Confirmed with Link: Canadiens acquire Eric Tangradi from Jets For Peter Budaj and Patrick Holland

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Jets are hoping Peter Budaj clears waivers Tuesday, they want to keep him for organizational depth. But they know it's possible he's taken

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Yesterday, Budaj thinks he's getting fresh start in WPG behind Pavelec instead of Price in MTL and now he may be an Ice Cap in the AHL.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Jets are hoping Peter Budaj clears waivers Tuesday, they want to keep him for organizational depth. But they know it's possible he's taken

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Yesterday, Budaj thinks he's getting fresh start in WPG behind Pavelec instead of Price in MTL and now he may be an Ice Cap in the AHL.

Feel bad for Budaj... :(

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

...feelin' pretty bad for Bootsie...hell, he could be Winnipeg's starter...hopefully someone picks him off waivers and he gets a good backup role...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Keeping DLR up is stupid. He needs to develop his offense so bad.

It depends on what you expect out of him. I'm seeing a bigger Plecky so far.
But then again I'm basing myself on what i've seen this from this camp only.
He was the one guy who seemed to get better every game.
We know his skill set is above average and his release has drawn rave reviews.
The management seems blown away with his smarts... Me Too
He isn't likely to stay up but depending on the last moves MB makes who knows.
I'm not against apprenticing him at this level if he plays.
We can always send him down after 9...

habitue*

‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Why do the Jets put Budaj on waivers. I don't understant this move at all.... They did not need him ?.....

habitue*

It depends on what you expect out of him. I'm seeing a bigger Plecky so far.
But then again I'm basing myself on what i've seen this from this camp only.
He was the one guy who seemed to get better every game.
We know his skill set is above average and his release has drawn rave reviews.
The management seems blown away with his smarts... Me Too
He isn't likely to stay up but depending on the last moves MB makes who knows.
I'm not against apprenticing him at this level if he plays.
We can always send him down after 9...

Eller will be back and DLR will automatically be sent down to Hamilton. No place for him in the line up.

habitue*

...feelin' pretty bad for Bootsie...hell, he could be Winnipeg's starter...hopefully someone picks him off waivers and he gets a good backup role...

I just don't hope it will be Boston , NYR or Toronto... Could be Philly, though.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Why do the Jets put Budaj on waivers. I don't understant this move at all.... They did not need him ?.....

No, he won't supplant Pavelec as a starter, and they would rather risk losing Budaj to waivers than Hutchinson. I don't believe the Jets traded for Budaj with the thought he would be the backup.

This was a "cap dump" at the end of an AHL trade. I understand Budaj is well-loved and all that, but the Jets didn't want to pay Tangradi $700k to play in the AHL and wanted a younger forward in return, and they don't mind paying double that to Budaj since goaltending depth is an issue, compared to 13th forward call-ups. If he's claimed by someone who wants him, then that's fine with the Jets since they don't have to pay him, but they hope he clears through.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Hmm...maybe my brain hasn't woken up yet...but why did the Jets trade for Budaj and Holland...just to then waive Budaj? Did they really need that much help in the AHL that they would trade for a legit NHL backup goalie? Or did they really want Holland, and Budaj was the 'extra baggage' they need to take from the Habs? Just don't understand the reason...not that I follow the Jets so don't know what their situation is...

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
No, he won't supplant Pavelec as a starter, and they would rather risk losing Budaj to waivers than Hutchinson. I don't believe the Jets traded for Budaj with the thought he would be the backup.

This was a "cap dump" at the end of an AHL trade. I understand Budaj is well-loved and all that, but the Jets didn't want to pay Tangradi $700k to play in the AHL and wanted a younger forward in return, and they don't mind paying double that to Budaj since goaltending depth is an issue, compared to 13th forward call-ups. If he's claimed by someone who wants him, then that's fine with the Jets since they don't have to pay him, but they hope he clears through.

Hmm...guess that makes sense...sucks for Budaj though...He's still a serviceable backup goalie in the NHL...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Eller will be back and DLR will automatically be sent down to Hamilton. No place for him in the line up.

One more move and MB's working on something could free up a spot.
Either way I'm pumped to see him stay in NA...

habitue*

Hmm...maybe my brain hasn't woken up yet...but why did the Jets trade for Budaj and Holland...just to then waive Budaj? Did they really need that much help in the AHL that they would trade for a legit NHL backup goalie? Or did they really want Holland, and Budaj was the 'extra baggage' they need to take from the Habs? Just don't understand the reason...not that I follow the Jets so don't know what their situation is...

Yeah. Me too I don't get it. And I don't see how Holland could have so much value....

habitue*

One more move and MB's working on something could free up a spot.
Either way I'm pumped to see him stay in NA...

DLR is only 19... And he will stay in NA anyway, playing in Hamilton.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Hmm...guess that makes sense...sucks for Budaj though...He's still a serviceable backup goalie in the NHL...

St. John's starter right now would be Budaj - as of Saturday it was Connor Hellebuyck, who comes highly touted in the organization after his years at UMass-Lowell, but should Budaj go to St. John's and play, he'll be able to ease Hellebuyck into his pro career. The Jets did Bergevin a favour with a cap deal, that's about it. Otherwise, it's a one-for-one AHL deal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Keeping DLR up is stupid. He needs to develop his offense so bad.

Is that even possible? I thought offense is an innate skill -- you can teach defense, but offense is something you have or you don't.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Do not try to find logic in the Budaj/Winnipeg situation.

When you are confidently behind Pavelec as your starting goaltender? You are not a logical GM.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Is that even possible? I thought offense is an innate skill -- you can teach defense, but offense is something you have or you don't.

You can teach offensive skills for sure. Players learn proper deflection accuracy in the NHL/AHL. A good portion of goals in the NHL come from deflections. It's difficult to learn that in CHL/Europe.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
Eric Tangradi was the 42nd OV draft pick in the 2007 Entry Draft one spot ahead of our other former Belleville Bull, PK Subban chosen 43rd OV that same draft day. Like our resident scout Grant commented maybe PK Subban can ignite Eric's workout regimen and the Habs will have gained a very good PWF in Tangradi, he certainly has the tools to succeed in the right environment. As Eric said it's nice to be a part of such an iconic organization, I believe that Bergevin could be accused of grand larceny for this trade!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Can anyone think of examples of players acquired by a team around Tangradi's age that developed properly with new organization??

Was thinking Boychuk...anyone else???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad