GDT: Canadiens and Caps 7:00 PM

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Backstrom does nothing and instead put Strome in his place. Strome is a shoot first center!

Oshie is doing nothing either. Wilson should be in his place!
Hey what is your opinion on Kuemper tonight? Do you think he was okay and got no support? He seemed to be on his game.

Jake Allen had a blinder - let's be honest as much as I hate to say it. I thought the Caps had some high quality chances but Allen stopped the ones he needed to?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They showed a pulse but that should be a given against a likely bottom five team in Montreal. Mostly I come away wondering who has extra to give? Who's got the juice? What sort of consistent chemistry is to be expected up front? What kind of tight defensive play are they capable of?

It's early...yet it's hard to assume they've got a great deal more gas in the tank than they've showed. I just come to expect a lot of loose, easy, often sloppy play. Their motto is supposedly Something to Prove yet little about their start suggests an evident chip on their shoulder and an eager/able ability to set a different tone. This group of players has done an awful lot of losing in 2023. They have the third-worst points percentage behind only SJS/ANA. You wonder if it hasn't eroded their self-belief as they continue to search for answers/traction. 5v5 offense was a bit better in this game but their defense looks to be an issue even if they do finally break up Carlson and Sandin. MTL also still had a slight edge in xG 5v5. And, I mean, they had the rookie Malenstyn as the PKing forward on the 5-on-3 with Dowd out to give you some idea as to defensive leadership up front. On the back-end with the way Jensen has started it's not much better.

With a TOR/NJD back-to-back coming up there may be a lot of soul-searching ahead. They've got to dig deep and I'm not sure these dogs can still hunt like that. Mostly I'm skeptical they can tighten up defensively even if their offensive touches come around and they start bagging more goals.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
The effort was definitely there last night. Ovi kind of set the tone, that was good to see. Offensively they looked okay. Some good passing, good movement. They certainly had enough opportunities to score more. They need to fix the defense though, its an absolute mess.

Reactions: Calicaps

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
GM 4:
best game yet
most nearly complete effort
most offensive chances
defensively improving
PK best performance by far
most of the Vets more engaged

2 cons I'll note:
0 GF for 50 min
D floundering way too much

Could've turned into a solid 4 GF perf if one of those 1st pd chances went in, oh well

major tests incoming with b2b + 2 every other days
v TOR, @ NJ, v MIN, v SJS
1st chunk of heavy schedule, curious to see how we can handle a couple top teams and who plays G for teh b2b

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Backstrom does nothing and instead put Strome in his place. Strome is a shoot first center!

Oshie is doing nothing either. Wilson should be in his place!

Agreed on Strome needing to be on the top unit. Once again he's been their best overall forward and should take one of Backstrom's or Kuznetsov's spots.

But has Wilson really done anything to show he's earned a spot on the top unit over Oshie? For all the attention on the old guys stinking up the joint Wilson has been just as bad if not worse. He's not generating chances, he's not being disruptive, and he's not giving opponents brain damage. He needs to be doing at least one of the three.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I still want to see Ovi in the bumper or just in front of the net generally. Strome should replace Backstrom. Kuznetsov could stay otherwise maybe get McMichael or Milano out there. Get someone active like Phillips in Ovi spot

I get we have bigger issues than a powerplay. But they cannot keep this personnel out there.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Much better game from the team. Old guys showed up and created chances.

Ovie looked great. Backstrom and Oshie played well too.

Kuz gave effort but it looks like he's lost a step. He had an opportunity for an odd man rush and watching him labor to accelerate - something was different.

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey what is your opinion on Kuemper tonight? Do you think he was okay and got no support? He seemed to be on his game.

Jake Allen had a blinder - let's be honest as much as I hate to say it. I thought the Caps had some high quality chances but Allen stopped the ones he needed to?
He got no goal support till late in the game. Had the Caps scored a PP goal, they might have won this game!

Caufield has a good shot, but Kuemper was beat short-side in OT. I didn't like it. Even though Caufield shoots right-handed, Kuemper should have forced Caufield to shoot far-post. Kuemper cheated a bit and Caufield took advantage of it. If a goalie is playing his angles right, forcing a right-handed shooter coming down the left and shooting from inside the circles to go far-side is advantage to the goalie because he knows what side the shooter is going.

Mantha is an idiot! OV gives Mantha a nice pass. All Mantha has to do is put it upstairs into the net. What did he do, he shoots it low where Allen was already coming over to cover if he got to the post in time(which he did).

What exactly has Wilson shown so far this season. Hint, fighting doesn’t count.
I'm not sure because they keep moving him all over the lineup!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I still want to see Ovi in the bumper or just in front of the net generally. Strome should replace Backstrom. Kuznetsov could stay otherwise maybe get McMichael or Milano out there. Get someone active like Phillips in Ovi spot

I get we have bigger issues than a powerplay. But they cannot keep this personnel out there.
Actually the PP is an up there big issue. Why, Caps are one of the worst teams scoring goals in the early season! They have yet to score more than 2 goals in regulation in all their games so far! Their PP is 0 for whatever!

Caps had two golden chances to get a PP goal early in the 1st, but nothing. Caps outplayed the Habs in the 1st but the Habs get a PP under 2 mins left and boom it's 1-0 Habs. I knew it was going to happen before the goal was scored.

Caps PP still is trash because they put the wrong players out for PP1 and the players don't move quick enough and pass the puck too slow. Just about every other team pass the puck quicker than the Caps do. Why, because quicker passes doesn't allow the PK to position themselves quick enough.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
GM 4:
best game yet
most nearly complete effort
most offensive chances
defensively improving
PK best performance by far
most of the Vets more engaged

2 cons I'll note:
0 GF for 50 min
D floundering way too much

Could've turned into a solid 4 GF perf if one of those 1st pd chances went in, oh well

major tests incoming with b2b + 2 every other days
v TOR, @ NJ, v MIN, v SJS
1st chunk of heavy schedule, curious to see how we can handle a couple top teams and who plays G for teh b2b
They will get blown out by Leafs, Devils and Wild, but maybe win against the Sharks or Sharks could get their 1st win of the season against the Caps!

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
blah blah blah
I'll wait til the games happen
I think Caps break out Mon or Tues and rout one of TOR/NJ
I think they are going to get destroyed by the Devils. Hughes is playing like a superstar and that team is too young and fast for the Caps.

Toronto probably give us a hiding as well - interesting to see if Samsonov is in net for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad