CANADA WORLD CUP ROSTER....ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelholtz

Aug 16, 2003
hey there guys/girls. what kind of ideas do you all have for the team canada world cup roster. here is my ideas:

15 forwards:

Joe Thornton, Rick Nash, Joe Sakic, Jarome Iginla, Ryan Smyth, Mike Peca, Dany Heatley, Marty St.Louis, Todd Bertuzzi, Steve Yzerman, Shane Doan, Mario Lemieux, Patrick Marleau, Paul Kariya, Alex Tanguay

8 Defense

Scott Neidermayer, Adam Foote, Bryan McCabe, Chris Pronger, Ed Jovonovski, Eric Brewer, Rob Blake, Sheldon Souray

3 Goalies:

Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur
Ed Belfour/Jose Theodore/Curtis Joseph

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Is the young player rule gone? If so, here is my team, a lot of really great players don't make it for me but I try and look at what has worked and have a bit of grit on every line.

15 forwards:

Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Todd Bertuzzi (66 and Kariya worked before, Mario wants to play with Bert?)
Simon Gagne - Joe Sakic - Jerome Iginla (So effective at the Olympics)
John Madden - Mike Peca - Marty St. Louis (Three little buzzsaws)
Rick Nash - Joe Thornton - Dany Heatley (The future for Canada, just scary - top line?)
Spares: Ryan Smyth (in instead of Madden?) - Alex Tanguay - Shane Doan

I really wanted to put Keith Primeau, Patrick Marleau, Vincent Lecavalier, Scott Hartnell, and Matt Cooke on but just don't see it happening (especially with Cooke and Hartnell).

8 Defense

Adam Foote - Scott Neidermayer
Ed Jovonovski - Chris Pronger
Rob Blake - Wade Redden
Spares: Adrien Aucoin - Bryan McCabe

I'm not too high on anyone else. Robyn Regehr, Eric Brewer and even Brad Stuart make the team before Souray IMO. Derek Morris has played himself right off the team.

3 Goalies:

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Spare: Jose Theodore

Honorable mention since he didn't make the original post JS Giguerre, I'd take him before either Eddy or Curtis because he'll probably just sit in the press box and Giguerre might actually benefit from the experience and use it for Canada in the future.

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I agree with the above list, but I don't think Souray or McCabe should be considered at this point. They had good years for the most part but come playoff time they didn't play very well. Souray in particular.

Also, I'm wondering if Mike Fisher will be added to add some youth to our fourth line. I know after seeing him, Canada's management was impressed as they asked him right away to go to Prague. He had an elbow injury though. I think he'd be a good addition.

highstickingyerface

Mar 5, 2004
eastern canada
after seeing how well Rob Niedermayer and Matt Cooke played at the World Championships why shouldn'yt they be considered for the checking line? Mike Peca hasn't played well in 3 years.. he doesn't even deserve consideration IMO

I think Regehr and Hannan have definitely played themselves into consideration for the defense

Quinn's influence should have little to do with Belfour's selection.. Eddie deserves to go.

Brad Richards have a shot?

Killer 93

Sting004 said:
I agree with the above list, but I don't think Souray or McCabe should be considered at this point. They had good years for the most part but come playoff time they didn't play very well. Souray in particular.

Dream on. McCabe had one bad game. He and Brian Leetch are still tied for first in scoring by defencemen. Do not compare his playoffs to Souray's.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
jin said:
Is the young player rule gone? If so, here is my team, a lot of really great players don't make it for me but I try and look at what has worked and have a bit of grit on every line.

15 forwards:

Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Todd Bertuzzi (66 and Kariya worked before, Mario wants to play with Bert?)
Simon Gagne - Joe Sakic - Jerome Iginla (So effective at the Olympics)
John Madden - Mike Peca - Marty St. Louis (Three little buzzsaws)
Rick Nash - Joe Thornton - Dany Heatley (The future for Canada, just scary - top line?)
Spares: Ryan Smyth (in instead of Madden?) - Alex Tanguay - Shane Doan

I really wanted to put Keith Primeau, Patrick Marleau, Vincent Lecavalier, Scott Hartnell, and Matt Cooke on but just don't see it happening (especially with Cooke and Hartnell).

8 Defense

Adam Foote - Scott Neidermayer
Ed Jovonovski - Chris Pronger
Rob Blake - Wade Redden
Spares: Adrien Aucoin - Bryan McCabe

I'm not too high on anyone else. Robyn Regehr, Eric Brewer and even Brad Stuart make the team before Souray IMO. Derek Morris has played himself right off the team.

3 Goalies:

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Spare: Jose Theodore

Honorable mention since he didn't make the original post JS Giguerre, I'd take him before either Eddy or Curtis because he'll probably just sit in the press box and Giguerre might actually benefit from the experience and use it for Canada in the future.

I agree with alot of your picks but in NO WAY is Ryan Smyth a spare. In every international gam ehe plays I have never seen someone pour his hear into a game more then him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't beleive that Peca deserves a spot on the team as he is grossly overrated. If team Canada is looking for a 3rd line defensive center Keith Primeau is a much better choice as he has established himself as the top "shut down" center in the NHL this season. Primeau was also argueably our best forward in the previous World Cup and it was a joke that he was not a part of our Olympic team. I think I would even rather take Draper over Peca as Draper brings alot more speed than Peca does.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Estimated_Prophet said:
I don't beleive that Peca deserves a spot on the team as he is grossly overrated. If team Canada is looking for a 3rd line defensive center Keith Primeau is a much better choice as he has established himself as the top "shut down" center in the NHL this season. Primeau was also argueably our best forward in the previous World Cup and it was a joke that he was not a part of our Olympic team. I think I would even rather take Draper over Peca as Draper brings alot more speed than Peca does.

I'm not sure that Peca belongs there either. But, he is a far superior defensive center to Primeau AND Draper and Primeau has a long, long way to go before he establishes himself as a "top shut down center in the NHL." If he was anywhere near as effect as you suggest, it is not clear why there are three other centers ahead of him in the Selke voting,

BTW, Peca played for a much weaker team then Philly, was used extensively in critical defensive situations, and still had a better +/- than Primeau.

Personally, I think the third line should go to a center with Peca's defensive abilities, but a bit more offense. I'm not sure who that would be.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Sting004 said:

Also, I'm wondering if Mike Fisher will be added to add some youth to our fourth line. I know after seeing him, Canada's management was impressed as they asked him right away to go to Prague. He had an elbow injury though. I think he'd be a good addition.

I agree with you about Fisher.

I'm not sure that McCabe, Aucoin, or Souray are Canda Cup caliber dmen. I watch Aucoin the most, and definitely don't think he belongs there.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
RW: St. Louis, Iginla, Bertuzzi, Heatley
C: Joe Sakic, Mario Lemieux, Vincent Lecavalier, Keith Primeau
LW: Paul Kariya, Mark Recchi, Rick Nash, Ryan Smyth
D: Chris Pronger, Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Scott Niedermayer, Ed Jovanovski, Wade Redden, Adrian Aucoin
G: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Roberto Luongo

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
My picks..

Nash - Sakic - Iginla
Kariya - Lemieux - Bertuzzi
Smyth - Thornton - Heatley
Doan - Peca - St. Louis
too man y possible extras to list

Pronger - Blake
Foote - Neidermeyer
Brewer - Redden
Jovo

Brodeur
Loungo
Theodore

Just my thoughts...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Darth Milbury said:
I'm not sure that Peca belongs there either. But, he is a far superior defensive center to Primeau AND Draper and Primeau has a long, long way to go before he establishes himself as a "top shut down center in the NHL." If he was anywhere near as effect as you suggest, it is not clear why there are three other centers ahead of him in the Selke voting,

Pierre McGuire mentioned the other day Primeau would probably have had consideration if not for injuries. Ok, it's Pierre McGuire. But I actually agree with him on this one.

I really like Primeau and DO think he is a top shutdown center on top of providing a lot more. That being said, we are talking about international ice. On NHL ice, I'd take him above ANY other shutdown guy in the league. He is that good.

But his game has always been subject to a lot of penalties. He crashes the net and with the recent crackdown in the NHL, you can see how this costs him goals and send him to the box this year. On international ice, it would likely get worse. So he is not a definite for me in tournaments.

Peca is also not a definite but it would be crazy to say he does not deserve *consideration*. I love the guy.

I'm looking at the number of guys for Canada and I doubt anyone will come up with a consesus roster. I can't see how we can pick a team and not leave out some tremendous talents.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Nash-Thornton-Heatley
Kariya-Lemieux-Bertuzzi (Mario gets his wish)
Smyth-Sakic-Iginla
Tanguay-Primeau-St.Louis
spares: Doan,Lecavalier

Pronger-Jovanovski
Niedermayer-Foote
Redden-Blake
spare:McCabe

Brodeur
Luongo
Belfour

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
RW: St. Louis, Iginla, Bertuzzi, Heatley
C: Joe Sakic, Mario Lemieux, Vincent Lecavalier, Keith Primeau
LW: Paul Kariya, Mark Recchi, Rick Nash, Ryan Smyth
D: Chris Pronger, Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Scott Niedermayer, Ed Jovanovski, Wade Redden, Adrian Aucoin
G: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Roberto Luongo

No Thornton?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Pierre McGuire mentioned the other day Primeau would probably have had consideration if not for injuries. Ok, it's Pierre McGuire. But I actually agree with him on this one.

I really like Primeau and DO think he is a top shutdown center on top of providing a lot more. That being said, we are talking about international ice. On NHL ice, I'd take him above ANY other shutdown guy in the league. He is that good.

But his game has always been subject to a lot of penalties. He crashes the net and with the recent crackdown in the NHL, you can see how this costs him goals and send him to the box this year. On international ice, it would likely get worse. So he is not a definite for me in tournaments.

Peca is also not a definite but it would be crazy to say he does not deserve *consideration*. I love the guy.

I'm looking at the number of guys for Canada and I doubt anyone will come up with a consesus roster. I can't see how we can pick a team and not leave out some tremendous talents.

An arguement could be made that Fisher should get the nod before both Peca and Primeau. If nothing else, I think Team Canada needs to begin developing some of the next generation. Its also kind of hard to ignore Madden, in this particular kind of role.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Vlad The Impaler said:

Agreed with you in regards to international ice, but since Team Canada is playing every game on NHL sized ice, isn't this point moot?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
SensGod said:
Stupid question here...Bertuzzi is still suspended by the NHL. He still has to submit a request for re-instatement to the league. Can Bertuzzi even play in the World Cup?

Separate tournament so yes it is possible. The NHL should have no say over whether Bertuzzi plays or not. I know Mario is pushing for him, but I think Wayne and Kevin and the other guys choosing the team are a bit wary of selecting him.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
s7ark said:
Separate tournament so yes it is possible. The NHL should have no say over whether Bertuzzi plays or not. I know Mario is pushing for him, but I think Wayne and Kevin and the other guys choosing the team are a bit wary of selecting him.

Don't the relevant international bodies generally respect suspensions handed down by either the NHL or the NHL's European counterparts?

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Darth Milbury said:
Don't the relevant international bodies generally respect suspensions handed down by either the NHL or the NHL's European counterparts?

yes they do.

in order for Bertuzzi to play he has to get reinstated - which is probably what will happen.

He will likely have a hearing after the regular season is done. I don't see him not being reinstated by the time the World Cup comes around... Mario holds a lot of sway in the NHL overall, and this being his last major tourney, and possibly even last competitive hockey, I think he'll get his wish to play with Mario.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Darth Milbury said:

In general no, but they made an exception for Bertuzzi - the IIHF will honor his suspension.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JaymzB said:
Agreed with you in regards to international ice, but since Team Canada is playing every game on NHL sized ice, isn't this point moot?

For the mobility issues, it is but the contact issue would still concern me.

I am a huge Keith Primeau fan going back to his very first (and very awkward) strides in the NHL. He is one of my favorite players in the league.

he can be a dominating player and doesn't get half the credit he has deserves sometimes, due to a lack of pure skills. One thing I have always noticed is that when he elevates his game, he plays a reckless, gritty game. I just don't think he can be dominant without doing this. He is one of the worst natural skater in the game. He compensates by simply giving it all.

I just don't think in a short tournament, you can take a chance and hope the referees will be nice. They can be much stricter in tournaments. I'd rather have a guy who can do his best even without the reckless aspect.

I just think there are many guys in this league who can be at their most effective even when they don't dominate physically and unfortunately, Primeau ain't one of them. He also happens to be such a big guy, and since I think head contact is forbidden, that's a second strike against him.

Sounds risky. Should still be considered but there are so many guys to choose from...

No doubt, team Canada will always have a few feisty guys to set the tempo but there are options out there. Guys who can be more useful when they tone it down.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Centres

Top - 7

Thornton (r)
Sakic (f)
Marleau (r)
Primeau (-)
Richards (r)
Lecavalier (r)
Lemieux * (f)

The Rest (No Particular Order)

Rucchin (f)
Savard (r)
Briere (r)
Arnott (f)
Draper (r)
Yzerman * (f)
Comrie (r)
Allison * (f)
Ribeiro (r)
Madden (r)
Peca (f)
Scatchard (-)
Lindros * (f)
Spezza (r)
White (r)
Langkow (-)
Morrison (r)
Nieuwendyk * (f)

Left Wing

Top - 7

Kariya (-)
Nash (r)
Tanguay (r)
Smyth (f)
Morrow (r)
Gagne (f)
Cooke (r)

The Rest (No Order)

Daze (-)
Bell (r)
Sanderson (f)
Shanahan (f)
Moreau (r)
Torres (r)
Hartnell (r)
Damphousse (f)
Stillman (r)
Roberts * (f)
Whitney (-)

Right Wing

Top - 7

Heatley (r)
Iginla (-)
St Louis (r)
Bertuzzi (r)
Doan (r)
Sullivan (r)
Murray (r)

The Rest (No Order)

Lapointe (f)
O'Neill * (f)
Ryder (r)
Walker (-)
Carter (f)
Fisher (r)
Recchi (f)
Williams (r)
Cheechoo (r)
Nolan * (f)

Defense

Top - 12

Pronger (-)
Blake (-)
Niedermayer (r)
Redden (r)
Jovanovski (-)
Aucoin (r)
Brewer (-)
Regehr (r)
McCabe (r)
Stuart (r)
Foote (f)
Hannan (r)

The Rest (No Order)

Boynton (r)
Warrener (f)
Morris (f)
Sydor (f)
Smith (-)
Bouwmeester (r)
Van Ryn (r)
Souray (r)
Hamhuis (r)
Stevens * (f)
Philips (-)
Desjardins * (f)
Jackman * (r)
MacInnis * (f)
McLaren (f)
Boyle (r)
Sarich (r)
Sopel (r)
Witt (f)

Goal

Top - 5

Brodeur (-)
Luongo (r)
Theodore (r)
Turco (r)
Belfour * (f)

The Rest (No Order)

Giguere (r)
Raycroft (r)
Weekes (r)
Thibault (f)
Biron (f)
Denis (-)
Joseph (f)
Roloson (r)
Lalime (f)
Burke (f)
Osgood (f)
Cloutier * (r)

* Significant injury issue. May or may not have affected ranking.
(r) Ranking has improved since the Olympics
(f) Ranking has fallen since the Olympics
(-) No change in ranking since the Olympics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad