Canadian Captain Barrett Hayton didn't remove his helmet for the Russian anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
lol I'm not one to say we're getting to soft, but it is funny to see some of the "society is to soft" people from other controversy threads, getting quite hot and bothered because a 19 year old didn't take off his helmet for the whiddle ceremony.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
That’s bull****. He’s been playing hockey his entire life. Taking off your hat or helmet for the anthem is something you learn from day 1. This isn’t a “mistake”, especially not one a captain of a team should be making.
Exactly. As soon as you step on the ice with the opposing team, you are all equals battling for the win. When the final whistle blows, you shake hands with your worthy opponent, no matter the score. They shared the ice with you giving their all. If your team botched it, the shame is on you, not on them.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Yes, very over the top. That said Hayton needs to acknowledge his mistake and apologize. This whole incident seems quite out of character for him.
Yeah, i already said in this thread that he should just apologize and that should be it. That overreaction from Setoguchi is just laughable.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Umm, as much as i think that it was a bum move by Hayton, Setoguchi sounds like a raving lunatic here.

The longer it goes, the worse it gets.

A shame it didn't happen during the earlier game. By the time Hayton wakes up, it'll be all over the place.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's about more than him at this point. It's about the team he represents, which also happens to be a national team.

Being the Captain of a national team is no joke.
I believe he did it because of the cheap shot by the Russian player (and he subsequent dive) at the end of the game. For that reason, and because Russia loves to trash talk, I don't care if he apologizes.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
My take is going to be kinda hot but whatever...who gives a crap about helmets? Stop making hockey look like an institute of noble maidens. Why hate that, hate edgy hits, hate fights? That just make things even more interesting and entertaining. Passion, aggression, testosterone. Bet next time they meet russians would like to respond with some bone-crushing hit and Hayton is well aware of that. As a fans of this sport, you shouldn't be complaining about such marginal stuff as helmet on during anthems. Whatever makes this thing more exciting is allowed in my book.

Simply put: Manners, code and etiquette of sportmanship. It’s the expected behavior out of respect, this guy clearly has zero understanding of it.

I guess he’s the type of a guy to wear a hat in funerals too and never remove it.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Russians are the last ones who can call out anyone's lack of class.

Poor form from Hayton but Russians have no ground to stand on regarding class. Everybody looks bad.

Dear me, thank go we didn't got blown up by USA on the 26th and he threw the same tantrum. Trump would already be rolling the invading tanks to the border.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
giphy.gif

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
Lol at all the canadians on here defending him by saying "its not a big deal. Anthems shouldn't be played anyway. Hes just a kid. Get over it. I wouldn't be mad if a Russian kept his helmet on."

Every single one of you would totally being singing a different tune if the roles were reversed and the opposing captain kept his helmet on. These boards lost its shit when Russians skated off the ice before the Canadian anthem at the world championship. Y'all can get bent with your subtle bullshit. Lmao

Also, theres no way he "just forgot" to take it off. Even if he did, you'd think he'd remember when THE REST OF HIS TEAM took them off. I call bullshit.

Last edited:

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
On the one hand.....I understand that this is a case of a disappointed young adult. We forget that at the end of the day these are 18-19 year olds and will occasionally act as such.

On the other hand.....we as Canadian fans would be losing our minds if a Russian player did this during O Canada so let’s not be hypocrites here.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Can't believe old people mock here canadian childrens by saying "He is just a kid". No need to be so disrespectful toward youth. Kids today are even better human beings than you were at same age. Kids are more worried about climate change. Kids fight more against racism. This act is an anomaly and doesn't represent young people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad