GDT: Canadiens and Caps 7:00 PM

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Haven't had a lead in 205 minutes of play. Legit might be a bottom five team.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
watched coyotes vs ducks before this game and man, coyotes despite only winning 2-1 have looked like 20 times better than caps and canadiens combined. quick puck movement, generating 5 on 5 chances like its nothing, dangerous pp. we are far behind not only a good teams but even mediocre/weak ones atm

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Andersson 4 games - well deserved for that POS play.

Listen to this idiot - why was Andersson so riled up? "He was trying to prevent the empty net". lol yeah that was the reason.

I do like Bieksa on this panel. The guy I'm referring to above - can never remember his name but he used to be a goalie?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Still seeing forward progress in the smaller things. Coherence is up a little, fewer miscues and reversion to old reads, but you still see too many instances of two Caps skating to the same area of the ice and crossing each other up.

Maybe some of that is just that we've got some brickheads but some seems like it will smooth itself out after 20 games or so, and we'll finally be seeing where the weakest links are instead of trying to identify the mistake or which players are just struggling at the start (like, Jensen is a mystery box right now)

Isn't perfect but the idea that comes to mind is watching a new offense in the NFL. There are a lot of miscues, but initially it can be hard to tell if it's the QB throwing the wrong ball, the WR running the wrong route, or just an initial lack of reps and chemistry between them in routes with built-in options.

I mean, they're not looking like the playoffs right now or anything so there's a limit to the optimism but the function of the team seems to keep improving in different isolated areas every time, and they're usually the areas of immediate discussion by the coaching which I think is promising.

Reactions: YippieKaey

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Mantha is so lazy. Didn't even try to elevate that.
that can be pretty challenging if your hands get too far away from the body. Hell sometimes the pass just doesn't sit flush and the puck feels like three times heavier than it should even when your hands are okay, some just die on the stick and you can't really get the force into the blade that you need to lift it

Didn't see the replay but that one looked like it got out ahead of Mantha a little and he had to hook it to get it on net and couldn't get his left hand low

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Expecting us to be anything but was pretty optimistic imo. We were a bottom five team after the deadline last year and the young guys we've added this year aren't studs. They're decent pieces but they're going to have to learn how to be effective at this level and that usually doesn't happen right away unless you're a top tier player. That paired with the fact everyone in the core is a year older/slower and you're in the toughest division in the league... You've pretty solidly got a bottom 5 team. I'll be shocked if we're not easily in the lottery hunt this year.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
that can be pretty challenging if your hands get too far away from the body. Hell sometimes the pass just doesn't sit flush and the puck feels like three times heavier than it should even when your hands are okay, some just die on the stick and you can't really get the force into the blade that you need to lift it

Didn't see the replay but that one looked like it got out ahead of Mantha a little and he had to hook it to get it on net and couldn't get his left hand low
fair point from a practical standpoint. but the funny thing is that's always mantha, every *** time

Reactions: HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
fair point from a practical standpoint. but the funny thing is that's always mantha, every *** time
If we're being fair that's basically what happened to CMM on his two on one with Oshie, although the pass was better it's the reason he couldn't get it more than about a foot or two off the ice

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I just see a plodding team with a leaky PK. That in itself is enough to sink them. Some areas will come around but I don't see them methodically dialing it in. I'm not even sure at this point what they would look like at full throttle. What does a realistically full throttle Kuznetsov look like? I have no clue. The blueline is also low-key uneventful offensively outside of Carlson.

For me the Atlantic is tougher top to bottom than the Metro. This is really about them, their form, their pace and commitment.

Sure do love watching Mantha skate around, though!

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Handing out high danger chances to Habs like candy.

Meanwhile Al Koken reduced to hyping scoring chances vs the league’s worst team

Reactions: Holtbyisms

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I just see a plodding team with a leaky PK. That in itself is enough to sink them. Some areas will come around but I don't see them methodically dialing it in. I'm not even sure at this point what they would look like at full throttle. What does a realistically full throttle Kuznetsov look like? I have no clue. The blueline is also low-key uneventful offensively outside of Carlson.

For me the Atlantic is tougher top to bottom than the Metro. This is really about them, their form, their pace and commitment.

Sure do love watching Mantha skate around, though!
Sounds like we're not having the same conversation, then, or at least not with the same parameters.

You're not going to see methodically dialed in after 4 games. You just... won't, not unless the "what they're trying to do" conversation is outrageously simple, and Carbery isn't taking an interim job with a playoff team so I'm not sure what the incentive would be to do that.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

He should have been skating faster, then :D

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You're not going to see methodically dialed in after 4 games. You just... won't, not unless the "what they're trying to do" conversation is outrageously simple, and Carbery isn't taking an interim job with a playoff team so I'm not sure what the incentive would be to do that.
It's less 'are they dialed in already?' as 'are they methodically learning as they go?' At this stage in being such an old team I think the answer is more likely they simply are what they are each and every night more or less. They're mostly past the stage of learning much of anything. There are additional variables like getting used to linemates--switching them every game may not help with that--but I'm not expecting them to radically clean up their game any time soon. What will be more widely varying is probably the level of competition they face and just what it manages against them.

It's going to be a challenge for them to punch through on teams. Gaining some confidence, earning that confidence, can help them put some things behind them and find more rhythm. But...I just think they're not that strong. Even if they manage to break through on teams I don't know what sort of defensive resistance they're capable of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad