Canadian Soccer Part VI; O CANADA O BABY

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is it better or worse to have a bit of unsustainable optimism or a lot of overweaning pessimism?

My mindset coming out of this draw is this: there are eight or nine teams in the WC that would beat Canada at their best 9 times out of 10 (and the tenth would be a scoreless draw). That's probably all of pot 1 (except Qatar) and a couple from pot 2 (especially Germany. There's another four or five that probably beat Canada 7 out of 10, with Canada sneaking out a couple of wins in the other three. As for the rest, Canada is likely the underdog against most of them, but there are a lot of circumstances under which Canada wins even if, again, the majority of those 10 games result in a loss. Croatia and Morocco certainly fit in that latter group.

This Canada side is a good and ambitious group, with a bunch of young players with the capacity to punch a hole in the opposition. They've shown it in the games against the US and Mexico, both in their home wins and their road draws. This is augmented by a very disciplined style (in general), which has not left itself exposed to a lot of chances, even when (again, against Mexico and US particularly) there was a significant disparity in possession.

Moreover, this Canada team has shown how adaptable they are. They'll play physical when they need to. They'll play patient when they need to. They don't park the bus (like Canada teams have done for generations, believe me) but facing technically superior opponents (I've often conceded that the US and Mexico have technically better players) they've played smart, defensive football.

Again, I don't doubt that Canada will be underdogs, but irrespective of that, I expect them to challenge for a R16 spot. Tournament sports are like that. The best group of players is not always the best team, and especially in the World Cup, neither the best group of players nor the best team wins. So many variables are at play. I think - again, based more on the quality of their play through the Ocho moreso than judging the relative quality of the lineups - it's overly pessimistic to call them 'clear fourth' in the group.

So yeah, I reject the we-suck arguments. I understand and tend to just smile at the giddy enthusiasm of Canada fans who have been waiting for this for decades; if folks are a bit excited, who can blame them. And I think teams that underestimate Canada in November might get a rude awakening.

I hope everyone takes the time to read this post.

Theres really nothing else to stay.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Morocco is a better squad than Canada and they have an elite goaltender. I hope Canada goes through but they got a tough draw.

Mexico and the US have better squads than Canada and we saw what happened. No importance, we are so strong mentally that it will take a superteam to break Canada down, hence why I said I really think only France and Brazil can humble Canada.

tbh I am not a Morocco expert but aside from Hakimi, who is elite? Hakimi will go 1v1 against Davies luckily, I know their goalie was born in Montreal so may be extra motivated but Borjan is no lightweight neither. And their striker misses sitters after sitters for Sevilla, weak mentally with no composure, Iceman is much better. Anything can happen but I am not worried for Morocco. At All.

I have no idea where this comes from re: Belgium. Sure they haven't won a tournament yet, but they don't crash out in the early rounds either. They have a record of 11 wins and 1 loss (the only loss 2-0 to Italy in the 2016 Euros) over the last 8 years in group stages at the WC/Euros (so 4-0 in the R16, but 1-3 in the QF and 0-1 in the SF). They've never failed to make the QF's in those tournaments. A repeat of their previous tournament performances certainly won't help Canada.

You may be right, but I think it comes from the idea that Belgium had such a super team they had to win at least ONE tournament but never managed to make a single final. Its the same squad from 2016-18 but they are for the most part way past their prime. Much more optimism than if we had to face them in 2018 with todays squad.

Hazard and Lukaku are not playing anymore, both need to find new clubs.

I remember even in their prime, Belgium was playing Vertonghen an excellent CB in his heydays, Alderwerild even Ciman, 2 other pure CBs at LB/RB. They have no fullbacks exactly where our strenght is, Meunier can not defend, is slow and older now, Davies/Laryea each excellent dribbles will both have fun.

Belgium is done. They will succumb to the pressure earlier this time. Bookmark this post.

Americans can't beat us. Yet they seem awfully confident against a world cup semi finalist and euro runner up lol.

Maybe we ARE selling ourselves short.

This. I wish we get off that mindset. Canada proved themselves 14 very hard games in different setup everytime.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Concacaf Nations League draw is tomorrow. 4 games to be played in June. 2 in March.

Pot 1: Mexico, United States, Canada, Costa Rica
Pot 2: Panama, Jamaica, El Salvador, Honduras
Pot 3: Martinique, Curaçao, Suriname, Grenada

I seriously, seriously hope we do NOT call up Larin, Eustaquio, Atiba, Borjan and the other European based established players but give a serious chance to more unproven guys who can make the final squad like ZBG, Raheem Edwards, Kone, Ukbo, JMR, Waterman, macnaughton. We may be surprised.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
tbh I am not a Morocco expert but aside from Hakimi, who is elite? Hakimi will go 1v1 against Davies luckily, I know their goalie was born in Montreal so may be extra motivated but Borjan is no lightweight neither. And their striker misses sitters after sitters for Sevilla, weak mentally with no composure, Iceman is much better. Anything can happen but I am not worried for Morocco. At All.
En-Nesyri would be the next player in the elite discussion although he has a run of bad form this season. Last year though, clinical finisher in La Liga.

Other than that there is nothing that is really elite but there are a lot of solid players, playing in good leagues. Boufal, Mazraoui, Malcuit, Saiss, El Haddadi, Malcuit, etc. Also, have some younger players coming up that are solid.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What I find intriguing about Canada is that in European football, there is a tendency to pull a Greece when playing a better opponent, park the bus and hope for a break.

If Croatia or Belgium are expecting that, they may be surprised.

I can see Canada losing big or squeaking out a surprise win against the big dogs in the group as a result.

I remember when Chelsea started to flag in past seasons, weaker sides stopped being deferential to their possession and pressuring them - something they weren’t expecting or used to.

I’d much rather go down in flames trying to score than sit on our heels, particularly if we are facing an older back line.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What I find intriguing about Canada is that in European football, there is a tendency to pull a Greece when playing a better opponent, park the bus and hope for a break.

I can see Canada losing big or squeaking out a surprise win against the big dogs in the group as a result.

I remember when Chelsea started to flag in past seasons, weaker sides stopped being deferential to their possession and pressuring them - something they weren’t expecting or used to.

I’d much rather go down in flames trying to score than sit on our heels, particularly if we are facing an older back line.
It really depends. With Belgium i would likely play more of a counter attacking system. Roberto Martinez plays a heavy possession game and has his CB's come pretty high up the pitch to provide more passing option. The thing is their team is ageing and slowing down as a result. They will be susceptible to a counter from Davies-David-Buchanon .

Reactions: PanniniClaus

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It really depends. With Belgium i would likely play more of a counter attacking system. Roberto Martinez plays a heavy possession game and has his CB's come pretty high up the pitch to provide more passing option. The thing is their team is ageing and slowing down as a result. They will be susceptible to a counter from Davies-David-Buchanon .

Our speed on the counter could hopefully result in a goal or two.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Our speed on the counter could hopefully result in a goal or two.
I do see us playing more like the Hamilton USA game against Belgium and Croatia, where we concede possession, keep the shape, wait for them to come in numbers and run them down on the counter attack. However, this is Belgium, not the US, so like you said, we also open ourselves up to go down in flames. Should be fun, regardless.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I do see us playing more like the Hamilton USA game against Belgium and Croatia, where we concede possession, keep the shape, wait for them to come in numbers and run them down on the counter attack. However, this is Belgium, not the US, so like you said, we also open ourselves up to go down in flames. Should be fun, regardless.

I hope no one is misconstruing my excitement for confidence.

It's still Belgium and Croatia (and Morocco for that matter).

Reactions: al secord

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

First of all, I think that is somewhat of a swooping generalization.

That surely depends on the team - I mean, Sweden for example, that is just how they play. Even against teams they compare too - And it's not that they park the bus, they just play a very d first kinda game, and live of counters.

But Denmark, Czechia, Wales(Among others), they don't really bunker down, when they face better opposition.

Also, I am not sure we can say Canada doesn't, as we haven't really faced much stronger opponents yet.
It would be interesting to see us against a good South American or Euro side, to see how we fare against a better side, with 11 good players - And facing a team that will definitely punish us if we are too offensive, I don't think we wont try to hunker down a little bit.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The comparison to Greece is a little old-school, not too many teams going into tournaments with that level of parking the bus.

In other news 6 CPL prospects were named to the U-20 squad. League continues to do its job:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

That surely depends on the team - I mean, Sweden for example, that is just how they play. Even against teams they compare too - And it's not that they park the bus, they just play a very d first kinda game, and live of counters.

But Denmark, Czechia, Wales(Among others), they don't really bunker down, when they face better opposition.

Sorry, I was referring more to the minnows that are typically at the level of a Pool D squad.

I mean, Denmark is ranked 11th in the world, I hope they don't park the bus.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
En-Nesyri would be the next player in the elite discussion although he has a run of bad form this season. Last year though, clinical finisher in La Liga.

Other than that there is nothing that is really elite but there are a lot of solid players, playing in good leagues. Boufal, Mazraoui, Malcuit, Saiss, El Haddadi, Malcuit, etc. Also, have some younger players coming up that are solid.
I don't know anything about Morocco,

but Morocco's in trouble

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

Also, I am not sure we can say Canada doesn't, as we haven't really faced much stronger opponents yet.
It would be interesting to see us against a good South American or Euro side, to see how we fare against a better side, with 11 good players - And facing a team that will definitely punish us if we are too offensive, I don't think we wont try to hunker down a little bit.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but you seem to be underestimating the Danes here .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad