Canadian Captain Barrett Hayton didn't remove his helmet for the Russian anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
I suppose he was simply following the spirit of the WADA decision, according to which Russia can't use flag and anthem anymore...

Just kidding, it was simply disrespect, which shouldn't happen. But not a big deal, either.

(I am too happy about the 6-0 result to care). :)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn’t be too disappointed about a guy not removing a helmet after destroying Canada 6-0, to be honest

Well, it's entirely possible he was suffering from some form of PTSD.

Doesn't mean he can't apologize for it later. That's all. Get ahead of it and it goes away.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Whether intentional or not, it's not a good look for a Canadian Captain and he should publicly apologize.
Would expect Hockey Canada, along with every other nation to instruct their players before the tournament about the customs and procedures that are expected of them.

So, either a failure by Hockey Canada or a bad mistake by Hayton.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Would expect Hockey Canada, along with every other nation to instruct their players before the tournament about the customs and procedures that are expected of them.

So, either a failure by Hockey Canada or a bad mistake by Hayton.

Well, seeing as it's the first time I can remember it happening at an international competition involving Canada, I'm not going to throw Hockey Canada under the bus just yet.

Reactions: shello

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Yeah I saw one of the Russian players skating and arguing towards the ref after the anthem and wondered if a Canadian player did something

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I wonder if he'll get suspended for that. The IIHF apparently have rules for these post game ceremonies. A couple of years ago Swedish players got ridiculous multiple game suspensions for holding their medals in their hands during the ceremony. This seems comparable.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't understand all this buzz around the things like this. We did it before, Canadians did it... Yeah, I don't see any big deal here. Players are madly upset, when they lose games like this, to their sworn opponents in such bad manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad