United States 1 Mexico 0 (AET0
(0-0 AFT)
concacaf gold cup - Google Search

tenor.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks @oilers'72 for giving us all these notifications.

But I'm starting to wonder why does TSN even exist? Thanks Snet for actually televising sports and dialing into this. TSN asleep at the wheel again?

Also of note TSN again screwing up and parking a primo sporting event, US-Canada on TSN 4 instead of their primary channel. Snet is showing this on their basic tier channel, good for them, and for viewers that don't have multiple tiers. TSN showing one game, and kicking it to the basement tier.

I can't wait to see what TSN has scheduled on Sunday that this game gets bumped to their 4th tier.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

But I'm starting to wonder why does TSN even exist? Thanks Snet for actually televising sports and dialing into this. TSN asleep at the wheel again?

Also of note TSN again screwing up and parking a primo sporting event, US-Canada on TSN 4 instead of their primary channel. Snet is showing this on their basic tier channel, good for them, and for viewers that don't have multiple tiers. TSN showing one game, and kicking it to the basement tier.

I can't wait to see what TSN has scheduled on Sunday that this game gets bumped to their 4th tier.
So you mean you're actually going to watch these games??? I thought you said this team was overrated and poorly coached. :sarcasm: ;)

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So you mean you're actually going to watch these games??? I thought you said this team was overrated and poorly coached. :sarcasm: ;)

They've graduated in my mind to be worth watching. Or I'm bloody jonesing for sports and with the Elks hoof disease its made it harder to have anything to watch.

jk aside the team sure has offensive verve, they sure do. Still wonder about the defending.

But yeah I'm watching. I could only watch hilites of the prior games because they are not televised. Now they are. yay.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

From what I understand SNet is getting the rights from OneSoccer, so no Sharman or Forrest. The reason TSN got that USA game is that US Soccer sold the TV rights to TSN. The reason TSN4 has the entire game is that TSN1 & 2 have the Winnipeg/Saskatchewan game and will join the Canada game in progress (2nd half).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't want to spoiler it for anybody that hasn't watched....

but

not a great game from Canada by any means. Lousy first half, go behind 1-0 and then have to work hard to climb back to salvage a tie. Lots of loose defending from Canada again. Saved a few times by thier goalie. One just a spectacular save getting a hand on a ball that could easily have been the winning Honduran goal.

Team continues to be sloppy. A tie at home, not such a good result. But better than what looked like the alternative.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I thought they had "first game" jitters in the first half and once they settled down it was much better. Much needed experience for them and I think they'll be better in the next game.

Reactions: oilers'72 and AM

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

It's Labor Day weekend, the Riders and Blue Bombers Labor Day Classic, of course!!!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I thought the football games were earlier as per usual. Thought the Soccer game was played after, in the evening.

I haven't even looked to be honest lol.

I don't subscribe to TSN anymore, but will have to in order to watch the CFL games now that the league is a few weeks in. I think they still do Sunday Night Baseball as well so I'm assuming other obligations the network is committed to is why SN got the gig. All SN is really showing is a few MLB games, poker and darts right now and I think some soccer.

I wish someone would negotiate a deal with the KHL to televise some games over here, but I don't want to derail the thread...just thinking out loud.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Don't want to spoiler it for anybody that hasn't watched....

but

not a great game from Canada by any means. Lousy first half, go behind 1-0 and then have to work hard to climb back to salvage a tie. Lots of loose defending from Canada again. Saved a few times by thier goalie. One just a spectacular save getting a hand on a ball that could easily have been the winning Honduran goal.

Team continues to be sloppy. A tie at home, not such a good result. But better than what looked like the alternative.

Agreed, I thought their defending was terrible. (as it has been anytime I watch this team to be honest). That being said, I thought they deserved better than a tie and Davies really is worth the price of admission, wow, what a player.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed, I thought their defending was terrible. (as it has been anytime I watch this team to be honest). That being said, I thought they deserved better than a tie and Davies really is worth the price of admission, wow, what a player.

I thought Canada had the run of play in 2nd half but due to how inept their defending is I thought Honduras had the better scoring chances. For instance 55th minute they got a close in shot but sailed over the cross bar. Could easily have scored. Then around 70th minute the goalie has to come out on a breakaway, and HEAD the ball away from danger because he had to come outside of box and couldn't touch it with hands. It was a spectacular play. Then the upright, again the goalie just getting enough of it that it hits post instead of net. It was a perfectly placed shot and would have been the winner.

The telecast is really homer, so one has to sort through that as they call the play as if Canada is all over the match. Canada had more offensive forays but they allowed dangerous chances against.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I thought Canada had the run of play in 2nd half but due to how inept their defending is I thought Honduras had the better scoring chances. For instance 55th minute they got a close in shot but sailed over the cross bar. Could easily have scored. Then around 70th minute the goalie has to come out on a breakaway, and HEAD the ball away from danger because he had to come outside of box and couldn't touch it with hands. It was a spectacular play. Then the upright, again the goalie just getting enough of it that it hits post instead of net. It was a perfectly placed shot and would have been the winner.

The telecast is really homer, so one has to sort through that as they call the play as if Canada is all over the match. Canada had more offensive forays but they allowed dangerous chances against.

Can't disagree at all. We held play, but weren't as dangerous. That was largely due to ineffective defending though, coupled with what I thought was very poor finish from our side.

Our defense is a pretty big problem, I thought this before last night and believe it more strongly now.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Didn't watch the game (wasn't listed on FreeStreams) plus the site had it shown on the 3rd (probably due to FIFA's site also showing a date of the 3rd when each individual game was on the 2nd when you open up the listings for that date).

But, at least Canada is in a 6 way tie for 2nd. 13 more games to go.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't watch the game (wasn't listed on FreeStreams) plus the site had it shown on the 3rd (probably due to FIFA's site also showing a date of the 3rd when each individual game was on the 2nd when you open up the listings for that date).

But, at least Canada is in a 6 way tie for 2nd. 13 more games to go.

I forget how many teams advance. Sorry for the questions but is there one more round of qualifying after this one. I forget how it goes. Still worried about getting a draw against Honduras and them scoring on us on the road. Canada needs to establish in their home dates. Concacaf road games are tough. Many of the players on this squad haven't had a full dose of playing games in Central America due to being young, and the pandemic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad