Confirmed with Link: Canadiens Came Close To Signing John Klingberg, Flipping Him At Deadline

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
The Montreal Canadiens tried to sign John Klingberg this summer and attempt a deal with the Edmonton Oilers for an eventual Sign & Trade.

First brought up by Montreal Hockey Now in August

Given more detail in a report by Guillaume Lefrancois

Reactions: dralaf and Redux91

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
The Montreal Canadiens tried to sign John Klingberg this summer and attempt a deal with the Edmonton Oilers for an eventual Sign & Trade.

First brought up by Montreal Hockey Now in August

Given more detail in a report by Guillaume Lefrancois
“I had a lot of interest in Montreal,” said Klingberg to Lefrancois. “And I’d still have interest if the opportunity arises once again.”

(ufa again next summer?)

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I mean... it's Edmonton, still how could anyone pass on the chance to bolster McDrai into the playoffs?

This tells me we should stay away from him.
True. Why would he sign a 1 year show me deal with a team that was guaranteed to be one of the worst in the league? Not much chance of improving his marketability there.
He could get traded at the deadline and do well on a contender. He could also do so badly with the Ducks that no one will want him.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Hey, if he wants to sign another 1-year deal next summer, I'd be glad to sign him and trade him at TDL for a first. :naughty:
He might be open to another 1year deal with us this summer, then trade at DL and hope to cash in long term after cap goes up again.
Pretty much only way that makes sense for us, not sure I’d want to tie long term money to that guy at that stage in his career.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I mean... it's Edmonton, still how could anyone pass on the chance to bolster McDrai into the playoffs?

If you are going to sign one year deal. DO it with Edmonton.... With player like McDavid on the team. Your numbers of points should increase by a lot.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
would of been good free assets too bad he picked the sun over the snow

Would have resulted in the same maybe. Why? Cause if we add Klingberg, we likely are not able to take on Monahan and get a 1st.

Monahan/1st with a possibility we can get another 1st (two 2nd rounders worse case IMO)
vs
Klingberg and what he returns at the deadline?

We likely couldn’t have made the Monahan trade if he signed with us, we are lucky he didn’t

You beat me to this. Exactly how I see it.

Reactions: malcb33

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Many players have passed on Edmonton before, even with McDrai there.

Not sure why that's a negative?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Edmonton is such a dump, no way McJesus stays there after this contract is up. They give you an F150 and an ACDC Hoodie instead of child support in Alberta.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal

We are not talking about staying for a long time . One year contract with Edmonton before signing the big contract in the USA. Playing on the same teams as MCDrai should increase your total of points.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So we would have signed him to a one year contract then flipped him to Edmonton while retaining half. I wonder what the deal with Edmonton was. Figures it had to have included a 1st.

Klingberg would have done a lot better offensively in Edmonton than Anaheim. He just didn't want to live in Edmonton.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

The only thing I could think of is the cold. Like if I was an NHL borderline star player Edmonton and Calagary would be targets.

If you are good like an RNH or Klingberg but not world beater I feel like those cities would be a nice balance of a lot of people know who you are but not everyone will like TO or MTL. Where you are kind of a celebrity but it wouldn't be too crazy.

Plus taxes are pretty favorable & cost of living is lower

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We are not talking about staying for a long time . One year contract with Edmonton before signing the big contract in the USA. Playing on the same teams as MCDrai should increase your total of points.

Pass it for long term, sure, but for one year?

That tells me Klingsberg is 'un frileux' in every sense of the word.

Makes no sense to me.

Him not going to Edmonton just to boost his stats look like a positive to me.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Edmonton is such a dump, no way McJesus stays there after this contract is up. They give you an F150 and an ACDC Hoodie instead of child support in Alberta.
will be interesting to watch, Alberta’s best positioned amongst CDN teams to allow for maximum take home $, which can only be outdone by a no state tax US locale. Obviously assumes any team vying will make same high end offer

Had McDavid had US permanent residency / citizenship like Huberdeau playing in Canada would be a slam dunk due to no IRS taxation on bonus heavy structured contracts, which favors Leafs (CDN teams) vying for Matthews services purely from a $ standpoint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad