Confirmed with Link: Canadiens acquire Jake Allen and a 7th-round pick in 2022 from the Blues in return for a 3rd and 7th

Do you like the trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
This is a TERRIBLE trade.

So we spend 14 million in cap on GOALIES.
Blues are hurting to move salary OUT to retain their core.

And WE are giving up the compensation?

This direction also tells me what Bergevin is thinking.. so we are in for a terrible off-season. He's gonna f*** up our prospect pool and pick pool to over-correct on a Covid invitational dream..

Lol we are going to have Price longterm moving forward so we need to rest him. Allen will play around 30 games from us, and he’s a great backup on a 1 year contract.

Take it ‘ease

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Good move for a backup. I think it helps in two indirect ways:

1. Gives a goalie under contract that can be exposed for the expansion draft.
2. Hopefully allows St. Louis to resign Pietrangelo, which means he stays out west and doesn't come to the Leafs or anything like that.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lol we are going to have Price longterm moving forward so we need to rest him. Allen will play around 30 games from us, and he’s a great backup on a 1 year contract.

Take it ‘ease

It's a terrible trade, you are helping out another team, eating up your cap room and giving up compensation.

Blues should be paying us for this, not the other way around.

Bergevin got taken to the woodshed.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
4.35M cap hit for a backup goalie is too much but he only has 1 year left on his deal.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Why didn't we pry a top prospect or 1st pick away from St. Louis? It was clear they desperately needed to clear cap space. Again, we are too stupid to take advantage of another teams' desperation. So now we have 15 million of cap space tied up in our goalies?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

This direction also tells me what Bergevin is thinking.. so we are in for a terrible off-season. He's gonna f*** up our prospect pool and pick pool to over-correct on a Covid invitational dream..

Niemi f***ed up the Habs 2018-19 season with his atrocious play. They would have made the playoffs with a legit backup. Last year's backups sucked just as much. The NHL is talking about an 82 game season starting in December. There's going to be an enormous amount of back-to-backs and the Habs can't keep throwing out garbage to give Price a break.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

He only has 1 more season. Primeau night be ready to play 30 games next year.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Hopefully the next move is to ship Price out.
Doesn't make sense to me to trade a 3rd round pick to a team that needs to create cap space for a 4+ million back up goalie. Could have used the cap space to better use like the Marleau trade Carolina did.

Reactions: HabbyGilmore

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC

I think you have a point here.

We should have been able to get in addition at the very least a bottom six forward with size or a LD that isn't proven but has promise.

I don't think the cost is too steep but I think a little more could have been squeezed out.

That being said, Price/Allen might be an awesome duo

Reactions: dinodebino

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Jake Allen's going to be just fine for us, further illustrating the point that investing top draft picks and 8 figure contracts into goalies is really f***ing stupid.

If Askarov is available at 16 and Timmins thinks he's the next Vasilevski, take him!

Secure the second most important position after #1 and #2 center for the next 10- 15 years AFTER Price retires! I.e. have the #1 goaltending position secured with an elite goalie for the next 15 - 20 years.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

I get your point salary wise, but I doubt this a) makes a dent in our prospect pool and picks, we have a thousand picks
b)means we might flush prospects because MB rarely trades his prospects

Reactions: sharks9

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
It's a terrible trade, you are helping out another team, eating up your cap room and giving up compensation.

We have way too many draft picks than what we know what to do with.

This is a cheap way to get a very good backup, so that we don’t need Price to play 65 games again and we can try to make the playoffs.

It’s a 1 year deal and we have no major contract to spend on right now. This is a solid value trade.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I don’t hate it. Would prefer not to spend 4.35 on a backup but he’s worth it. Excellent numbers and now we don’t have to ride Price or die when he gets hurt.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec

Again with the whining

Canadiens had the cap space
Salary is for ONE year
He’s a great back up
He’s known by member of the organization

what’s not to like???? Cmon guys

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
That's a lot of salary on a backup goalie. Hopefully more is to come and Bergevin isn't stupid enough to believe a 2nd goalie was all that was needed.

Not hating it as it solves a years-long issue... but I'd rather if they went for one of the gazillions UFAs on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad