canadian junior A vs usa junior A talent wise

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
where do the BCHL AJHL and CCHL compare to the junior a leagues in the united states, (USHL, NAHL, EJHL,)

USHL is strongest then the three Canadian leagues (BCHL, AJHL & CCHL) are all similiar and stronger than the NAHL, EJHL is weakest of those mentioned.

MrWilson*

Just because its national does not mean its better.

The USHL should be renamed "the midwest hockey league'. That's basically what it is. They tout themselves as a Tier 1 league, but it's really not much different than some of the other leagues mentioned here. The NAHL is a bigger league that attracts a lot of talent because it has teams everywhere and has a good feeder system. It's also generally an older league in terms of its players and slightly more diluted than the USHL. Both put a lot of kids into the NCAA ranks. The EJHL does also but the east coast of the US is a different animal. Junior hockey competes in a big way with NCAA hockey there in terms of viewing audience and the Prep schools also have a very big impact on where kids play and how they get toe the NCAA.

It's tough to compare all of these leagues. All have great teams and really lousy teams. The BCHL has generally placed more kids into the NCAA than the others in Canada, but the CCHL is a heavily scouted league because of its location in the northeast and proximity to a LOT of D1 schools. Frankly, the OJHL has gotten much better over the last few years because of its contraction and the fact that it grabs up a lot of OHL draftees that don't go the major junior route.

Be nice to see some interleague play for sure. Maybe a handful of games each year with different teams? Then you'd have a little bit more data.

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Which League is Better

I know that the USHL sent a team to Russia to participate in the World Junior Challenge Cup (I think that was the name of tournament). The Sudbury Wolves defeated to USHL team in the finals (it was a club team from the USHL not an all star team). All that to day that the USHL must be a decent league.....I would say in between the CHL and Junior A level in Canada. What I wonder about is how do they avoid the label of being a "pro" league like the CHL. I understand they have similar recruiting and retention techniques.

hockeytown12

May 2, 2012
I know that the USHL sent a team to Russia to participate in the World Junior Challenge Cup (I think that was the name of tournament). The Sudbury Wolves defeated to USHL team in the finals (it was a club team from the USHL not an all star team). All that to day that the USHL must be a decent league.....I would say in between the CHL and Junior A level in Canada. What I wonder about is how do they avoid the label of being a "pro" league like the CHL. I understand they have similar recruiting and retention techniques.

they maintain amateur status because they don't get paid to play. basically the USHL is run like a pro league, that is why it is so desirable for players (mostly americans) to go there, still being able to maintain NCAA eligibility, while getting the treatment like CHL. Most canadians don't care much for NCAA, they figure to play in the CHL, gives you a better pro scouting, and when they don't make it they are content playing in Canada (their home country) a few hours away from home playing CIS.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
In Canada there's also the Manitoba Jr A Hockey League and the Maritime Jr A Hockey League. They may not be as strong as the three already mentioned, but they still play for the same Championship at the end of the season. The Maritime team was runner up last season. The big advantage with Jr A in Canada (not Maj. Jr) is it's free to play for the players. They keep their NCAA options open. There's also some other Jr A Leagues in Canada. It's a shame that in the US, unless you play in the USHL (free) NAHL (Player pays Billeting) your stuck with a pretty sizable bill to play. Unless your in the EJHL or a top team in the Atlantic Junior Hockey League your paying a lot for a very small chance at any college deal. The talent level drops way off after those 4 US Leagues too. For a while N.E. area coaches were sending their recruits to play in Canada if they couldn't get them on a roster in the USHL.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The USHL is the United States best junior league by far. How many first and second round NHL picks come out of the NAHL and ECHL? The USHL is just below the Canadian Hockey League, some USHL teams would beat the mediocre OHL teams. Just look at the World Junior Club Cup this past year. I watched that game online and the Waterloo Blackhawks were neck and neck with the Sudbury Wolves of the OHL. Josh Leivo scored late in the third to win 2-0. The United States is on par with just about anybody out there. Although the Canadian Hockey League is still and will be the best Junior league as a whole. USHL is right behind it though. All other leagues are not in the same category. although they may produce a good player here and there.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
The USHL should be renamed "the midwest hockey league'. That's basically what it is. They tout themselves as a Tier 1 league, but it's really not much different than some of the other leagues mentioned here. The NAHL is a bigger league that attracts a lot of talent because it has teams everywhere and has a good feeder system. It's also generally an older league in terms of its players and slightly more diluted than the USHL. Both put a lot of kids into the NCAA ranks. The EJHL does also but the east coast of the US is a different animal. Junior hockey competes in a big way with NCAA hockey there in terms of viewing audience and the Prep schools also have a very big impact on where kids play and how they get toe the NCAA.

It's tough to compare all of these leagues. All have great teams and really lousy teams. The BCHL has generally placed more kids into the NCAA than the others in Canada, but the CCHL is a heavily scouted league because of its location in the northeast and proximity to a LOT of D1 schools. Frankly, the OJHL has gotten much better over the last few years because of its contraction and the fact that it grabs up a lot of OHL draftees that don't go the major junior route.

Be nice to see some interleague play for sure. Maybe a handful of games each year with different teams? Then you'd have a little bit more data.

It is a common misperceptions that the Bchl "places" more players in the baca than the ajhl. If you look at rosters on websites of teams in both leagues, sure the bchl teams have more committed players but many are Americans and come from American leagues like the nahl or ushl and have already earned their scholarships there. In reality the numbers of scholarships received would be much closer if you look at the players who actually committed while playing in the bchl or other cjhl league

Cadesdad

Apr 23, 2015
I have heard that the USHL is really to be considered more of a Major Junior league,like the CHL, than it is junior a.

GhostofS16*

I have heard that the USHL is really to be considered more of a Major Junior league,like the CHL, than it is junior a.

From the eye test, the past couple of seasons it has looked as strong as the Q. They definitely play the game at a major junior pace. Others mileage will vary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad