Canada's Cough Ups from defense

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

Went to Columbus for Monday's game.
After a dormant first period, the US forecheck came alive in the second and third, forcing Canada's defensemen to cough up the puck all over the place. Particularly bad were Brewer, Jovanovski and Bouwmeester.
These guys simply failed time after time to get the puck up on the glass and out of the zone, which forced the forwards to abandon their point positions and come down low and help, which allowed Brian Leetch a lot of open space.
I don't know much about Bouwmeester, but Jovo and Brewer have always been a little suspect when it comes to giveaways.
A good forecheck will hurt Canada's chances

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
A good forcheck will hurt anyone's chances. That's part of the reason why the Flames had so much success in the playoffs.

I'm not too worried about Bouwmeester, he's only there to learn and will not play in the tourney unless injuries occur. Jovanovski & Brewer, on the other hand, make me cringe everytime they touch the puck. They should not play together IMO.

Niedermayer, Foote, Regehr, Redden & Hannan have all looked solid so far IMO. Maybe Brewer or Jovo may spend some time in the pressbox if they don't improve on a few things. That might be exactly the type of wake-up call they need.

The US Defence is no prize either.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
yeah, the leetch give away gave me scary flashbacks of the berard era here in toronto, lol...

i dont like the brewer/jovo pairing either, and i seriously doubt they'll stay with it. in my oppinion, special Ed should be with either Redden or Foote at all times. this way he can use the skills that make him great, and have a bit of a safety net back there just in case. brewer, well i can't see him playing with anyone but regehr/hannan on the 3rd line, so i think he'll be alright

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
arrbez said:
yeah, the leetch give away gave me scary flashbacks of the berard era here in toronto, lol...

i dont like the brewer/jovo pairing either, and i seriously doubt they'll stay with it. in my oppinion, special Ed should be with either Redden or Foote at all times. this way he can use the skills that make him great, and have a bit of a safety net back there just in case. brewer, well i can't see him playing with anyone but regehr/hannan on the 3rd line, so i think he'll be alright
Jovo coughed up the puck yesterday. Can't blame Brewer on the one goal yesterday.

The Pairings and not in particular order for yesterday's game.

Foote-Brewer
Jovonovski-Redden
Neidermayer-Regehr
Bouwmeester-Hannan

Jovonovski coughed up the puck that ended up being the American's only goal.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
i know, but i dont think jovo and brewer would be a pairing i'd feel safe with at the end of a close game

wait...are you the guy who freaks out any time anyone doubts brewer's godly talents? ;)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
haha,

"yeah, those two are bad together..but...the US's defense sucks!"

haha, whaaaat? where did that come from? jabs like that, and you guys are complaining about "anti-canadian" posters?

Mountain Dude

Quinn said most of the coughs up were caused by lack of help from the forwards.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Meh, they're all gonna cough it up at some point. Especially the offensively minded ones like Brewer and Jovanovski. That's why pairing them together on anything but the power play is a bad idea. They need defensive stalwarts like Foote and Regehr playing as their partners so they can carry the puck up ice.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
Bouwmeester and Jovanovski have excuses. They are offensive defensemen. On the other hand Brewer. I don't think he even belongs on Team Canada.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
He's on because Kevin Lowe has a ''say'' in the player selects. Why the hell else would he be on the team?

You may want to have a look at the Gold Rush dvd.
It aint Klowe pushing for Brewer.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
monster_bertuzzi said:
He's on because Kevin Lowe has a ''say'' in the player selects. Why the hell else would he be on the team?

There seems to be an unwritten rule that every Canadian team must have a player on Team Canada.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Perhaps because of past team success where he was very solid on the team. If I remember correctly Brewer had a better game than Jovo their last game, and wasn't the direct result of a goal against. :teach: I guess we should throw that all out the window since the poster above you believes that since Jovo is an offensive defenceman, he deserves to be on the team more. :shakehead

dem

Mar 17, 2002
chapel113x said:
There seems to be an unwritten rule that every Canadian team must have a player on Team Canada.

Uh.. Ryan Smyth would have filled that spot for the Oilers.

Anyway.. where would Montreals player be?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Jose Theodore, dem.

I don't mind the idea of Brewer on the World Cup team. Pairing him with Jovanovski is sheer nonsense...especially with Jovanovski playing the right side, which he is unused to.

Mountain Dude

monster_bertuzzi said:

:shakehead

Maybes its because he already has 1 olympic medal and 2 WC, and I dont even know what he has in Junior.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
chapel113x said:
Bouwmeester and Jovanovski have excuses. They are offensive defensemen. On the other hand Brewer. I don't think he even belongs on Team Canada.

Jovanovski is a 2-way defensemen, he had no excuses, especially after showing everybody what kind of play he's capable of at the international level at the Olympics. he's my second favorite player in the league but even i can say he needs to smarten up or he'll find himself in the pressbox.

he's trying too hard to replace Blake and MacInnis (Canada's usual offensive defensemen), and not concentrating on keeping his defensive game simple.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
LaVal575 said:
Jovanovski is a 2-way defensemen, he had no excuses, especially after showing everybody what kind of play he's capable of at the international level at the Olympics. he's my second favorite player in the league but even i can say he needs to smarten up or he'll find himself in the pressbox.

he's trying too hard to replace Blake and MacInnis (Canada's usual offensive defensemen), and not concentrating on keeping his defensive game simple.

Jovanovski has never been that great defensively his entire career. I don't see how this changes now that he's playing at the World Cup. They knew what they were getting into when they picked him.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
chapel113x said:
Jovanovski has never been that great defensively his entire career. I don't see how this changes now that he's playing at the World Cup. They knew what they were getting into when they picked him.

he certainly is a force defensively. he's always made the odd mistake because he's asked to take high risks (as every defensemen in that role will undoubtably do), but he's always been a key defensive player. last Olympics he was asked to play stay-at-home for Rob Blake, and played the role to a perfection. there's no reason to believe he can't play up to that level again.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
LaVal575 said:
he certainly is a force defensively. he's always made the odd mistake because he's asked to take high risks (as every defensemen in that role will undoubtably do), but he's always been a key defensive player. last Olympics he was asked to play stay-at-home for Rob Blake, and played the role to a perfection. there's no reason to believe he can't play up to that level again.

Jovanovski definitley a good defensive player. But if people are expecting a Rob Blake or Chris Pronger type player out of him they should think again. Offense and physical play are his assetts. I realize that guys are gonna have to step up due to injuries, but to fully utilize Jovanovski they should give him alot of PP time and give him lots of ice time in end to end wide open ice type games and not in a stay at home defensemen role. Leave Regehr, Foote and Hannan to do that.

Last edited:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
:shakehead

Maybes its because he already has 1 olympic medal and 2 WC, and I dont even know what he has in Junior.

Ok but how do you explain Brewer getting the nod over clear better defenceman such as Aucoin, McCabe, Hannan (before he got the call), etc. BTW, Brewer only made the 02' Olympic team for the same reason - Kevin Lowe, so dont use that as evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad