CANADA WORLD CUP ROSTER....ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend*

nucks&flames said:
About cooke, i can see him being a sleeper pick. Remember when gretzky was scouting game 7 canucks vs flames, and cooke had a memorable game, plus he's a relentless player, who's agitating, plays defense well, chips in on the offence, theres nothing not to like except for maybe better players. He also had a superb gold medal game sunday too i just remembered. who knows....

You mention Matt Cooke, but don't even whisper Dany Heatley's name.

What a joke.

TeMPZ

Apr 20, 2004
Great White North
Rick Nash was -35 this season, while tied for the most goals in the NHL. Doesn't that fact scare any of you enough to not put him on your roster? He hasn't developed his defensive game enough to play at such a high level competition IMO.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
TeMPZ said:
Rick Nash was -35 this season, while tied for the most goals in the NHL. Doesn't that fact scare any of you enough to not put him on your roster? He hasn't developed his defensive game enough to play at such a high level competition IMO.

No, because a) most of his goals came on the PP and didn't count towards his +/-, b) Columbus sucks, and c) we can stick him with a defensively responsible center like Sakic or Marleau.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Footemeister said:
Cooke might get some consideration also.

Cooke doesn't stand a chance, not even a very small one. There's a superior player in Brenden Morrow who no one talks about, and he can do everything Cooke can plus more. Then there are players like Ryan Smyth, Shane Doan, John Madden, Keith Primeau or Patrick Marleau, forget it, a strict and limited grinder like Cooke won't stand a chance.

My forwards:

Rick Nash - Mario Lemieux - Jarome Iginla
Dany Heatley - Joe Sakic - Martin St. Louis
Ryan Smyth - Joe Thornton - Todd Bertuzzi
Brenden Morrow - Mike Peca - Shane Doan

First line is big and fairly physical. Mario does the fancy stickwork and the two powerforwards hussle and finish the plays. The 2nd line is all about speed and scoring, all 3 have lethal wristers and no one should have a hard time playing with Joe. The 3rd, well, I prefer Joe above the Princes, he, Smyth and Bert should form quite the intimidating, yet productive line. My 4th line is all about shutting down on a physical manner. Brenden and Mike are two of the best at what they do on their respective position. I couldn't come up with a more physical left winger that posseses the same defensive or even two way abilities, and the same can be said for Mike, who I trust more in this role then Lecavalier, Primeau, Madden or Marleau. Doan is just a perfect fit here.

Dallas Stars candidates: Brenden Morrow and Jason Arnott. I like Morrow if he actually were to play the role I am thinkin he should, but may the Canadiens go with 4 pure scoring lines, or may they prefer skill over brawns, then he wouldn't stand much of a chance getting the call. Arnott is in the same boat as Keith Primeau, good, but not good enough. Canada is just too deep, especially down the middle.

My Defense:

Chris Pronger - Wade Redden
Rob Blake - Scott Niedermayer
Adam Foote - Ed Jovanovski

Not a single surprise here. Though I initially didn't want Jovo on the team, he's too inconsistant and still too shaky for my likings, but I figure with a defensive stalward in Foote behind him, he should be ok, if not, flourish.

Dallas Stars candidates: Philippe Boucher. Philippe is actually alot closer at getting some consideration than most would think. He's in the same boat as all the remaining top candidates such as Souray, McCabe, Aucoin, Regerh or Hannan. But, he's not the fastest guy (neither are the others mind you), and the competition is extremely stiff, he won't stand a chance. But I do most definitely give him a call before I do a lot of others. Then there's Richard Matvichuk, but he's been downright horrible and hasn't been able to play up to potential since getting that injury. Definitely not a chance.

My goalies:

Martin Brodeur, Marty Turco and Roberto Luongo.

I explained my reasoning as of why I would want Turco on the team before, his strenghts are extremely simular to Martin and that would limit the amount of adjustments the team would have to make may they decide to switch eachother. Especially stickhandling, which a defense gets used to. Luongo was randomly chosen, 3rd goalies rarely play much anyways.

Last edited:

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
I'm just curious..is brad stuart on option for defence. Hes' young mobile, has some international experience at the WJC, and the world's I believe. I'd put him at least in the same category as McCabe and Redden

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
south end super star said:
I'm just curious..is brad stuart on option for defence. Hes' young mobile, has some international experience at the WJC, and the world's I believe. I'd put him at least in the same category as McCabe and Redden

Stuart is good but McCabe and Redden are still a little ahead of him.

OMA

Mar 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
south end super star said:

He'd get some consideration I'd guess. That being said, Hannan has stole his thunder in the post-season. I'd guess that Stuart, Hannan, Aucoin, Regehr and Brewer will get consideration as the 7th/8th d-men

allrevvedup25

Jul 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Mine is

Forward

Bertuzzi-Lemieux-St. Louis
Heatley-Sakic-Iginla
Nash-Thornton-Marleau
Morrow-Lecavalier-Doan

I fdon't believe in a checking line in these tourney's because if more than I line is going for an opponent, the checking line can't stop all the lines.

Spares- Smyth, Kariya, Peca

Defense

Blake-Niedermayer
Jovo-Pronger
Stuart-McCabe

Spares - Stevens (if Healthy), Redden, Foote

Goalies

Brodeur
Luongo
Turco

Kaillou

May 9, 2004
I think it should break down something like this:

Rick Nash - Joe Thornton - Todd Bertuzzi
Dany Heatley - Joe Sakic - Jarome Iginla
Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Steve Yzerman
Martin St. Louis - Vincent Leclavier - Patrick Marleau

Rob Blake - Chris Pronger
Scott Neidermayer - Bryan McCabe
Ed Jovanovski - Wade Redden

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Jose Theodre

Extras: Shane Doan, Glenn Murray, Ryan Smyth, Jay Bouwmeester, Adam Foote.

moose

Mar 7, 2004
my picks:

Karyia-Sakic-Iginla
Murray-Thornton-Bertuzzi
St. Louis-Lecavilier-Heatley
Nash-Doan-Spezza

Pronger-Jovonoski
Blake-Foote
Neidermayer-Redden

Brodeur
Luongo
Belfour

Spares: Smyth, Tanguay, Marleau, McCabe, Regehr

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Seeing Cooke's name in this thread makes me howl.

He wouldn't make Canada's third national team. He's a role player that plays his role below the level of several other Canadians.

RoyIsALegend*

Alex Tanguay still getting over-looked?

He led the Avalanche in points throughout the season and was 1st in the league in assists up until he got injured. Even with Peter Forsberg out, he was easily their best forward. Absolutely phenomenal skill package for this kid, and when his confidence is there, he can make passes and quick moves that only a handful of guys can.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Vlad The Impaler said:
Pierre McGuire mentioned the other day Primeau would probably have had consideration if not for injuries. Ok, it's Pierre McGuire. But I actually agree with him on this one.

I really like Primeau and DO think he is a top shutdown center on top of providing a lot more. That being said, we are talking about international ice. On NHL ice, I'd take him above ANY other shutdown guy in the league. He is that good.

But his game has always been subject to a lot of penalties. He crashes the net and with the recent crackdown in the NHL, you can see how this costs him goals and send him to the box this year. On international ice, it would likely get worse. So he is not a definite for me in tournaments.

Peca is also not a definite but it would be crazy to say he does not deserve *consideration*. I love the guy.

I'm looking at the number of guys for Canada and I doubt anyone will come up with a consesus roster. I can't see how we can pick a team and not leave out some tremendous talents.
The vast majority is actually on NA sized ice. you forget this isnt a iihf event, so the games in canada and usa are on canada/us sized ice.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
RoyIsALegend said:
Alex Tanguay still getting over-looked?

He led the Avalanche in points throughout the season and was 1st in the league in assists up until he got injured. Even with Peter Forsberg out, he was easily their best forward. Absolutely phenomenal skill package for this kid, and when his confidence is there, he can make passes and quick moves that only a handful of guys can.

He is one of the big borderline guys. He isn't a clear cut lock like Joe Sakic is, he is in the 10-20 range of best Canadian forwards and it will depend on who Quinn likes whether he makes it or not. I like Tanguay and think he should get a serious look. It's kind of weird that anyone would put a guy like Kariya in over Tanguay though, to me Alex is clearly the better player.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Don_Cherry said:

He wouldn't make Canada's third national team. He's a role player that plays his role below the level of several other Canadians.

Agreed, Cooke making the World Cup team would be the biggest joke since Rob Zamuner at Nagano.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
forwards:

Patrick Marleau - Mario Lemieux - Jarome Iginla
Dany Heatley - Joe Sakic - Martin St. Louis
Ryan Smyth - Joe Thornton - Todd Bertuzzi
Brenden Morrow - Keith Primeau- Shane Doan

I had to move Marleau over to the wing to make room for him.

Extras: Nash, Lecavilier, Kariya

defense:

Chris Pronger - Wade Redden
Rob Blake - Scott Niedermayer
Adam Foote - Ed Jovanovski

Extras: Regehr, Bouwmeester, McCabe

goalies:

Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo and Jose Theodore.

Extra: Turco

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:

Settle down, only one person had Cooke on their team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Don_Cherry said:

I think the idea was that we could use some checkers/grinders/PK artists on this team. Most people are stacking theirs with scorers. Seeing some guys like Horcoff, Cooke, R. Niedermayer, Madden et al are realistic, I'd think.

~Canucklehead~

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
canucklehead17 said:
I think the idea was that we could use some checkers/grinders/PK artists on this team. Most people are stacking theirs with scorers. Seeing some guys like Horcoff, Cooke, R. Niedermayer, Madden et al are realistic, I'd think.

~Canucklehead~

No, having guys like Horcoff and Cooke as members of the Canadian World Cup team is NOT realistic.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Rabid Ranger said:
No, having guys like Horcoff and Cooke as members of the Canadian World Cup team is NOT realistic.

Well, why not? We can't have a team filled with superstar scorers, we need some PK guys and bump 'em and grinders. Perhaps Horcoff and Cooke were "poor man's" examples, but players like them should be included on the team. Thinking of examples like Keith Primeau, John Madden, etc.

~Canucklehead~

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
canucklehead17 said:
Well, why not? We can't have a team filled with superstar scorers, we need some PK guys and bump 'em and grinders. Perhaps Horcoff and Cooke were "poor man's" examples, but players like them should be included on the team. Thinking of examples like Keith Primeau, John Madden, etc.

~Canucklehead~

Ok Primeau, Madden & Draper now those are the types of defensive minded grinders who deserve to be on team Canada. You are right we do need a couple of guys like this on the team especially since it is on North American style ice.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
GagsIsDaMan said:
Ok Primeau, Madden & Draper now those are the types of defensive minded grinders who deserve to be on team Canada. You are right we do need a couple of guys like this on the team especially since it is on North American style ice.

Thank you. I wasn't saying that Horcoff or Cooke should be on the team, but we do need some guys who play that style--defensive, can play on the PK, shadow the stars of other teams, etc.

~Canucklehead~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->