Canadian world junior fans criticized in Buffalo

Kaoz*

Hey USA... just wanted to put this out there, love you man

In seriousness though, why is it every year there is this American/Canadian pissing match? Might be because its the only thing us Canadians can lay claim to (besides better beer I guess), dunno, but every year it's still pretty stupid. The Americans have made some great strides with their junior system, and honestly any growth of the sport down south is damn good news to me as a hockey fan. Keep it going I say, the better the American kids get the healthier the sport.

The can already ice teams that will compete with the Canadian teams any day of the week, as can the Russians and Swedes, and just about every country at the WJC/Worlds ices a team capable of an upset. The more the merrier.

Captain Mittens*

Hey USA... just wanted to put this out there, love you man

In seriousness though, why is it every year there is this American/Canadian pissing match? Might be because its the only thing us Canadians can lay claim to (besides better beer I guess), dunno, but every year it's still pretty stupid. The Americans have made some great strides with their junior system, and honestly any growth of the sport down south is damn good news to me as a hockey fan. Keep it going I say, the better the American kids get the healthier the sport.

The can already ice teams that will compete with the Canadian teams any day of the week, as can the Russians and Swedes, and just about every country at the WJC/Worlds ices a team capable of an upset. The more the merrier.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::nod::nod:

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
Locally? They don't serve at the D1 games (except in the Blue and White Club), so probably "man, UB made it close but they lost again." :laugh: As for major programs that I've attended... the amount of stupid drunkeness at NC State, Duke, or USC games is very, very limited, not just in comparison to NFL games but overall. They're well attended and there is a party atmosphere, but it isn't an excuse to go puke in public like so many Bills games are.

I was criticizing the security guard comment for there are those types of fans no matter what level of sport it is. College sporting events in America was my example, and these athletes are of similar age or slightly older, generally.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think the point of the article was it is ok to be rude, loud, obnoxious and get into a fight or two as long as you leave a 25% tip -- :laugh: :handclap:

It is sort of "pay to play" I guess.

Hey take it from me, as a veteran American drunk....I get away with a lot of things in various establishments based on the tip I leave. It works! I never have to say I’m sorry, I just leave a little extra and everyone wants you back :nod:

Kaoz*

Not really.

Basically we're left with the image of a toddler jumping up and down screaming "Last word! Last word!".

Really, this is all I took away from it:

Donn Esmonde said:
<snip>I have no idea<snip>

No Donn, Canadians aren't mad at what you wrote. We're laughing at you, not to conceal our true hurt feelings.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides those drunk fans from Canada acting stupid and not representing what a true Canadian fan is, why do some Americans on here hate it when Canadians like to show national pride but Americans can do that whenever they want at other international events. The IIHF knew that having the World Juniors in Buffalo would mean that 95% of the fans were coming from Canada since Toronto is only an hour & a half - 2 hours away, so no one should complain about that. Maybe it's just me but I get a sense of when America does it then it's ok, however when Canada does the same thing it's wrong.

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
I went to every game and sat in sctn 206 most of the tournament. Most canadaians were knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk to. The problem was the other maybe 10 percent tops (mostly younger) that stood out like a soar thumb. Ignorant, obnoxious and rude. This is not saying you wouldn't get the same out of people from the states outside their environment. Also take not note the club level is prolly calmer. What's done is done. The Russians won, alll of North America lost in the end. ;)

scream_guy3

Nov 7, 2006
I went to every game and sat in sctn 206 most of the tournament. Most canadaians were knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk to. The problem was the other maybe 10 percent tops (mostly younger) that stood out like a soar thumb. Ignorant, obnoxious and rude. This is not saying you wouldn't get the same out of people from the states outside their environment. Also take not note the club level is prolly calmer. What's done is done. The Russians won, alll of North America lost in the end. ;)

Hey I was in 319 for the whole tournament. I had problems with a few Canadians, but most were just a pleasure to talk to. I even had a couple Americans sitting beside me that were good fun. The biggest problem I ran into were a couple Americans behind me who kept throwing peanuts at my friend and I. I do agree some Canadian fans were obnoxious, but it's not like it was something you wouldn't see at a Sabres game.

Hextall27

Nov 6, 2003
Buffalo
Visit site
Canada is awesome, their fans are awesome. the US is awesome. I've always taken pride in the small fact that in Buffalo, at Sabres games, regardless of the teams playing BOTH national anthems are played. Although I'm an american through and through I've always felt a connection to Canada, having been to a few cities on both sides...Edmonton and Hamilton feel more "home" to me than Raleigh or Miami did. not sure if its the weather or something else. Ive always liked the fact that I live so close to Canada.

It feels like we need one of those "Rocky 4" montages to unite us. In a way its kinda like how I resented my younger brother because he threw a baseball better than I did, but at the same time he was pissed at me cause I had a better job...

US VS CANADA is an overblown sibling rivalry which is great for us all as long as things are kept in perspective.

LeafsFan4Ever

Dec 29, 2006
Canada is awesome, their fans are awesome. the US is awesome. I've always taken pride in the small fact that in Buffalo, at Sabres games, regardless of the teams playing BOTH national anthems are played.

That is because half the arena is from Ft. Erie and the rest of the Niagara Region, Sabres management isnt stupid, they will play both anthems to appease their fans.

Hextall27

Nov 6, 2003
Buffalo
Visit site
I understand that is why they play both, but the thing is, they dont have to (and most wouldnt care the least if they didn't) but they do. Its a showing of respect, and so, in my opinion. "Oh Canada" should be played at all NHL games, be it in Calgary, Buffalo or San Jose. As a nod to all the canadian players, as an acknowledge that hockey is canadian and a showing of Unity between the nations. a little off topic, sorry

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Next time we'll save America the trouble of hosting the tournament. Canada should get the WJC every year, alleviating the pain of our neighboring Buffalonians.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Arrogant, loud, drunk, obnoxious — if I didn’t know better, I would have thought that they were, well, Americans.

At least she got this part right.

Lived in the state for 8 years, made a few friends... but mostly got the "OMG YOU'RE CANADIAN!?!?!??! OMG DO YOU SPEAK FRENCH? YOU MUST BE AMAZING AT HOCKEY!!!! OMG! OMG! OMG!"

Was working last weekend and heard a woman say "she needs to start speaking Canadian" following with the words "aboot" and "eh?" (which was used in the wrong manner as well)

ahhh ignorance.

BuffaloPete

Nov 27, 2010
Buffalo
From Sunday's Buffalo News... http://www.buffalonews.com/city/columns/donn-esmonde/article313937.ece

Esmonde rights the ship... hopefully this will put an end to the bickering. I love being American and equally love living so close to Canada. The only thing separating us is a river. Just because it happens to be a national border doesn't mean much at all- Buffalo and Southern Ontario are one in the same when you compare this area to California, Texas, etc.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I went to every game and sat in sctn 206 most of the tournament. Most canadaians were knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk to. The problem was the other maybe 10 percent tops (mostly younger) that stood out like a soar thumb.

Yes. It is usually the youngens that are the most obnoxious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad