OT: Canadian Premier League Soccer thread

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Now the bad news. Sounds like it will be run by the Bombers. And what's with this "Manitoba-based" nonsense? Are they seriously thinking of locating the team outside of Winnipeg?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canada-soccer-steve-reed-canadian-premier-league-1.4103377

No, that would be dumb. I think they are just trying to make the whole province feel like they are part of the new club.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-pro-soccer-team-1.4103688

"The team would play out of Investors Group Field and Miller said he expects the new league to be lucrative."

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Now the bad news. Sounds like it will be run by the Bombers. And what's with this "Manitoba-based" nonsense? Are they seriously thinking of locating the team outside of Winnipeg?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canada-soccer-steve-reed-canadian-premier-league-1.4103377

The Bombers are actually fantastic over the past 4-5 years at fan engagement, listening to their fanbase, creating great experiences. Will they be able to hire the right people to create a winning team is impossible to speculate at, but from the business side there's no one better to run it. While TNSE has been consistently downgrading their experience while raising prices, the Bombers have been the complete opposite. When your trying to grow a sport with a small natural fanbase you need the Bombers approach, not the Jets.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
So this soccer league would be to MLS like CFL is to NFL?

And the players are Canadians only, only Canadian cities only?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

From what I've read, only Canadian cities and there would be a required quota of Canadian players. The CFL/NFL comparison isn't valid because those leagues have different rules. As for a simple comparison of quality of player, I expect the disparity would be even greater. I do not expect this to be high quality football, especially if the rumour of requiring 75% of the players be Canadian turns out to be true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Premier_League

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
OT: Canadian Premier League Soccer thread

I think the league and our team deserve a thread of its own, even if it is still very early. If the mods agree, I would ask them to move over all the posts from the Lounge thread and add this thread to the stickied quick links. Thanks.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm having trouble seeing this league getting off the ground. Problem is MLS - with the Whitecaps, Toronto FC, and Impact having taken up the country's biggest markets.

So the CPL is proposing to start in six markets - Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Hamilton and Halifax. But they're going to struggle to get any national media attention because they're not in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. Also there's a twist that nobody told the very-much existing FC Edmonton (in the 2nd tier NASL) about this plan.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Well not really. Differences. There are Canadian teams in the MLS. And there's already a second tier North American soccer league with teams in Edmonton and Ottawa. And we'll the biggest difference of course is the NFL is the best grid iron football league in the world while the MLS itself is already a second tier league.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Well not really. Differences. There are Canadian teams in the MLS. And there's already a second tier North American soccer league with teams in Edmonton and Ottawa. And we'll the biggest difference of course is the NFL is the best grid iron football league in the world while the MLS itself is already a second tier league.

So would this Premier league fit in comparably to Goldeyes league in terms of quality of pay and stature relative to other North American leagues?

I don't know, I might catch a game, but I find soccer too slow.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
So would this Premier league fit in comparably to Goldeyes league in terms of quality of pay and stature relative to other North American leagues?

At this stage, that's just a big unknown. We'll have to see what they come up with in terms of salary cap, and roster requirements. And while I understand the Bombers wanting to make use of IGF, this league should play in smaller venues. I don't expect crowds of more than a few thousand, to be honest. That number of people just looks depressing in a big stadium. They would be better off converting University Stadium into a proper soccer facility.

As for the game being slow, I think the more you watch it (at a high level of play like the English Premier League), the more you come to appreciate the subtleties of the "beautiful game". I just wish they would get rid of all the diving and histrionics.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Winnipeg Fury or die trying

I think they should resurrect that name, if only so we can argue about which incarnation had the better uniform. Be pretty hard to improve on this timeless classic, though. :laugh:

IMG_1077-800.jpg

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
Couldn't they have announced this sooner? Looks like Transfer Window just closed. Will have to wait a few months before buying Lionel Messi.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice

Hey. Some games there might even be a shot or two on net! Can't miss the excitement!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Million dollar question right now. My guess is they will want to be a second tier calibre league (second tier in north America). Currently the MLS is the top tier league in the US / Canada. But the salary within the league has huge disparity. They have designated players which are often times big name European based players who are on the tail end of their career. They can make several million a year. I believe kaka is the highest right now making over $7m. But on the low end players can make $50k. Average in the $300k.

There are two second tier leagues in north America. The NASL and USL. Their salaries aren't published but they're likely making on average $40 - 60k. USL has some development teams for the MLS (think AHL). Like TFC2.

So if you're looking solely at North America I assume they want to be positioned better than the Goldeyes (Which I believe is like AA equivalent level?).

But if you're looking at the grand scheme of things with the sport in general, then its a different story cause MLS isn't a top tier league. English, Spanish, Italian, German top leagues are clearly superior. I'd argue the top teams in secondary European leagues (Portugal, France, Russia) are probably superior than teams in the MLS, and maybe they'd survive mid pack in those leagues.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Either way, more selection is good.

With goldeyes, Bombers and now Fury*, it would be hard for all three summer teams to suck at once, right?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Not sure how I feel about this - nice to see if Winnipeg gets a team, but even MLS is still lower tier than Euro leagues and trying to establish itself - anything Canadian is bound to be pretty bad in comparison unfortunately. Add to this the fact that MLS already includes 3 Canadian cities.
We'll see :popcorn:

Joester

Apr 18, 2017
I think it's supposed to be a1st tier NA league. I can't see Canada being able to come close to anything that the MLS can provide. Any good players in the Canadian league will be picked up by MLS. This will be a great benefit to professional soccer players from Canada and will be a huge benefit to the National team in the future.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'm having trouble seeing this league getting off the ground. Problem is MLS - with the Whitecaps, Toronto FC, and Impact having taken up the country's biggest markets.

So the CPL is proposing to start in six markets - Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Hamilton and Halifax. But they're going to struggle to get any national media attention because they're not in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. Also there's a twist that nobody told the very-much existing FC Edmonton (in the 2nd tier NASL) about this plan.

National media: betting they will be picked up by tsn.

Fc edmonton will go to the Canpl just for travel simplicity. Now hat this league is active, there is no hope for closer travel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad