OT: Canadian Premier League Soccer thread

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Man who cares about not being the best quality. Do lesser euro nations care their league isnt as good as the epl, or spanish or german leagues? No.

This is a league for canada, not for anyone else.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Not sure how I feel about this - nice to see if Winnipeg gets a team, but even MLS is still lower tier than Euro leagues and trying to establish itself - anything Canadian is bound to be pretty bad in comparison unfortunately. Add to this the fact that MLS already includes 3 Canadian cities.
We'll see :popcorn:

I'm not a soccer fan so not one to comment but I also don't see this doing well. That being said MLS has absolutely taken off and is doing fantastic. I doubt they even expected it to be doing as well as it is.

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
Not really a soccer fan by any stretch. That being said, i'd probably check out a game or two, more so for my kids. Soccer is growing in Canada, big time. When i was growing up they could barely scrape together enough teams out of one community centre to keep the league going. Now my son plays out of the same community centre and there are over 200 kids just in his age group. 25 teams now, where as 25 years ago they couldnt acrape together a handful.

Edit. I guess what I say has little bearing on the league itself. Just want to point out that the game is growing, and this shoukd be good for further development of Canada's soccer program as a whole.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I just hope this can lead to further development of Canadian talent at the professional level and get better at the World stage.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I'll definitely go watch some of this. If Winnipeg can build a solid niche group of core fans like the Goldeyes have done, there's no reason why it can't be enjoyable to watch. Baseball IS a little different than soccer though, as the disparity in play between Indy ball and the MLB isn't as obvious during the game as Soccer is. Even the obvious differences between Premier League soccer and MLS is obvious to anyone who's watched much of either.

That being said, the MLS is getting better lately and while it's still a different product it's now officially entertaining.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I guess it's a bit mixed up because soccer pyramids are national structures and the MLS is technically a US league but with 3 Canadian teams. So MLS it US Tier I. CPL will be Canadian Tier I. But the quality won't be the same. Something like the Scottish Premiership compared to the English Premier League maybe?

The idea is for Canada to have a pro league where Canadians can play and develop - hopefully one day building a competitive international squad.

Hopefully Edmonton's NASL team joins, and Ottawa's USL team (the Ottawa Fury). We should definitely call the Winnipeg team the Fury to reestablish the proud tradition of Ottawa having the same name as another team on the prairies in a small Canadian football league... :sarcasm:

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
If they get a TV contract it will succeed, if they don't it will fail.
There are comparisons being made to the Goldeyes but baseball teams play a lot more games in which to recover the player salaries and the team operating cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad