Ylonen took some big steps last year and I think there's room for growth in his game to become a regular middle-sixer, but we'll have to wait and see.

So we have 16 forwards and just two (Slaf and RHP) are waivers exempt. It's possible both of them play better than a couple of the other players at camp. Something's gotta give trade-wise.
It's under his ELC salary even. It might have been his agent (or Hughes) who wanted an easy to pick-up on waivers contract so Ylonen can get an opportunity on another team instead of being clogged on the Habs behind Armia/Hoffman/Gallagher/etc with half a dozen other prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad