Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm not on board - multiple knee injuries at 18 is a bad sign.
These boys are healthy
41858.jpg
65d3f39012e7d.image.jpg

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Again, he's in Russia. How exactly will they be doing their "due diligence" on his medicals? That will be in Russian, performed by Russian doctors, and likely be influenced by his agent. (you know, Russian corruption).

There's absolutely no way to verify the status of his knee without having him come over, and evaluating it yourself.

There are MILLIONS of dollars on the line here. To believe his medicals wouldn't be doctored to show exactly what they need to show to keep him at #2, is naive.
It's a routine injury that happens all the time and is usually pretty minor. It's hockey, players get hurt (see most recent Blackhawks season), running away because a player suffered a pretty normal injury in the 2nd to last game his team played this year would be beyond foolish. "performed by Russian doctors", you speak like Russia is North Korea...

• Love
Reactions: Muffinalt

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Based on the video of the injury, most likely injuries would be the MCL at the knee or a high ankle sprain. The boot suggests the latter.
I mean, as I re-watched that celebration vid again and again it doesn't look like to me that his knee is fixated in any way, it clearly bends and apparently moves rather freely.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He had crutches, but he was holding those, not walking on them. Do you have some link for what his agent was saying? I don't think I've read that, probably missed it.
There are a couple Athletic articles that quote his agent Dan Milstein as saying knee injury and won't require surgery. Then this.

Translation:

INFO:

Ivan Demidov is recovering well from his knee injury suffered in the MHL final. He won't need surgery. He is expected to return to full fitness before the draft and will therefore be able to train without restrictions for the upcoming season.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
There are a couple Athletic articles that quote his agent Dan Milstein as saying knee injury and won't require surgery. Then this.

Translation:

INFO:

Ivan Demidov is recovering well from his knee injury suffered in the MHL final. He won't need surgery. He is expected to return to full fitness before the draft and will therefore be able to train without restrictions for the upcoming season.

I saw a quote on the main boards and there Milstein just told that no surgery will be required, didn't specify what the injury is, I have no idea where this Martenau guy is getting his info from though. Still on that vid from two weeks ago he doesn't seem to be bothered by the knee, but is definitely bothered by the ankle.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Translation:

INFO:

Which we are not to take at face value because Demidov, Milstein, the doctors, Rotenberg and Putin are sitting around a table conspiring on how to scam the Blackhawks out of.. drafting a player too highly.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Still on board with going full Demigod.

Bedard had his jaw broken this year. Injuries happen.

Seems like Demidov will be 100% before the draft and will be able to train with no problems for the rest of the off season.

Hawks are going to their due diligence with him. As they will with Levshunov, Silyev, Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson and the rest...

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
It's a routine injury that happens all the time and is usually pretty minor. It's hockey, players get hurt (see most recent Blackhawks season), running away because a player suffered a pretty normal injury in the 2nd to last game his team played this year would be beyond foolish. "performed by Russian doctors", you speak like Russia is North Korea...

Still, multiple 6/8 week leg injuries in one's draft year is absolutely something to keep in mind.

Given that issue & the fact that he's not been allowed a better shot against the pros where we can get different eye test I think there's legitimate reason to have some pause. He had a monster but short season then great playoffs. Truth is, some guys just get injured more and that follows them their whole career. Dach had "injury issues" that were pooh pooh'd, now he's an injury waiting to happen.

In hindsight everyone likes to play Monday morning quarterback. Point is, I'm not sure I could evaluate whether an 18 year old who killed the MHL this year would be the next Kucherov or the next Yakupov (who played in NA before draft)? No clue :dunno:

I do think there's a current FOMO on the next Russian super star because of a few draft steals, Tampa's success certainly a part of that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yakupov doesn’t even make sense if your concern is the MHL as he played in the OHL. Any major junior darling could be that regardless of where they are from.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Still on board with going full Demigod.

Bedard had his jaw broken this year. Injuries happen.

Seems like Demidov will be 100% before the draft and will be able to train with no problems for the rest of the off season.

Hawks are going to their due diligence with him. As they will with Levshunov, Silyev, Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson and the rest...
If Demidov had a jaw injury, there wouldn't be any discussion about it

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I saw a quote on the main boards and there Milstein just told that no surgery will be required, didn't specify what the injury is, I have no idea where this Martenau guy is getting his info from though. Still on that vid from two weeks ago he doesn't seem to be bothered by the knee, but is definitely bothered by the ankle.
I'm not saying the Hawks shouldn't draft him. Not by any means. I think he has the highest ceiling, and is the most talented player in the draft, outside of Celebrini. I just think that I'd take pause on the Hawks drafting him if their own doctors aren't able to examine him and do their due diligence to confirm he's not going to have continued leg problems moving forward. The Hawks essentially HAVE to hit on this player to give them a realistic shot at building another contender, IMO. So drafting a guy who is going to be a constant injury risk would suck.

Reactions: Pez68

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I said he played in NA in my post.

And, his success over here was part of why he was touted so highly.
Right and that's why the comparison didn't make sense, unless it's just blindly speculating on how a prospect could bust, which is the same as anyone...

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm not saying the Hawks shouldn't draft him. Not by any means. I think he has the highest ceiling, and is the most talented player in the draft, outside of Celebrini. I just think that I'd take pause on the Hawks drafting him if their own doctors aren't able to examine him and do their due diligence to confirm he's not going to have continued leg problems moving forward. The Hawks essentially HAVE to hit on this player to give them a realistic shot at building another contender, IMO.
It might be surprising, but I'm not exactly a fan of Demidov. However when I come here and read some strange arguments like "you can't evaluate someone in the MHL" or about this mysterious knee injury that noone in Russia has heard of and that allows him to almost to dance on the ice in that celebration vid... I mean, I don't even know how to react to that.

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Right and that's why the comparison didn't make sense, unless it's just blindly speculating on how a prospect could bust, which is the same as anyone...

Well, it was just the fact that Yak came over and played well against "them good old Canadian boys" thus he wasn't just a product of Russia juniors. That helped solidify his draft capital.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It might be surprising, but I'm not exactly a fan of Demidov. However when I come here and read some strange arguments like "you can't evaluate someone in the MHL" or about this mysterious knee injury that noone in Russia has heard of and that allows him to almost to dance on the ice in that celebration vid... I mean, I don't even know how to react to that.
I assume you're in Russia? If so, if you have sources that contradict the report from his agent and all of the NA scouting regarding his knee, even if in Russian, please share them? Kind of proves our point about players in Russia though, doesn't it? We can't even get a definitive report on WHAT he injured. :laugh:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I assume you're in Russia? If so, if you have sources that contradict the report from his agent and all of the NA scouting regarding his knee, even if in Russian, please share them? Kind of proves our point about players in Russia though, doesn't it? We can't even get a definitive report on WHAT he injured. :laugh:
What proves your point that it’s a serious injury that requires surgery though?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
What about Demidov do you not like?

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore

What about Demidov do you not like?

And....

Since we're discussing this guy at #2.

Who do you think scouts are sleeping on that could be a draft steal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad