GDT: Canadian Soccer | Final Pre-WC Friendlies - Sept 23 @ 11 AM vs. Qatar

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Ouch, not good. Davies heading back to Bayern for an MRI.

Not sure how much Bayern are going to like Davies playing in all of the dirty Concacaf qualifiers either. They've been pretty good sports about this and Davies is getting injured a lot. This is the worst news.

News out of Germany now saying that it was just a "knock / bump"and he isn't expected to miss any time. Davies is expected to start in Bayern's game vs Leipzig on Saturday.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What I don't understand is the crowd booing at the end of the game. Were they booing the officials, the US team for not winning, the Canadians?
They were specifically booing anytime Canada had the ball and might be delaying and spefically booed when Davies went down and couldn't get up. Class all day by the US fans where nothing and nobody matters except US winning. The same type of people boo'ed Wayne Gretzky.

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
They were booing every single time Borjan the goalkeeper had the ball. Then there was that obnoxious "USA! USA!" chant when there was a short scuffle in the first half.

Anyways, Davies is not playing against El Salvador so it looks like Canada has its work cut out for them. Hopefully guys like Buchanan can pick up the slack, just like in the Gold Cup.

Reactions: oilers'72 and AM

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They were booing every single time Borjan the goalkeeper had the ball. Then there was that obnoxious "USA! USA!" chant when there was a short scuffle in the first half.

Anyways, Davies is not playing against El Salvador so it looks like Canada has its work cut out for them. Hopefully guys like Buchanan can pick up the slack, just like in the Gold Cup.
I’d say there was a good chance Davies wouldn’t be playing tonight anyway even if he was fully healthy. 3 games in a week would be a lot for someone who runs as much as he does on the pitch.

Reactions: oilers'72 and dsi

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Just Canada's soccer demons coming into play again... win over EL and they are in the drivers seat for 3rd. What happens in this must win, no Davies.

Reactions: dsi

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I’d say there was a good chance Davies wouldn’t be playing tonight anyway even if he was fully healthy. 3 games in a week would be a lot for someone who runs as much as he does on the pitch.

Id roll him out there to cherry pick.

GO AHEAD dont mark him.
(I hope they are doing some gamesmanship)

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The ref needs to find a red card for that submarine on Buchanan. Or allow Johnson to take care of it.

It was mentioned that there's no VAR in Toronto (then the PBP guy said the ref might check VAR). Why Toronto doesn't have it is beyond me. Perhaps CONCACAF won't allow it or Soccer Canada can't afford it.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
BTW, the announcing is quite amateurish. Unfortunately, Paramount+ doesn't have the game streaming elsewhere. I'd take a neutral commentary over a bad one.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It was mentioned that there's no VAR in Toronto (then the PBP guy said the ref might check VAR). Why Toronto doesn't have it is beyond me. Perhaps CONCACAF won't allow it or Soccer Canada can't afford it.
Some facilities in Central America don’t have it so no one else can have it.

Reactions: oilers'72

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
As someone who doesn't follow soccer that close.

What position in their group does Canada need to play to make the world cup.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
As someone who doesn't follow soccer that close.

What position in their group does Canada need to play to make the world cup.

Top 3 teams make it straight to World Cup. Fourth goes to a playoff with another soccer confederation for a spot. With Mexico always locking down a spot there are two more up for grabs. The US isn’t the powerhouse they used to be so can’t pencil them in a spot like before.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Top 3 to auto qualify 4th to be in a "second chance" qualifier pretty sure

Top 3. 4th place plays a "playoff" against a team from the Asian qualifiers I believe.

Top 3 teams make it straight to World Cup. Fourth goes to a playoff with another soccer confederation for a spot. With Mexico always locking down a spot there are two more up for grabs. The US isn’t the powerhouse they used to be so can’t pencil them in a spot like before.

Thanks for the info.

The fans at this game looked electric.

Reactions: lopper

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Honduras and Panama are doing well this year it seems. Might come down to Mexico/Canada/Honduras/Panama for the top 4

Reactions: lopper

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
Honduras and Panama are doing well this year it seems. Might come down to Mexico/Canada/Honduras/Panama for the top 4

Going to be a battle, especially the away games in those cities. Fun times for actually having a team Canada that has a chance to qualify.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad