HF Habs: Canadiens Development Camp (July 1 to 4)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I do not understand the non-selection of Dell'Elce.....they invited him. clearly, they then thought he was worth it. And yet, not only they go with the Russians...but they selected Middlestadt instead of him while I swear you thought Luke was the invitee and Dell'Elce was a 4th round pick..And I like Middlestadt...but Dell'Elce was worth a pick.

20+ minutes as a 20-year old in the KHL putting up 25 pts > guy in Canadian HS going to BCHL.

NCAA + WJC > guy in Canadian HS going to BCHL.

They probably had Dell'elce on their draft list, but below everyone they picked. So they invited him and he accepted. Nice that he did well. But development camp is not the place that determines who is better than who.

Both Bogdan and Mittelstadt played against better competition last year and will again this year than Dell'Elce.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
20+ minutes as a 20-year old in the KHL putting up 25 pts > guy in Canadian HS going to BCHL.

NCAA + WJC > guy in Canadian HS going to BCHL.

They probably had Dell'elce on their draft list, but below everyone they picked. So they invited him and he accepted. Nice that he did well. But development camp is not the place that determines who is better than who.

Both Bogdan and Mittelstadt played against better competition last year and will again this year than Dell'Elce.
Apples and oranges. Dell'Elce is one of the youngest player in the draft. Would hvae been neat for a change to draft a kid that is amongst the youngest instead of lates and overagers. And he have have fit nicely with the fact that we can offer contracts left and right.

You don't want to pass on the Russian d-man that we will see at 24 years old...fine. But we could have done without the russian goalie (though he is the only young one in that draft). Or the overager Sam Harris.....late D+1....stats isn't on his side....

While a development camp isn't the whole story, people still draw conclusions from it. Not sure why his performances wouldn't be worth noticing. I stil believe he was worth a pick instead of having him be picked next year, a pick we will have to use anyway...if we are lucky enough to pick him if he still progresses.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Apples and oranges. Dell'Elce is one of the youngest player in the draft. Would hvae been neat for a change to draft a kid that is amongst the youngest instead of lates and overagers. And he have have fit nicely with the fact that we can offer contracts left and right.

You don't want to pass on the Russian d-man that we will see at 24 years old...fine. But we could have done without the russian goalie (though he is the only young one in that draft). Or the overager Sam Harris.....late D+1....stats isn't on his side....

Canadian high school. You don't value that over KHL, NCAA or CHL or other Euro leagues.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018

While a development camp isn't the whole story, people still draw conclusions from it. Not sure why his performances wouldn't be worth noticing. I stil believe he was worth a pick instead of having him be picked next year, a pick we will have to use anyway...if we are lucky enough to pick him if he still progresses.
Also if the Habs like Dell'Elce enough, they cant sign him right now as he is still draft eligble, but if they invite him to training camp they can. (see Xhekaj).

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Guhle, Xhekaj, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Barron, Mailloux, Hutson, Harris, Trudeau
That's an impressive young group of D we have.....

That will eventually be a problem, but although Engstrom impress me also, he has a lot of competition.
Pretty sure, we will trade one or two of this group of D for a forward or a goalie. They can't all make the NHL. By bet are on Harris and Barron for a trade.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pretty sure, we will trade one or two of this group of D for a forward or a goalie. They can't all make the NHL. By bet are on Harris and Barron for a trade.
Barron probably holds more value than Harris and the latter can play both sides.

Dangle Barron once Reinbacher joins the team?

Reactions: jaffy27 and rahad

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Barron probably holds more value than Harris and the latter can play both sides.

Dangle Barron once Reinbacher joins the team?
You need to trade good player to get good player. Barron could got us a top 6 player in 2-3 years.

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux

Xhekaj - Engstrom
Kovacevic

This is pretty much my top 4 in a couple of years. The rest are going to battle for the last 2 place available. let's not forget Matheson (only 29 years old).

Reactions: Gustave

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You need to trade good player to get good player. Barron could got us a top 6 player in 2-3 years.
And it will likely be 2-3 years before any young d are moved unless HuGo decides they aren't progressing enough or they don't have enough roster spots for everyone.

Reactions: rahad

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Very suspect defensively.

Guhle never on the 3rd pairing.

I'd put Guhle with Mailloux.

Hutson on the 3rd to protect him at even-strength. Put him with Xhekaj.

Trade Barron.

Engstrom-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Xhekaj
Harris
I really like those pairings, there is nothing wrong to have Hutson on a third pairing if he is a bit more risky defensively, he would get easier matchups and top PP minutes. Top 4 is big, mobile and well balanced. I like it. There is still a good possibility Hutson develops his defending abilities and end up on that top 4 though, I wouldnt gamble against him since his hockey IQ is pretty high.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux

Xhekaj - Engstrom
Kovacevic

This is pretty much my top 4 in a couple of years. The rest are going to battle for the last 2 place available. let's not forget Matheson (only 29 years old).
Hutson would not be facing the oppositions top lines in my line up like ever. He'd likely end up paired with Engstrom.

Guhle - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Hutson
Xhekaj - Mailloux

The balance of this D corps is awesome every pairing has PMD on it.
The best defenders are paired the physical boys are paired and the exploitation lads are paired.

Reactions: Jaynki

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Xhekaj played RD sometimes in his Memorial cup run and when he played on that side in a couple of NHL games it didn’t seem to affect his game that much (compared to Harris).

Probably because forwards are not too keen on rushing him + his game is simpler. With our depth on LD it will be increasingly hard to keep him in the lineup while he can definitely hang in there as the 3rd pairing RD (upgrade over Kovacevic).

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Hutson would not be facing the oppositions top lines in my line up like ever. He'd likely end up paired with Engstrom.

Guhle - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Hutson
Xhekaj - Mailloux

The balance of this D corps is awesome every pairing has PMD on it.
The best defenders are paired the physical boys are paired and the exploitation lads are paired.
If these six players develop to their ceilings we won't be able to afford all of them.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I really like those pairings, there is nothing wrong to have Hutson on a third pairing if he is a bit more risky defensively, he would get easier matchups and top PP minutes. Top 4 is big, mobile and well balanced. I like it. There is still a good possibility Hutson develops his defending abilities and end up on that top 4 though, I wouldnt gamble against him since his hockey IQ is pretty high.
Hutson is better defensively than Mailloux.

He’s great 5vs5 and you need his brain and his transition game with the best players on the team.

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
We don't want Hutson playing 3rd pair.

We want him on the ice and we want him to have the puck.

Dzone start and other team top line will be Guhle - Reinbacher job.

Hutson will have ozone start and will play against weaker opposition but we assurely will want him out there a lot on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad