GDT: Canadiens and Caps 7:00 PM

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
1697939509274.gif

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Well, that was much better than the first three games. Next we have a team in Toronto that put up 53 shots on the Lightning tonight....SIGH

• Wow
Reactions: PlushMinus

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Welp. Wasn't good but was somehow better and worse than expected at times. They pushed play a lot, some of the question marks looked a lot better, they were owning the period until they were scored on and it kind of continued in that puck luck way.

Some guys are still missing some bounces that will be there later, but they kept chugging and got into OT which was a welcome surprise. Frankly, that third period was an officiating nightmare and it's amazing they did what they did.

Ovechkin looked a lot better but he's still not actually tapping into what he's got. Guy isn't incapable of skating harder at times, and I think they probably need to see it more if they want to give Carbery the room. I think what surprises me the most is that this is a guy who hates to lose but right now you don't really see it, and that bugs me because I thought it was burned into him.

Better/possibly even good games from Kuznetsov and Mantha (at times) but also a number of things to fix. Some are just unfixable, like finding places for all of 8, 19, and 77 in a working lineup based on pace, but others like breaking Sandin and Carlson up should happen sooner rather than later. I do think a team without youth and legs to spare is going to get much better when they all reach the same page and the requirements of the coaches/system are actually reflex, but it probably won't buy them 15 points or whatever to be a real playoff team.

HHA looked good with a few warts, he's exceptionally mobile for someone his size and kept up with Caufield much better than I think Caufield expected outside of one or two nifty tricks. Should be an every day player and at least a win if not a steal.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Game review!

Disclaimer: I watched this game under the influence of insomnia, a sleeping pill and a bottle of my girlfriends champagne.

The good:

Dylan Strome obviously

Kuemper is a solid goalie

We outshoot the team, and should have had at least one goal more, now up to 7 goalframe hits in 4 games.

Ovi was playmaking and looked engaged, also got shots on goal

Beck Malenstyn is an NHL player. And apparently he's got some good wheels?

Sandin created offensively

The bad:

The d-zone is just horrible. Noone knows what to do and so many times they got bogged down by a two man forecheck. Probably still learning the system, but still

Sandins defensive reads were insane, get him away from Carlson

We need Edmundson, weirdly. A solid net front presence could have prevented both goals against this game.

Overtime ended in like 5 seconds.

The refs called some really really soft penalties

Overall:

At least now we are in the game, coulda shoulda had more goals this game. But in general, it seems the tank is on. I wish management would have been smart enough to not change the winning teams we have had for the last three seasons, a.k.a when a lot of the kids were in the lineup.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Game review!

Disclaimer: I watched this game under the influence of insomnia, a sleeping pill and a bottle of my girlfriends champagne.

The good:

Dylan Strome obviously

Kuemper is a solid goalie

We outshoot the team, and should have had at least one goal more, now up to 7 goalframe hits in 4 games.

Ovi was playmaking and looked engaged, also got shots on goal

Beck Malenstyn is an NHL player. And apparently he's got some good wheels?

Sandin created offensively

The bad:

The d-zone is just horrible. Noone knows what to do and so many times they got bogged down by a two man forecheck. Probably still learning the system, but still

Sandins defensive reads were insane, get him away from Carlson

We need Edmundson, weirdly. A solid net front presence could have prevented both goals against this game.

Overtime ended in like 5 seconds.

The refs called some really really soft penalties

Overall:

At least now we are in the game, coulda shoulda had more goals this game. But in general, it seems the tank is on. I wish management would have been smart enough to not change the winning teams we have had for the last three seasons, a.k.a when a lot of the kids were in the lineup.
To "management's" credit as it pertains to people still in the organization, the reason isn't choice right now it's health.

The kids were in the lineup because Backstrom, Wilson, and Oshie weren't available, but management also can't just magic those guys away (I mean, they could have sold Wilson or lost him for nothing I guess but beyond that) they just have to wait for them to be... not there anymore. If we're 20 games deep and Oshie is still playing I'll be fairly surprised, I think they know it's a juggling act but want to do right by all parties, let everybody get paid and stay where they call home and wait for the cards to fall.

Let's be real, this year is a wash between injured players returning and contracts, with a new coach to boot. It's a good time to do it but it's not going to be any easier as a result if you watch each game at the edge of your seat, it's about identifying and shaping the future while running out the clock on dead growth like Mantha.

Reactions: YippieKaey

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
To "management's" credit as it pertains to people still in the organization, the reason isn't choice right now it's health.

The kids were in the lineup because Backstrom, Wilson, and Oshie weren't available, but management also can't just magic those guys away (I mean, they could have sold Wilson or lost him for nothing I guess but beyond that) they just have to wait for them to be... not there anymore. If we're 20 games deep and Oshie is still playing I'll be fairly surprised, I think they know it's a juggling act but want to do right by all parties, let everybody get paid and stay where they call home and wait for the cards to fall.

Let's be real, this year is a wash between injured players returning and contracts, with a new coach to boot. It's a good time to do it but it's not going to be any easier as a result if you watch each game at the edge of your seat, it's about identifying and shaping the future while running out the clock on dead growth like Mantha.

Yeah i suppose. Agreed.

Reactions: HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Was thinking more about Carbery's D philosophy and I don't even necessarily think it's wrong, it's just very wrong for these two.

Orlov-Niskanen was basically a muted version of that pairing and philosophy, Niskanen was a rough nosed PMD and Orlov a more talented version of the same, the problem is that they both can't be total weenies without being a Karlsson-level play driver. They don't lean enough into their physicality between them and their offensive instincts almost clash with each other.

Carlson is... well not close to Karlsson as you'd want but about as close as you come among what can be had unless you get a Makar or Hughes by accident in a draft, but they can't enable him or encourage him to be free without Sandin sweeping up, and Sandin's not a "sweep up" kind of defender. Even in his "sweep up" moments he still rolls the dice instead of playing safer like the Orlov we had by the end.

These guys need separated but weirdly might get better for it if they have the guys to make up the gaps

Reactions: YippieKaey

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That was brutal to watch.

Perhaps Celebrini isn't out of reach after all. I hope GMBM is having nightmares of that traded 2024 2nd round pick and stops throwing our own picks around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad