Canadian Soccer Part IIII: WCQ Edition

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The problem is that the CSA literally has no money. They'll need either additional government funding or private funding to make it work.

Hopefully Herdman planted that in Trudeau's ear when he was at training on Monday.

I think its just a matter of time before the private companies jump on board. Sportsnet got monster ratings for these Edmonton games, and if they are still snoozing, it will be hitting them right in the face if the team qualifies for 2022.

Just curious though, if the csa has no money, how are they footing the bill for getting all these players in and out of Europe for each window? I assume it's their obligation to pay the bill.

I would prioritize scrounging up some money to keep the players happy by keeping the grass alive at BMO as long it's not some obscene cost. The private money is coming eventually if they keep this up.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I think its just a matter of time before the private companies jump on board. Sportsnet got monster ratings for these Edmonton games, and if they are still snoozing, it will be hitting them right in the face if the team qualifies for 2022.

Just curious though, if the csa has no money, how are they footing the bill for getting all these players in and out of Europe for each window? I assume it's their obligation to pay the bill.

I would prioritize scrounging up some money to keep the players happy by keeping the grass alive at BMO as long it's not some obscene cost. The private money is coming eventually if they keep this up.

I mean that they have just enough money to keep operating. Their budget (reportedly) is $4M, which is laughably low for a national sporting team. They have started to spend money on smarter things for the senior team (chartering flights etc) but that has come at a cost (no camps for any male youth teams since pre-covid etc). Spending half a million or a million dollars to keep grass alive is not feasible.

Their best hope is TFC wins Sunday since then BMO will be needed in mid-Feb for CCL anyways so MLSE may foot the bill.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Keeping him off the pitch to start against Mexico was fairly controversial so to see Larin score a brace now makes Herdman look like a genius.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Keeping him off the pitch to start against Mexico was fairly controversial so to see Larin score a brace now makes Herdman look like a genius.
It didn't hear much about it being controversial but perhaps it was. I figured Herdman was just getting the most out of his depth ...and as you say, it turned out well.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

To be fair to Herdman, Larin has been every bit as good if not better for Canada. I was more surprised that Johnston didn't start vs Costa Rica tbh, though that worked out well too. I think it speaks more to where this program is at this moment. There's enough depth where the starting XI can change just based on the game plan and opposition and still get results.

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
So, the 4th place CONCACAF finsiher will have to play the OFC winner... maybe. OFC have not even started their qualificaion yet.

Regardless, the neutral site game will be held Jun 13 or 14, 2022.

Imo, this all but confirms there will be 4 CONCACAF teams at Qatar 2022; but that is why they play the game. Great news to avoid CONMEBOL.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
If Chris Wood misses that match, it will be a walk over. New Zealand current squad apparently hasn't anyone else with more than 1 goal for the national team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad