Confirmed with Link: Canadiens acquire Jake Allen and a 7th-round pick in 2022 from the Blues in return for a 3rd and 7th

Do you like the trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
to pick up a 4.35M cap hit, I would not have given up a 3rd, maybe a 4th or 5th but at least we finally have legit backup for a change and he's a UFA although him or Lindgren will need to be re-signed for the expansion draft so we have someone to expose.

Plus it means hopefully they can't rush Primeau and he gets a full year in Laval as the start. A Primeau/Lindgren duo should be good enough to get us into the playoffs, just need to get better vets this off-season then they did last year.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
All you guys saying great move are on crack.. We aren't paying a backup 4.3mil.. Price is on his way out in a much much bigger trade is my guess.

are we getting Lafreniere? Because otherwise...

Also, Allen only has 1 year remaining on his contract, and we have a tonne of cape space, relax.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Niemi f***ed up the Habs 2018-19 season with his atrocious play. They would have made the playoffs with a legit backup. Last year's backups sucked just as much. The NHL is talking about an 82 game season starting in December. There's going to be an enormous amount of back-to-backs and the Habs can't keep throwing out garbage to give Price a break.

Have you seen the UFA goalie market? We could have paid any number of goalies the similar contract and not given up a top 90 pick.. it made sense if we were getting compensated. We are not. We are paying up to help another team out while free options were available.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
This is a TERRIBLE trade.

So we spend 14 million in cap on GOALIES.
Blues are hurting to move salary OUT to retain their core.

And WE are giving up the compensation?

This direction also tells me what Bergevin is thinking.. so we are in for a terrible off-season. He's gonna f*** up our prospect pool and pick pool to over-correct on a Covid invitational dream..
Maybe Price is on the way out?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I like the Habs picking up Allen but I don't like that the Habs didn't get anything else included for helping the Blues clear some much needed cap. Seems like the Habs could've used their valuable cap space to get another Armia type deal especially with so many teams against the cap this season.

Allen is a good pickup but it seems like it's a missed opportunity here to get another decent asset included like they did with Armia IMO.

HabbyGilmore

Best man for the job
Feb 17, 2011
Saint John, NB Canda
Hopefully the next move is to ship Price out.
Doesn't make sense to me to trade a 3rd round pick to a team that needs to create cap space for a 4+ million back up goalie. Could have used the cap space to better use like the Marleau trade Carolina did.

agreed.. don't know why others aren't seeing the bigger picture here.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

This direction also tells me what Bergevin is thinking.. so we are in for a terrible off-season. He's gonna f*** up our prospect pool and pick pool to over-correct on a Covid invitational dream..

We have tons of cap space for the 2020-21 season and MB is reluctant to use it on contracts that go beyond 1 season, because of everyone he has to sign next summer. Chances are ver low this won't allow us to sign someone else we would have wanted.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Have you seen the UFA goalie market? We could have paid any number of goalies the similar contract and not given up a top 90 pick.. it made sense if we were getting compensated. We are not. We are paying up to help another team out while free options were available.

Which of those goalies is going to sign for one year? You'd have a point if Allen had extra years on his contract, but he doesn't.

You also need to expose a goalie at the expansion draft. Allen can be that goalie.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Wish we had Crawford but health wise hes not a sure bet.

We wont spend to the cap next year forget it.

and tons of 2 games in 2 night coming next season

Reactions: DavePeak

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Hopefully Jordan Harris, Norlinder, and Cale Fleury have something to say about that. With a little luck Hillis too.

A quick peek at 3rd rounders shows less than 50% even make it and of those have very little games played,exceptions of course. Just wouldn't get all up in arms bout losing a 3rd round pick is all.

Reactions: Runner77 and 26Mats

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Allen was on my wish list but had hoped to get a sweetener with him like we did with Mason. Guess his good stint in the playoffs raised the price. Maybe an asset we can flip at the TDL to recover something extra and gives us a legit back up til Primeau is ready. Ok with the deal

Reactions: Runner77

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Price with his contract isn’t going anywhere.

We either provide him with quality backups (Allen this year, Primeau moving forward) or we don’t.

If we don’t, that contract is going to haunt all of our dreams for years. This moves makes way too much sense especially a 1 year deal with no major RFAs/UFAs on our team and paying a 3rd for it

Reactions: BenchBrawl

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Baffling move. Why on earth are we paying to fix another teams cap bind when there is an absolute glut of goalies available. Hate this even if I realize some idiot is going to quote this when Allen has some good games as if my problem is with the player and not us failing to leverage cap space for the trillionth time.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Allen was on my wish list but had hoped to get a sweetener with him like we did with Mason. Guess his good stint in the playoffs raised the price. Maybe an asset we can flip at the TDL to recover something extra and gives us a legit back up til Primeau is ready. Ok with the deal

They got a sweetener with Mason because Steve Mason really sucked. If Price goes down, Allen is a starter you can be happy with.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009

you hit the nail on the head.
Get Bergevin outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad