GDT: Canada vs USA - Sat August 6th 7 pm eastern TSN

Mr Hockey*

I think they said there was 30, 1st rounders on the 4 teams, Canada had 18 of them ...

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Another thumping! Not surprised seeing it is basically the same crap team we watched roll over last years tournament.

These playets ate a terrible mix.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
Lotta pretty passing

are we watching the same games? there has been maybe a total of 2 pretty passes in the 3 games. i wouldn't be surprised to find their pass % under 50% for the tournament.

this game especially was reflective of the last WJC; everyone playing individually, zero chemistry, zero game plan. so gross.

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
are we watching the same games? there has been maybe a total of 2 pretty passes in the 3 games. i wouldn't be surprised to find their pass % under 50% for the tournament.

this game especially was reflective of the last WJC; everyone playing individually, zero chemistry, zero game plan. so gross.

This.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

1st half the game, they were doing well, creating lots of chances, but looked like they were opting to go for the pretty pass rather then shoot it.

After that they couldn't make a pass to save their lives. It's August hockey so I don't expect much

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
1st half the game, they were doing well, creating lots of chances, but looked like they were opting to go for the pretty pass rather then shoot it.

After that they couldn't make a pass to save their lives. It's August hockey so I don't expect much

Not first half. First period. Second was 100% dominated by the US. Canada got outshot something fierce. Along the lines of 19-2 at one point.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Bad coaching. They playing individually because there's no structure, no semblance of any coherent system, so the passing options when players have the puck just aren't available.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Canada gets outscored 12-3 loses all 3 games and finishes last in the showcase tournament.

This after finishing a disappointing 6th last WJC their worst finish in 18 years.

The level of concern with Team Canada management must be growing with available players and poor results.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Isn't Crouse like 22 by now?

Crouse is younger than Marner and Strome.

That was quite a collision with 206lbs MCAvoy stepping into 212lbs Crouse and obliterating him with a clean check.

Crouse is a big boy and bounced back up, luckily that wasn't a smaller player getting rocked like that.

Mr Hockey*

Crouse is going on his 3rd WJC, he is been around a while.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Crouse is going on his 3rd WJC, he is been around a while.

He made Team Canada as an underage 17 year prior to being drafted and won a gold medal in his first appearance with TC.

Its an accomplishment that not many Canadian kids not named McDavid or Crosby do as its essentially a 19 & 18 year old event.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Isn't Crouse like 22 by now?

He was drafted last year, so, no, he's 19.

But he still isn't performant anywhere near where he was drafted. He'll be a disappointment for Florida, I think. At his size, playing against boys, he should basically never give up the puck.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He made Team Canada as an underage 17 year prior to being drafted and won a gold medal in his first appearance with TC.

Its an accomplishment that not many Canadian kids not named McDavid or Crosby do as its essentially a 19 & 18 year old event.
Yeah, its a weird distinction, because 17 year olds at the tourny are usually project to be elite players (Stamkos, Tavares, Ekblad, etc). It reminds me of something I looked into recently, which was double underagers playing at the Hnlinka tournament, due to Joe Veleno making it. There have been 3 other players to make the Hnlinka as a double underagers, Sidney Crosby, Toews and Colton Gillies, (I'll add Tavares missed due to injury, and McDavid was promoted to the U-20 camp due to dominating the U-18 WJC in his 15 year old season). Now, I think Crouse will have a better career than Gillies, but its weird who sometimes end up on these list. At the moment, the worst player I can think of to of made the WJC team as a 17 year old in the past decade is Ryan Ellis.

Edit: Seems I was wrong on Hnlinka, elite prospects has messed it up.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey*

I remember people saying he was the most NHL ready player outside of mcdavid/Eichel.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
He was drafted last year, so, no, he's 19.

But he still isn't performant anywhere near where he was drafted. He'll be a disappointment for Florida, I think. At his size, playing against boys, he should basically never give up the puck.

Crouse and Virtanen seem similar to me: Big bodies that they used to dominate smaller guys at a young age, but don't have the skill to back it up at the NHL level when they lose their size advantage

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
^Crouse has dominated at a young age?

I remember people saying he was the most NHL ready player outside of mcdavid/Eichel.

People need to learn just because someone is physically mature at a certain age doesn't mean theyre NHL ready :laugh:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Not sure why people on this board have such a hard-on for hating Crouse. He's just a kid. He also never asked for any plaudits/comparisons etc. Some of you act like he ****** your sister/gf.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Not sure why people on this board have such a hard-on for hating Crouse. He's just a kid. He also never asked for any plaudits/comparisons etc. Some of you act like he ****** your sister/gf.

:huh:

I haven't seen anyone hating on Crouse but there are some wondering why he isn't doing much better than he is.

Hope that hit from McAvoy reminds him to keep his head up in the future.:laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Team Canada must be getting nervous if this is the best of the best they have to choose from when assembling Team Canada for the 2017 WJC based on this performance, getting outscored 12-3 in the tournament with them being the favourites with the most former NHL 1st round picks in camp (18) than any other team to pick from.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Team Canada must be getting nervous if this is the best of the best they have to choose from when assembling Team Canada for the 2017 WJC based on this performance, getting outscored 12-3 in the tournament with them being the favourites with the most former NHL 1st round picks in camp (18) than any other team to pick from.

With any luck this isn't the team they will be taking.

Perhaps some leaders will step up during the season and get selected to the December camp?

Perhaps Leafs had some players on the 3 other teams who looked ready?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
With any luck this isn't the team they will be taking.

Perhaps some leaders will step up during the season and get selected to the December camp?

Perhaps Leafs had some players on the 3 other teams who looked ready?

Imho they need to address coaching period.
The talent is there the system is nonexistent.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

If we played real Canadian hockey anymore that guy would be obliterated back in waves. We have gutless players now going through.

I don't know when they are going to stop building these polite teams. It is getting sickening when they don't understand that every other country is gunning for us.

Other countries are laughing at this disaster of a management team running Hockey Canada. Its a complete embarrassment as far as i can see.

Tkachuk would be wise to not rub it in years ago. Now, just right out there. I think they better re evaluate how they want to compete. Just stop competing if they want to put together uninspired athletes like we just watched.

To play like that wearing our jersey is disrespectful.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Imho they need to address coaching period.
The talent is there the system is nonexistent.

FYI

Canada's coach Dominique Ducharme won a Memorial Cup with Halifax a few years ago in 2013 and was also named QMJHL coach of the year that same season.

He was also assistant coach of Team Canada at U-18 Ivan Hlinka last year that won Gold.

He was also recently stolen away from Halifax as coach to be both coach and GM now of Drummondville as he is viewed as a rising star in the junior coaching circles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad