Canadian world junior fans criticized in Buffalo

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Among the damning criticisms: we don’t wait to turn right on red; we say “ehâ€; we like to take a drink; the Rogers Centre is ugly; we tip only two bucks on a $25 bar tab; someone punched someone else at a game.

Oh, Buffalo. We rescued your tournament from local apathy and crushing irrelevance and this is the thanks we get?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...adian-world-junior-fans-criticized-in-buffalo in response to http://www.buffalonews.com/city/columns/donn-esmonde/article307005.ece

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yet another columnist who measures success in website hits.

Well, I'm guessing he/she is going for a record with this rambling and pointless tirade.

My favorite:

"Make no mistake, we were more than happy the past couple of weeks to have Canadians sleep in our hotel rooms, eat in our restaurants, drink in our bars and shop in our malls. We love the uncommon smell of outside dollars. All we ask is that you do not be obnoxious about it"

Would you prefer if we just mailed you all of the cash in envelopes and stayed out of your precious city altogether? That would save you all of the tremendous pain and anguish of having people attend your international event.

Maybe just a big cash drop-off point just beyond the city limits, so we could unload the dump trucks of money into your economy without getting your doormats muddy.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I'm sure the tournament would have been great without the Canadian support :sarcasm:

It's ok, living in that ghost-town he won't have a job much longer.

Pitlick*

Some Hockey Canada fans are drunken animals, for sure.

I've been to a Buffalo Bills game, and some of their fans are drunken animals too, just as bad if not worse (so *** profane!).

Never seen a game in Philly, but I'd imagine it would be worse; especially if you were a visiting Skins, Giants, or Cowboys fan. It would be fun to see a game there; I'd have to cheer for Philly, though; I'd make sure I see a game where my team isn't playing.

The tipping makes no sense; my friends and I would always leave a $5 tip on a $25 order. I thought most Canucks were good tippers, especially on beer. At least they didn't leave Canadian Tire money and say the bearded guy was our president. Of course this wouldn't work in Buffalo; maybe in Mississippi?

(I think the guy is just trying to be funny / get attention)

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Pissing match between two bad writers. Funniest thing in either article is this:

The players didn’t get any better. The players have always been the world’s best.

The attitude changed. We collectively decided that while there is no shame in finishing second, it should not be a pre-tournament objective. This is Canada. We own this game.

Guess he forgot they lost in all that.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Guess he forgot they lost in all that.

Haven't you learned anything?

The most Canadian thing in the world is to state "Canada is #1" immediately after losing the game.

It's part of that obnoxiousness the Buffalo columnist was alluding to.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Ah yes, Stereotypes. B/C A few Canadians are bad tippers, I'm sure they're all bad tippers. Just like all Americans are great tipper! Same goes for drunks, Americans never get drunk.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I saw the canadians fans were going nuts. Whatever. I say let them. Hockey is their sport. Dont think there are any bigger hockey fans than there are in Canada. Maybe they were nutz in Russia and maybe Sweden. Still dont think they match it though. Wish Americans were as passionate about Hockey. Such a fun sport to watch. Im an american and Football is our sport. I think I would rather go see a game 7 stanley cup finals game than the super bowl. Thats just me though.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
ever watch the show, "How I met your Mother" ?

They had one show that dipicted Canadiens as being afraid of the dark as well.

Pretty funny show

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Pretty funny show

All of the Canadian references on that show are great.

I think my favourite was the Canadian character's excitement at having met Mason Raymond in the Vancouver Canucks' locker room...

"MASON RAYMOND!"

...followed by the blank stares of her American friends.

Great choice for a relatively obscure player.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006

Pretty funny show

"How many Canadians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"
"What, oh no! The lightbulb is out? I'm scared!"

The Canada jokes on that show are hilarious because of how dumb they are, and how difficult for someone to actually be offended by them.

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
There's a reason HSBC Arena security guards were coming up to my friends and I looking for high-fives after the Russians took the lead in the gold medal game.

The number of drunk jackasses outnumbered the number of nice, civil people. As one arena employee joked to me, "Do they realize these are 19 year olds playing hockey?"

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
There's a reason HSBC Arena security guards were coming up to my friends and I looking for high-fives after the Russians took the lead in the gold medal game.

The number of drunk jackasses outnumbered the number of nice, civil people. As one arena employee joked to me, "Do they realize these are 19 year olds playing hockey?"

People get over excited about the under 20 world cup but thats fine its only canadians that people keep bashing.One thing people have to keep in mind if it was not for the canadian fans the events would have been a nightmare.

Captain Mittens*

Ah yes, Stereotypes. B/C A few Canadians are bad tippers, I'm sure they're all bad tippers. Just like all Americans are great tipper! Same goes for drunks, Americans never get drunk.

exactly

Exaggeration 101, the actions of a select few = the actions of million

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
People get over excited about the under 20 world cup but thats fine its only canadians that people keep bashing.One thing people have to keep in mind if it was not for the canadian fans the events would have been a nightmare.

Without Canadians, there would've been no fights, no flag burning, no arrests, and no price-gouging. Yeah, what a nightmare that could've been.

Captain Mittens*

The number of drunk jackasses outnumbered the number of nice, civil people. "

I wasn't there, I live in California on the other side of the nation, But I seriously doubt that.

It is much easier to notice 50, 100, or even 200 jackasses than it is to notice 10,000 civil people

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Without Canadians, there would've been no fights, no flag burning, no arrests, and no price-gouging. Yeah, what a nightmare that could've been.

Like it or not they brought in a ton of cash be it tickets/hotels etc which is needed.It would have been a night mare because there would have been thousands of empty seats.

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
I was under the impression that a large number of Canadian fans were cheering for the Americans in the bronze medal game. But the Buffalo writer said Canadian fans cheered against the US in every game...

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

Kind of like how some American Buffalo Bills fans burned Canadian flags because they were upset that some Bills games were to play in Toronto.

What you don't believe it because you didn't see it?:laugh::laugh:

By the way, how many fights? How many flags were burned? How many arrests?

Was there any fights between American and Canadian fans? And who won? I bet the Americans won them all.:amazed:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I was under the impression that a large number of Canadian fans were cheering for the Americans in the bronze medal game. But the Buffalo writer said Canadian fans cheered against the US in every game...

They were and they were waving the little American flags.....but all Canadians hate the Yanks :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad