OT: Canadian Tennis

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Leylah goes down 2-0 in the second set, and now up 3-2 after battling back to break Sabalenka in one game, and battling back to hold serve in the next. Girl's got some serious poise.

Reactions: Cloned

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Amazing match! Can't wait to see Fernandez in the finals! Crazy she beat #3, #2 and #5 on this road to the finals.

#150 ranked 18 year old currently leading the other semifinal.

Reactions: oilers'72

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I hear Raducanu has faced Leylah in juniors before and has beaten her. Both are Canadians too. I honestly don't know who to cheer for if they face each others in the finals. Both are so likeable

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Gonna be real for a sec here guys...

I'm bout' to OD on this sports high right now. Just wins all over the place for 2 straight weeks. Jays keep winning, Leylah keeps winning, Canadian soccer, Elks won last weekend...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Cheer for the one who didn't betray her country of birth :sarcasm:

(I'm KIDDING)
My wife is Filipino so I'm definitely cheering for Leylah. But also secretly cheering for Emma cause she looks exactly like this girl I had a huge crush on back in high school....like 20 years ago :laugh:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Fernandez definitely earned her spot in the finals with 3 top 5 opponents beaten.

Plus Kerber, a former world number 1 and 4 time major champion (including US Open). She's a little past her prime now, but still a difficult out.

Raducanu won last night as well in straight sets, so we've got a two teenager final with Raducanu-Fernandez. Raducanu is the first qualifier in the professional era to make it to a grand slam final, and she hasn't dropped a set the whole tournament. Fernanadez on the other hand has had to fight it out in 3-setters in every match going back to the 3rd round against Osaka.

So will Raducanu overwhelm Fernandez, or will Fernandez make life more difficult for Raducanu and wear her down? I'm betting on this match going to 3 sets and we'll see if Raducanu has the endurance and mental fortitude to overcome Leylah who just won't go away against her opponents, finds a way to make her breaks when she needs them and is happy to take advantage of her opponents' mistakes.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Plus Kerber, a former world number 1 and 4 time major champion (including US Open). She's a little past her prime now, but still a difficult out.

Raducanu won last night as well in straight sets, so we've got a two teenager final with Raducanu-Fernandez. Raducanu is the first qualifier in the professional era to make it to a grand slam final, and she hasn't dropped a set the whole tournament. Fernanadez on the other hand has had to fight it out in 3-setters in every match going back to the 3rd round against Osaka.

So will Raducanu overwhelm Fernandez, or will Fernandez make life more difficult for Raducanu and wear her down? I'm betting on this match going to 3 sets and we'll see if Raducanu has the endurance and mental fortitude to overcome Leylah who just won't go away against her opponents, finds a way to make her breaks when she needs them and is happy to take advantage of her opponents' mistakes.
I understand this was awhile ago but Emma has beaten Leylah 6-2, 6-1 when they were 15.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Aside from it being a great underdog story as others have mentioned it isn't that. Here we have 2 teenagers in the final of the US open. Meaning that they beat, and were better than everybody else older than them.

Thats a big story for the two involved. Its a bit of an indictment for anybody else that is ranked and played in this tournament.

This is who Fernandez beat leading up to this;

This was the left-handed Fernandez’s fourth consecutive three-set victory over a seeded opponent. First came No. 3 Naomi Osaka, the 2018 and 2020 U.S. Open champion. Then came No. 16 Angelique Kerber, the 2016 champ. That was followed by No. 5 Elina Svitolina and Sabalenka.

Also, the two players were highly touted and Fernandez has been touted since around 2017 as a potential next thing. Is she really that much of a longshot? In a years time she'll be a favorite. Not sure how she wasn't ranked higher even before the tournament. Still, she was #73 in world and will be top twenty when this one is done.

Its like saying a young Wayne Gretzky isn't a favorite to win an Art Ross just because of his age.

The two teens deserve all the credit for reaching the final, they wanted it more. But it doesn't say much for the WTA competition that they got through all top ranked competitors. At some point that seems less an upset, and more that the players were playing better than all the top opponents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad