Canadian Captain Barrett Hayton didn't remove his helmet for the Russian anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yes, it is a reflection on his character. Totally. These apologists are pathetic. Even Jeff Frigging O'Neill, the guy who defends all jerk-ish acts of hockey players, said there's not a chance in hell that Hayton "forgot" to take it off.
I didn't say he forgot and I am not being an "apologist". He made a mistake. It is what it is, this isn't something that is going to follow him for more then like a day or two.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It's yours if it later comes out that there's a video of him actually saying those words at 7:18pm Dec 28th.
But I think anyone with intelligence knows that Hayton did not compose this statement. There's a reason why they tweeted it as a written statement and didn't show a video of him actually apologizing. Because he didn't apologize.

People in this thread were even saying it's late at night there, he's probably sleeping and that Hockey Canada should get on this and release a statement since former NHLers are starting to speak out. And then what do you know, Hockey Canada tweets a written statement "from" Hayton.
Seems doubtful that they'd issue a statement with his name on it without his knowledge. Either way you are only choosing to be cynical about it -- you don't actually know anything.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Who are you to say whether it was an honest or dishonest mistake? He made a mistake and it isn't some mark on the kind of person or player he is...he made a mistake.

It's a little difficult to see it as an honest mistake, under the circumstances.

I would agree it was a mistake, in the sense that he did something he should not have done and it reflects poorly on him and his team(unfortunately), but I don't buy that he simply forgot. That just seems unlikely.

Reactions: stampedingviking

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
can't believe they actually made him apologize play national anthems aafter games is stupid anyway

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It's yours if it later comes out that there's a video of him actually saying those words at 7:18pm Dec 28th.
But I think anyone with intelligence knows that Hayton did not compose this statement. There's a reason why they tweeted it as a written statement and didn't show a video of him actually apologizing. Because he didn't apologize.

People in this thread were even saying it's late at night there, he's probably sleeping and that Hockey Canada should get on this and release a statement since former NHLers are starting to speak out. And then what do you know, Hockey Canada tweets a written statement "from" Hayton.
Well I'm pretty sure he didn't write it however you really think from the moment it happened and he went to sleep someone didn't talk to him and say that was dumb? You should probably apologize? Now again he didn't write it but I'm sure he was told something was gonna be posted and he agreed to it. Now maybe I'm wrong to but Hockey Canada wouldn't let something like this go doesn't look good. What would look even more stupid is Hayton saying he's not sorry after this has already been posted. So slice it anyway you want but as far as I'm concerned it's over unless of course Hayton says he isn't sorry which is not gonna happen.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
I am sure you never made an irrational and emotional mistake at 19. He did something wrong and will hopefully learn from it. It really isn't the end of the world.

I prefer the Toews honest mistake ("We did a ******** great job!" in an interview to this one, but yeah, I wouldn't want to be judged by how I acted at 19.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's a little difficult to see it as an honest mistake, under the circumstances.

I would agree it was a mistake, in the sense that he did something he should not have done and it reflects poorly on him and his team(unfortunately), but I don't buy that he simply forgot. That just seems unlikely.
Given how Hockey Canada is run it’s highly unlikely that they didn’t go over the proper procedures To follow for what to do before and after games.
Apologize. Accept the criticism and then move on.

Reactions: Sojourn

blindpass

May 7, 2010
He's been in hundreds of games and removed his helmet for every one of those.
He was acting like a spoiled kid. That's it.
Yes, no denying it. It is being blown out of proportion though, by Denisenko first of all, then by everyone else. The apology that was issued is sufficient.

Is this also how you felt about Lias Andersson when he threw his medal into the crowd? Did you speak out about that? Just curious.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Should not have happened. I think he should lose the captaincy, Hockey Canada apologizes and we move on and get ready for Germany.

Group is completely wide open...the top two spots are coveted...need to get one of those spots.

Coach Dale Hunter and his staff have a pile of work to do in all facets.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A: he probably has to take his helmet off about 80 times a year for an anthem so forgetting today is kind of interesting, you'd think muscle memory would kick in given there is an anthem at least once before every game he plays.
B: the apology from both Hockey Canada and him seem absolutely perfect and time to move on.

C: on the Euro hockey tour, the Russians played the Kazakh anthem for the Czechs.lol They didn't find the Czech one so the Czech fans actually sang the anthem themselves. This was 2 weeks ago. They apologized and everyone moved on (Czech coach made a snarky comment and that was it).

Link with video:

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Yes, no denying it. It is being blown out of proportion though, by Denisenko first of all, then by everyone else. The apology that was issued is sufficient.

Is this also how you felt about Lias Andersson when he threw his medal into the crowd? Did you speak out about that? Just curious.

Honestly don't remember. I think it was stupid to throw the medal, but it's far from the same thing.

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
The Russians were disrespectful as sh*it with their celebrations, can't do stuff like that without repercussions from the opponent

Agreed. They are a bunch of jerks but that is so typical of the Russians - celebrating like soccer players. Canadian boys would never have done that.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Honestly don't remember. I think it was stupid to throw the medal, but it's far from the same thing.

No kidding... no relation at all. I'm positive he shook hands and stood for the anthem after.

And I'm on the 'he apologized, let's move on' train on this one!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
An apology has been issued, not much left to discuss on this topic that will not go down the path of bickering and flaming. Unless there is additional news to this story (which I can't see at this point) I'm going to lock this up so we can move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad