Confirmed with Link: Canadiens Came Close To Signing John Klingberg, Flipping Him At Deadline

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
will be interesting to watch, Alberta’s best positioned amongst CDN teams to allow for maximum take home $, which can only be outdone by a no state tax US locale. Obviously assumes any team vying will make same high end offer

Had McDavid had US permanent residency / citizenship like Huberdeau playing in Canada would be a slam dunk due to no IRS taxation on bonus heavy structured contracts, which favors Leafs (CDN teams) vying for Matthews services purely from a $ standpoint

Connor would make 10x he does in Edmonton off the ice if he was in a major market like LA or NYC, which his agent will obviously be reminding him. He is the best player in the NHL and he has no marketability right now he needs to get out of the Oil to see those huge residual financial gains. I think he will.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I read about this a few months ago. Wasn't it on tsn?

I'm not sure I remember anything about a sign and trade but I certainly remember it saying that it was pretty much between Montreal and Anaheim.

Also, if edmonton wanted him, why couldn't they just go get him directly and do a trade with montreal at that point to make the cap work?

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Interested to see what kind of deal he'll get this off-season, his agent really ****ed him last year and he's definitely lost a ton of money because of it.

If we end up trading a veteran prior to the offseason, he could be a good fit depending on the price and term. We could use a RHD and we need a PPQB, which Klingberg would help with as he's in the top 10 for PPP from defencemen over the last few years.

Reactions: MadMslm

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
That would mean no free Monahan+1st pick.

Dodged a bullet there.

Lesson to be learned, cap room is gold. Stop paying bottom 6ers 3-4-5M $$$$ and weaponize your cap space.

Reactions: jrom and dralaf

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
And they still don't have a goalie. I don't think they are 1 Klingberg from the Cup.

Still, it should be enticing to any player who wants to compete, unless, like I said, il est frileux, more than whatever else. It's not a fault, it's just not the mentality of a player I would want to come here.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The article said that ifro came from Friedman.

My only question is what prevented Edmonton from signing him directly, and then work on a side deal with montreal.
I’d imagine that it would be a swap for Barrie, who I think the Oilers tried to unload unsuccessfully this summer. But that seems like a lateral move. Holland is dumb though.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The article said that ifro came from Friedman.

My only question is what prevented Edmonton from signing him directly, and then work on a side deal with montreal.
Dumping Barrie wouldn't have made enough space for Klinberg this season once they signed Kane. Oilers are way over cap this year and using near $10m in LTIR.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Many players have passed on Edmonton before, even with McDrai there.

Not sure why that's a negative?I

I think it mostly has to do with the location and some guys just don't want to be in an Edmonton or Winnipeg winter. Or more their families might not want it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think it mostly has to do with the location and some guys just don't want to be in an Edmonton or Winnipeg winter. Or more their families might not want it.

I'd say Winnipeg is even a notch below Edmonton in terms of desirability.

What we see right now is peak attractiveness for players to come to Edmonton, and it's all attributable to mcdavid.... But yeah, it's peak attractiveness still leaves room for more than a few players to outright reject the idea of going there.

Markstrom could have joined them a couple years ago but chose calgary instead.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Still, it should be enticing to any player who wants to compete, unless, like I said, il est frileux, more than whatever else. It's not a fault, it's just not the mentality of a player I would want to come here.

Yeah, still not getting how this makes sense in your head.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't get why you would want guys whose main concern is getting a bigger paycheck, but you do you.

Where did I ever say that? Do you know what "frilleux" means?

My points had ZERO to do with money.

It had to do with him chosing a bottom feeder (Anaheim) over a McDrai conference finalist for a single year. So either he hates the cold or going to the playoffs isn't a priority. But somehow, what you concluded is I prefer a player looking for a payout.

Maybe instead of using idioms like "you do you" or questioning how things work in my head, here's a f***in novel idea, if you're not sure about something someone is saying, ask a question instead of completely missing the point and creating a strawman.

Edit: DAC liked my initial post, so I guess he got it too.

Reactions: the

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
would of been good free assets too bad he picked the sun over the snow

The thing is, just like the Monahan acquisition, although it's free assets that gets us free late round picks, it also makes us a better team short term, which hurts our draft position

Chicago weren't so stupid selling off vets and even young players BEFORE the season, and hence guaranteeing themselves one of Bedard, Fantelli, Carlesson, or Mishkov.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Where did I ever say that? Do you know what "frilleux" means?

My points had ZERO to do with money.

It had to do with him chosing a bottom feeder (Anaheim) over a McDrai conference finalist for a single year. So either he hates the cold or going to the playoffs isn't a priority. But somehow, what you concluded is I prefer a player looking for a payout.

Maybe instead of using idioms like "you do you" or questioning how things work in my head, here's a f***in novel idea, if you're not sure about something someone is saying, ask a question instead of completely missing the point and creating a strawman.

Edit: DAC liked my initial post, so I guess he got it too.

I wouldn't consider Edmonton a contender, despite their WCF last year. They are a team full of holes that they do not have the cap to fix.

If the goal is to win a Cup, there's quite a few teams I would go to before going to Edmonton.

I would however go to Edmonton if my goal was to pump my stats for a big payday.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Would have resulted in the same maybe. Why? Cause if we add Klingberg, we likely are not able to take on Monahan and get a 1st.

Monahan/1st with a possibility we can get another 1st (two 2nd rounders worse case IMO)
vs
Klingberg and what he returns at the deadline?

You beat me to this. Exactly how I see it.
If he was flipped to another team, Edmonton as rumours suggest, the Habs would still be able to land Monahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad