Canadian teams could play playoff games in US cities.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I love how the Leafs are planning for the ECF not even half way into the season. Their city is going to riot when their annual playoff choke job happens.

Just to nitpick, there are no conferences and conference finals this year. The final four teams which come out of the division playoffs will be seeded 1-4 based on regular season points. And then it's 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 with the winners meeting in the finals. So, any division winner could end up facing any of the other division winners in the semis.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Just to nitpick, there are no conferences and conference finals this year. The final four teams which come out of the division playoffs will be seeded 1-4 based on regular season points. And then it's 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 with the winners meeting in the finals. So, any division winner could end up facing any of the other division winners in the semis.

This literally changes nothing of what my argument was. Just a poor attempt at arguing semantics.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Should just let the North Division winner play all the games in their series in the American team's barn and avoid the extra travel.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
This literally changes nothing of what my argument was. Just a poor attempt at arguing semantics.

Fair enough. But there are people out there who are still confused about who's playing who in the semi-finals. And so, my purpose was merely to point out that the traditional conferences and their finals don't exist this year.

My response was not meant as any kind of a comment on the opinion expressed in your post, just a minor nit-picky fact check.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I love how the Leafs are planning for the ECF not even half way into the season. Their city is going to riot when their annual playoff choke job happens.

This is the NHL making contingency plans in case the Canadian gov does not change it's 14 day quarantine rules. This has nothing to do with the Leafs fans or the Leaf organization. BTW if your going to attack the Leafs how about getting your facts straight and come up with original material.
Just saying.

If the Jets make it to the conference final they may play in Minneapolis. This makes me wonder is if the Wild also make it to the conference final do the Jets and Wild play the entire series in Minny?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Fair enough. But there are people out there who are still confused about who's playing who in the semi-finals. And so, my purpose was merely to point out that the traditional conferences and their finals don't exist this year.

My response was not meant as any kind of a comment on the opinion expressed in your post, just a minor nit-picky fact check.

They changed the thread title. When I made my first post, it was a Leaf’s fan talking about where the Leafs would play in the ECF as if it was forgone conclusion when I made it.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Lebrun also reported that the Jets would play in Minnesota if they won the division, and that all the other playoffs teams would be matched with an American NHL city in case they win the Canadian division and need to play against an American team. This isn't some overconfident move by the Leafs, it is the NHL planning in case American teams are not allowed to travel into Canada during the playoffs.
Screws facts. We hate the Leafs round these here parts.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Good question. Maybe they are planning sooner than the rest so they have time to iron everything out. Maybe it’s because it’s the Leafs and Buffalo are working on this sooner as one is first in division and the other isn’t and geography wise it makes sense. Maybe the other Canadian teams are doing the same but it hasn’t leaked or it’s not going to gain as much attention.

I'm guessing Montreal would also play in Buffalo in the event they're the one going forward. And Ottawa too, I suppose, but those are big IF though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Glad they edited the title. Why a leaf fan would open the door saying "the leafs could play in Buffalo" and somehow being shocked other fan bases could be slightly annoyed?

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
Your very short post history consisting mainly of shitting on the Leafs determined, that was a lie.

And have never been even close to dead last since :)
You're confusing skepticism about delusional fans with "shitting on the Leafs", sorry if I hurt your delicate sensibilities.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Even though it would be temporary, Im sure Buffalo residents would be excited to see an NHL hockey team in their city

Buffalo gets to see disappointment during the regular season, they don't need to see what playoff disappointment looks like. No one is that sadistic.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
According to Lebrun there is an idea being floated around that would see the Leafs play at least some of their playoff games in Buffalo.

This would require the Canadian government loosen restrictions on the 14 day qurantine currently in place.

Why would the leafs want to play in Buffalo? Unless they make it to round 3 of the playoffs, why is this even something to consider?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why would the leafs want to play in Buffalo? Unless they make it to round 3 of the playoffs, why is this even something to consider?

I'm guessing it's in case the Canadian border doesn't open up? If they don't then not only the leafs have to find a place to play in the playoffs, any team in Canada has to find a place to play their games in the US. They will have it figured out by then I would think.

Steve776

Feb 8, 2021
Because you need to quarantine for several days after crossing the border, so it's not really feasible to have a cross border playoff series ATM. There's going to be a Canadian team in the final four no matter what, so of course they're making plans.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm guessing it's in case the Canadian border doesn't open up? If they don't then not only the leafs have to find a place to play in the playoffs, any team in Canada has to find a place to play their games in the US. They will have it figured out by then I would think.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I guess the original post was incomplete. It talked about Canadian teams playing games in the US but only mentioned Toronto.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Because you need to quarantine for several days after crossing the border, so it's not really feasible to have a cross border playoff series ATM. There's going to be a Canadian team in the final four no matter what, so of course they're making plans.

Yeah, that's all fine and dandy. Like I said before, it makes sense if it's done in third round and later.

I may have misread the thread title as well, because it now mentions playoffs, and I didn't think it did before.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah, that makes sense.

I guess the original post was incomplete. It talked about Canadian teams playing games in the US but only mentioned Toronto.

Isn't there only Toronto in Canada? Oh wait that's the NBA forgot...

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Sorry. Disagree. This is a prime example of what Ghost said. Right now, it looks like only the leafs are making these plans for this and no one else in the Canadian division. Why is that? Hubris. It is something all teams and fan bases fall victim to, but with the Leafs? tens times worse. My guess is that right now you are googling Hubris to see what it means. Leaf fans should stay out of this thread until they grow thicker skins and understand how hubris has been the downfall of so many in history. You can insult people all you like, but by your tone and lack of grasp of why so many are jumping on this news: I suspect you fail basic English in the understanding of hubris, irony and basic English idioms. Which all 3 are covered by "cart before the horse". Leaf fans are getting full of themselves after the oiler wins but then over look getting the asses handed to them by the Canucks! OUCH

What do you care?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad