Canadian World Cup roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Im Peter Ing

Dec 6, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=84011
Thread renamed, post-press-conference talk starts from post #23.
- Laituri

----------------------

So the waiting, the debating, and the endless lists and projected rosters finally comes to an end...

A press conference has been called for tomorrow to unveil the final WC roster.

Heres hoping for McCabe :D (Cue another 5 page thread debating the Canadian defense core, just for nostalgia purposes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
Yes Im Peter Ing said:
So the waiting, the debating, and the endless lists and projected rosters finally comes to an end...

A press conference has been called for tomorrow to unveil the final WC roster.

Heres hoping for McCabe :D (Cue another 5 page thread debating the Canadian defense core, just for nostalgia purposes)

Here's hoping Wade Redden gets McCabe's spot!

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Fat Quinn will have his finger prints on this one. He'll make sure one of his overacheving whiners is on the team.

leafaholix*

Nihilism said:
Fat Quinn will have his finger prints on this one. He'll make sure one of his overacheving whiners is on the team.
Like he did in Salt Lake?

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
If McCabe is on the team I will drink a Molson Canadian.

PS: I cant stand that beer so it will be painfull.

or better yet, a low carb beer.

Last edited:

Killer 93

Nihilism said:

Do you really think it is necessary to say something stupid like this everytime the Leafs /a Leaf player is mentioned?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
E = CH² said:
Yeah well Cujo had the chance to be the starter...

More to a point, Quinn pretty much anointed Joseph his starter, and only until he blew up against Sweden did he make a change, a change that would help lead to the gold medal. You can look at that two ways:

1) What on earth gave Quinn the idea to go with Joseph?

2) Quinn had the humility to pull his guy and go with the best option for his country's chance to win.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
If McCabe makes it over Redden then its clear that Quinn influenced the decision. Hopefully Gretzky won't fall for that and pick the real top 6 defenseman. :)

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If Brewer makes it I will seriously, seriously question Gretzky's integrity.

There are plenty defenceman other than the ''locks'' more deserving than Brewer IMO:

McCabe
Redden
Aucoin
Regehr
Hannan
Stuart
Souray

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com
Dr. kØUkLØs said:
It will be interesting to find out who will be the team's 3rd goalie.

I would think Theodore.. but since Quinn is the head coach there's no doubt in my mind Theodore's spot will be taken by Belfour.. and Belfour will obviously take the number one spot.. leaving Luongo the third spot with Brodeur as the back up..

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
JoseTheo said:
I would think Theodore.. but since Quinn is the head coach there's no doubt in my mind Theodore's spot will be taken by Belfour.. and Belfour will obviously take the number one spot.. leaving Luongo the third spot with Brodeur as the back up..

Theodore let's in soft goals left and right he had one fluke season.Hell most hab fans want to trade him and have Garon be the starter.Belfour has is a stanley cup tender and only Martin Brodeur is better at this point for Canada.(Im not sold on Luongo he wasn't that great at the World Championships)

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
JoseTheo said:

Belfour for the number 1 spot, are you kidding? Over Brodeur? Give me a break.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I think theres only 3 sure bets on the blueline (Niedermayer, Blake, Pronger) theres obviously going to be lots of upset Canadians when the homer picks arent chosen, IMO, Jovanovski, Regeher, Redden and Brewer will all be fighting for a spot or two. I dont think Foote will be named, I think Stevens will be named, and if hes not 100%, then Foote, Smith or a youngster might take his role. Heres my take on how it goes. (not what I want, but what i figure will happen)..

Niedermayer
Blake
Pronger
Stevens*
Mccabe
Redden
Brewer
Jovanovski

Brewers international experience and success in major tournaments will likely help him here. I dont think he will be a top 6 guy, but he will make a good 7-8.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
mowzie said:
I think theres only 3 sure bets on the blueline (Niedermayer, Blake, Pronger) theres obviously going to be lots of upset Canadians when the homer picks arent chosen, IMO, Jovanovski, Regeher, Redden and Brewer will all be fighting for a spot or two. I dont think Foote will be named, I think Stevens will be named, and if hes not 100%, then Foote, Smith or a youngster might take his role. Heres my take on how it goes. (not what I want, but what i figure will happen)..

Niedermayer
Blake
Pronger
Stevens*
Mccabe
Redden
Brewer
Jovanovski

Brewers international experience and success in major tournaments will likely help him here. I dont think he will be a top 6 guy, but he will make a good 7-8.
From a swedish standpoint I would go with the exact lineup except for Stevens, too old and too injured. Regehr is a player that I haven´t seen enough of to make a judgement (they seldom show Calgary-games in Sweden) but I guess he´s close of making the team. Bouwmeester must be considered as well after his fine showing at the World Championships. McCabe is a questionmark as well, but then again Pat Quinn is the head coach.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
1. Dany Heatley
2. Joe Thornton
3. Rob Blake
4. Adam Foote
5. Joe Sakic
6. Brenden Morrow
7. Kris Draper
8. Kirk Maltby
9. Steve Yzerman
10. Eric Brewer