Prospect Info: Canadiens 2015 Rookie Tournament Thread (Sept 11th to 13th) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You don't actually believe that, do you?

Price was Gainey's guy, 100%. Almost to a fault.

To clarify:

The original offer was Lecavalier for Higgins, Plekanec and Gorges. Gainey got angry in a public scrum about the names being leaked by the worst first round pick of all time Brian Lawton.

Lawton then tried to claim later it was Pacioretty, Price and Subban for Lecavalier to make himself look good.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gainey-lightning/

Lawton is a chronic liar. Lied that no Montreal media talked to him (Lavoie called him on that), blamed Montreal media for leaking it (when TSN were the first to break it) and the story at the time was Lightning ownership didn't want to give Lecavalier away at a discount. That would never be the talk if it was Price/Patches/Subban.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Oh I'm in full agreement with you. Lawton is purely talking out of his ass and I can't believe people buy it.

I know you are, just clarifying what you said :)

I don't entirely blame people believing it because he reported it and every website has since reported it as true, as if that was the deal rejected.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Oh I'm in full agreement with you. Lawton is purely talking out of his ass and I can't believe people buy it.

What's even more telling is that Gainey went out of his way to talk about the unprofessionalism of Lawton after that fiasco. Gainey would never ever do that unless the situation was rotten to the core.

Lawton is and forever will be discredited from that day forward. When I heard Lawton verbally vomit the pretended trade offer about 4 years after the trade talk, I lost it and started screaming at the inanimate object that is my TV.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I don't care what anyone has to say about McCarron since at this point in his development we just don't know what he will end up being. I don't have any problem with people saying he'll be a bottom 6 forward or not in the NHL. It's a safer call then saying he'll be a top 6 forward for sure. You just don't see many kids like him when he was drafted, 18 and that big as a forward but very raw.

I think of him as someone that's a year or two behind other top 50ish draft picks out of the CHL as they grow up playing in the best hockey system in the world and while the USA is clearly improving to the point they are a top 5 program in hockey world overall imo and could be a top 3 program. But it's just not the same in the US as it is in Canada, so I'm glad he got 2 years in what over the last few years may be the best junior league in Canada and the world in the OHL as they have been churning out talent lately.

Now it's about how he will take the things he's learned from his OHL days and how he will apply them to the pro level. I don't know how it will go for him, what I do suspect is that he will help the Habs just about more then any other NHL team as we so sorely need someone like him for so long. Now we finally have a hulking forward that wants to hit people and is willing to drive to the net hard every shift but also be a real pain to move from the crease. Someone that will bang in the rebounds in tight as he's going to be very tough to move off the puck when he's in his prime. He seems willing to learn and put in the efforts to improve on his weaknesses, but you never know when a prospect is going to peak or keep improving and at what rate.

So we'll just have to wait and see what McCarron becomes and it starts this year. I'm sure he'll get a look in the NHL if not this year then next unless he really struggles. The main question I have is about how his offensive game translates say 5 years from now. To me he's an underrated passer, he's going to score his fair share of goals especially from around the crease. But I also think over the 2 years that I've watched him that he's still raw in his overall game and has a lot of little things to improve upon, which isn't a big deal, just that in some ways he's a bit behind other top prospects but in other ways he's ahead since he has NHL size/strength/physical game with good skating/speed for such a big body.

Let's face it though, some posters have had it in for him since the second he was drafted. I don't care what their reasons are, it's clear to me but anything anyone says at this point good or bad doesn't mean much as we just don't know what he will end up being for us, only time will tell.

He reminds me of a young Peter Mahovlich, the one Detroit gave up on and Montreal seen the upside alongside Frank "The Big M" Mahovlich that helped the Habs to more Stanley Cups in the 70's. Which Detroit didn't win one at all in the 60's & 70's despite the Hockeytown moniker, Mickey Redmond the player traded for Frank scored lots of goals, but was never the player to take a team over the top. Which Peter & Frank did in Montreal, two great PK & PP guys and great 5 on 5 team players, McCarron has that same type of drive to succeed and the smarts to want to be the best he can become, hard to find these days.:nod:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Anyway we've gotten pretty far off-topic. Rookie camp is over, main camp is getting underway, let's take the discussion to that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad