Canadian World Cup roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

SopelFan*

Rabid Ranger said:
Apparently on the Red Wings and going by the name Kirk Maltby.
:joker:

I forgot to add this... but Brewer? Wayne must be getting old, he's stuck in 2002.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SopelFan said:
:joker:

I forgot to add this... but Brewer? Wayne must be getting old, he's stuck in 2002.

Yeah, Wayne was thinking of Brad Stuart but couldn't remember his name, so he went with Eric Brewer.

leafaholix*

I love the addition of Maltby and Draper.

A lot of you care too much about "top 50" NHL players and big name players... I don't care if his name is John Doe, as long as he can play his game and shut down key opponents, I'm lovin' it.

Results are much more important.

SopelFan*

Leafaholix said:

A lot of you care too much about "top 50" NHL players and big name players... I don't care if his name is John Doe, as long as he can play his game and shut down key opponents, I'm lovin' it.

Why didn't they take Primeau or Madden then?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:

Without a doubt. It's why I won't be surprised if the U.S. features something similar revolving around Craig Conroy and a guy like Mike York.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
In Nagano they didn't pick the best players but the best role players. In salt Lake city they picked the best players. Now they have reverted back to picking the best role players. I'm not complaining as I really like this squad. Especially the "international grind line". I'm just a little nervous that they won't be able to put the puck in the net often enough.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Richards and Marty must play in the same line..

Great that Smyth was picked, he is the heart and soul of this team, always been playing the World Championships and taken the team to two straight gold medals.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
SopelFan said:

Draper is a better shut-down center than Primeau. He has won more over his career, and is much faster. And Maltby is much faster than Maddden.. The two have worked together, they have proven they can shut down anybody they are up against, and there will be no need to build up chemistry.

not only that. But i also see this selection as a reward and loyalty. Draper and Maltby made Forsberg NUTS at the WChmp's last season. they were an Intergral part to Canada winning, and I doubt they would of won with out them. Gretz and Canada chose them again because they proved they can win, they have 3 stanley cups together and a WChmp goal medal. What has primeau won? And how many things have Primeau and Madden won together? How long have they worked together.

people look at names as a ranking way to much when selecting international teams. And while im US guy and probably should be cheering for the US, its great to see a team chosen that reflects the times and reflects that Winning is everything, and filling out your roster with the top players means nothing when you dont have the edge needed to win.

Draper, Malty, Doan........ Teams are going to HATE that line.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Mountie said:
Regehr is disgustingly over-rated because of great coaching, but he is still a very good defenceman who won't hurt the team.

LOL, such an absurd and ignorant statement.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Rob said:
In Nagano they didn't pick the best players but the best role players. In salt Lake city they picked the best players. Now they have reverted back to picking the best role players. I'm not complaining as I really like this squad. Especially the "international grind line". I'm just a little nervous that they won't be able to put the puck in the net often enough.

with the roster selected, and how offensive-heavy the top 3 lines are. If you are depending upon Draper or Maltby to put the puck in the net often, you already lost and they are filling garbage minutes.

look at the wings in the play-offs. If your top 3 lines cant score and yer stuck using your shutdown guys as offensive threats, pack it in and go home.

canada has enough firepower that maltby and draper can just do thier job and shut down the opposing top line *AGAIN* and poke in a few ugly-garbage goals when the time is right.

leafaholix*

SopelFan said:
I don't know... but I'm sure one of the two (Draper, Maltby) were locks to make the team... and considering how great they play together, Gretzky decided to take them both.

Chemistry I would think.

Madden would also have been another option, but I'm sure he plays centre, no? If so, this team's already got 5 really good centres.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Yes Im Peter Ing said:
I find it a bit unfair that Regehr gained a spot based on two series worth of play, while McCabe, with two years of top-notch defensive service, was over-looked.

You must not watch the Flames much during the regular season. Robyn was our top defensive defensemen. This guy is loaded with potential. he is THIS GOOD while coming off an injury a few years back where he crushed both of his legs in a car accident. The guy gets better and better each year. To say that he was picked off 2 series is totally unfair to him as he has been a monster all year.

hockeyking2000

Mar 2, 2004
You all make me sick! Do you really think you can construst a team better that Wayne Gretzky! Months and months of work was put into making this team and all you people sitting at your computer with a beer in your hand are trying to tell me that you could do better?
Come on dont make me laugh

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Maltby is replacing Fleury. Draper is replacing Peca. They arent replacing guys like Kariya. Holy ****. They are expected to go out and shut players down! Not score ****ing goals! Say I'm being a Wing bias all you want, but they will do great things for Team Canada. Players like Brad Richards, Patrick Marleau, Danny Heatley, and Martin St. Louis are the guys replacing Kariya, Nolan, Shanahan, Lindros, Neiuwendyk and are the reason guys like Tanguay, and Lecavalier arent there. So dont go saying Maltby and Draper are bad choices and saying **** like "Kariya + Tanguay > Draper + Maltby" I can understand why you think Kirk Maltby isnt a good choice. However, he and Draper play so well togethar. They will be amazing for Canada's PK. Keith Primeau might have been a better choice then Maltby. I think Gretzky was going for chemistry.

Jarome Iginla - Joe Sakic - Simon Gagne
Danny Heatley - Joe Thornton - Mario Lemieux
Shane Doan - Kris Draper - Kirk Maltby
Martin St. Louis - Brad Richards - Ryan Smyth
ex: Steve Yzerman - Patrick Marleau - Bredan Morrow

Chris Pronger - Scott Niedermayer
Rob Blake - Ed Jovanovski
Adam Foote - Wade Redden
ex: Eric Brewer - Robyn Regehr

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Ed Belfour

Marleau, Yzerman and Morrow could get playing time. I'm very excited to see how all of this folds out.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
hockeyking2000 said:
You all make me sick! Do you really think you can construst a team better that Wayne Gretzky! Months and months of work was put into making this team and all you people sitting at your computer with a beer in your hand are trying to tell me that you could do better?
Come on dont make me laugh

Besides, we need to give him the benefit of the doubt, since the last team he put together was greatly criticized for his choices (by almost everyone) but went on to win the Gold medal.

Tommy_2004

May 12, 2004
-Sakic - Lemieux - Heatley
-Marleau -Thornton - Iginla
-Smyth - Yzerman - St. Louis
-Maltby - Draper - Doan

Pronger - Niedermayer
Foote - Blake
Jovanovski - Brewer

gnardini1998

Just saw the roster and haven't had much time to think about it; but it sounds great. I also think that it is neat that many players who right now are not happy with each other will soon be teamates. I haven't been this excited about hockey since May 2.

Phanuthier*

Peter Mahr (Flames insider) comments...

Goaltending
Belfore is in because of his experiance and because of the way he handled the 3rd string in the Olympics. Theodore's play in round 2 might have put him out.

Defense
Biggest surprise is Brewer, but he's on there because of experiance. Bouwmeester and Stuart are likely the black aces.

Forwards
Surprisingly, Mahr said the biggest surprise was Gagne - because of the poor season he had. He also said the commitee likely had Gagne on because like Brewer, his experiance in the last Olympics and his play back then. Maltby wasn't a surprise, since he said they needed good checkers. Kerr and Mahr agreed the dark horse in this tournament is Morrow, who could really break out. Mahr also mentioned Marleau as a potential darkhorse as well who could also make a huge impact. Mario, Yzerman and Doan may not be on the roster when it actually starts because of injuries, and in that case, Bertuzzi is expected to be slid in so that it goes under the radar. Lecavlier was left off because of his inconsistancies, Kariya because he had a bad year, Nash because it wasn't his time yet.

Macman

May 15, 2004
My take:

1. I'm a little surprised that both Maltby AND Draper were chosen, but I'm OK with it. They were probably the biggest reason Canada won the 2002 world championship. They were a force over there and I'm glad Hockey Canada remembers that. They just might be the two best penalty killers in the world and that will be vitally important in a tournament that will feature all kinds of hitting on the smaller ice and probably lots of penalties.

2. A lot of people seem to be upset that Primeau's not on the team, but I'm not. If the tournament was being played now, he'd be an obvious pick, but not in August. He tends to start the year slowly and get stronger as the year goes on, and in a short tournament like this, we don't need guys who will be slow out of the box.

3. I'm a little surprised that Gagne is on the team. I don't think he's done enough to justify a spot over a guy like Nash, who I'm absolutely shocked isn't there. But I can live with it because Gagne is capable of breaking a game open.

4. Belfour is an excellent choice. He was content as a backup in Salt Lake and he'll be good insurance again at the World Cup. And I can't believe anyone would pick Theodore over him.

5. The bottom line is Canada is deep in goal, on defence, and up front, and will be able to kill penalties better than most. It's going to take an awfully hot goalie to beat them. Of course, that happened in '96.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Leafaholix said:

I agree completely...this team will bod 3 outstanding scoring lines and an elite checking line.

People underestimate the value of players like Draper and Maltby.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I like this team. If everything goes right, this could be a great, formidable team. They can play it anyway you want.

Unlike most of the posters on this site, my only concerns are Stevie Y, Mario and Joey The Kidd Thornton. Steve and Mario may be past their health and their prime and Thornton hasn't shown up in any of the playoff series I've seen him. But how could anyone exclude these guys. They are world class talent. Hopefully, two can put it together for the last time and the third one can jump start his career to another level.

Cyclops II*

Patrick - Flames Fan said:
LOL, such an absurd and ignorant statement.

He IS somewhat overrated but there is nothing wrong with the selection.
Hannan is a better defenseman than most of the selections though. He certainly should be ahead of Regehr, Foote, Brewer and Jovanovski. I would leave off Brewer and Jovanovski.
Stuart has not done enough to belong on the team. Can't play the point and gives the puck away too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad