GDT: Canada Vs Finland | 12/31 @ 6PM ET | TSN/NHLN

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Don't they have a player who's like 6'6?
Yes Samuel(6-6)Helenius will be drafted in 2021 probably in late 1st round early 2nd round!
samuel.jpg

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
He's faced three traditionally bad teams, and then one of the weaker Finland teams you'll see. He was picked in the 6th round for a reason. Those other goalies are much more highly touted. Levi didn't come into this tournament near anyone's list of the top goalies. Does this tournament factor into an evaluation of him? Yes, but not so much that we should now be expecting him to be on the same level as those other goalies.

Lol what an absurd argument, you're using the round he went in as logic to discredit the fact that Devon Levi is currently statistically one of the best goalies of this tournament? in fact such an argument only exposes you for your lack of hockey Iq as its actually quite common for great goalies to be selected in later rounds.

Would you like me to provide a list of goalies who were taken in the later rounds yet became great NHL goalies.

Pekka Rinne - 8th round
Dominik Hasek - 10th round
Henrik Lundqvist - 7th round
Ryan Miller - 5th round

etc

Oh but Devon Levi was drafted in the 6th round, so that automatically means he isn't a top goalie at this tournament (even though the stats say that he is) lol thanks for the laugh to start 2021.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
GG's Canada that was one hell of a performance by your team.

Still feel the heartbreak from that game after a good sleep though. Like yeah we probably don't have the most talented group ever here, but there's some players to like in there. To be dominated to a degree where we can't even get out of our own zone is just... damn depressing. Only gotta think that wouldn't happen again if there was a rematch, but at the moment not sure I'd even want that chance :laugh:
GG but I don't feel bad at all. Probably if the game was in Bratslava you'd have found a way to win despite being dominated :sarcasm:

Reactions: Sinkkunaattori

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
How can you say that? The only serious team they've played is Finland, and I can still see Finland beating them in an elimination game. Meanwhile there's Sweden, Russia, and the US on the other side.

Canada utterly dominated Finland in every single facet of the game last night, it was literally men against boys. It easily could have been 10-0. Highly improbable Finland would be able to beat Canada in an elimination game in this tournament, no disrespect to Finland but they just don't have the depth to go up against Canada this year.

Canada is easily the deepest team in the tournament with 20 first round picks on the roster, granted Dach is out and looks like Newhook too but the depth factor is just unmatched right now. You say the only serious team Canada has played in Finland, it almost sounds as if you are forgetting that Canada is Canada.

Not saying Canada can't lose but it should be a Canadian gold this year, anything short of that would be a colossal failure with how much of a talent advantage Canada has vs everyone else.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol what an absurd argument, you're using the round he went in as logic to discredit the fact that Devon Levi is currently statistically one of the best goalies of this tournament? in fact such an argument only exposes you for your lack of hockey Iq as its actually quite common for great goalies to be selected in later rounds.

Would you like me to provide a list of goalies who were taken in the later rounds yet became great NHL goalies.

Pekka Rinne - 8th round
Ryan Miller - 5th round

etc

Oh but Devon Levi was drafted in the 6th round, so that automatically means he isn't a top goalie at this tournament (even though the stats say that he is) lol thanks for the laugh to start 2021.

You need to try to make a coherent argument and not react in rage. Draft position matters. If you want to suggest Askarov’s not significantly more proven, go ahead and suggest so. Let’s hear that argument.

But until you do so, draft position factors in. It’s not the only thing that matters, and I never said there aren’t good players from the later rounds. However, there are even more good players coming from the first few rounds.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
You need to try to make a coherent argument and not react in rage. Draft position matters. If you want to suggest Askarov’s not significantly more proven, go ahead and suggest so. Let’s hear that argument.

But until you do so, draft position factors in. It’s not the only thing that matters, and I never said there aren’t good players from the later rounds. However, there are even more good players coming from the first few rounds.

Umm not sure where you get the idea that draft position with regards to goalies matter when history clearly has proven that it doesn't and that numerous goalie stars have been taken in later rounds. Still a little hungover?

You seem to be forgetting that all these goalies are still kids and that their ceilings are still to be determined. Askarov could very well turn out to be a bust while Levi goes on to become the next Carey Price.

Putting so much stock into draft rankings of teenage goalies is just lazy.

Last edited:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Some might say Canada is the only serious team in the tourney. Sweden is no better than Finland, Russia lost to the Czechs and was shutout by Canada in the warmups, the US lost to an underwhelming Russia and is only beating mediocre/tired teams, like Canada. At this point it looks like the US is the only actual competition for Canada.
The warmup you can t count that. Russia and USA are the current competitor for Canada. I don t know if Sweden no better than Finland. Sweden was in a heavier group.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Umm not sure where you get the idea that draft position with regards to goalies matter when history clearly has proven that it doesn't and that numerous goalie stars have been taken in later rounds. Still a little hungover?

You seem to be forgetting that all these goalies are still kids and that their ceilings are still to be determined. Askarov could very well turn out to be a bust while Levi goes on to become the next Carey Price.

Putting so much stock into draft rankings of teenage goalies is just lazy.

Draft position absolutely does matter in goaltender outcomes. This discussion has been had many times in the Askarov thread on the prospect board. Go read like 10 pages back on that, and you’ll see this debate. It’s mostly been resolved. What you are saying is not true.

And to suggest I’m being lazy when I’m assessing this neutrally, while you are stumping for your country’s player, is ironic.

Reactions: Macbanan

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Draft position absolutely does matter in goaltender outcomes. This discussion has been had many times in the Askarov thread on the prospect board. Go read like 10 pages back on that, and you’ll see this debate. It’s mostly been resolved. What you are saying is not true.

And to suggest I’m being lazy when I’m assessing this neutrally, while you are stumping for your country’s player, is ironic.

Oh my god! a debate on hfboards has determined the destiny of a teenage goalie? well then I guess because people on hfboards resolved this debate we know for sure the career trajectory of these teenage goalies! :sarcasm: no need to even play the games using that absurd logic, you're on fire with these jokes to start 2021!

I'm coming from a neutral standpoint too, lol you're the one attempting to determine the ceiling of these teenagers on a "hfboards debate" while I on the other hand say, wait and see. There is infinitesimally more logic in my assessment than yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedards Dad

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The warmup you can t count that. Russia and USA are the current competitor for Canada. I don t know if Sweden no better than Finland. Sweden was in a heavier group.

Russia is not that good. Lost to Canada, took Sweden to OT to win (remember, USA stomped them), and lost to Czech.

Nobody is close to Canada this year. Nobody.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You pick reply for one person. Then for another person, you select “+ Multi-Quote”. It copies it, and you go back to your response, select “Insert Multi Quote” and either edit the next person’s quote and close it, or just close it and it automatically inserts it.

Just using you as the example to show ORRF
Thank you. :)

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Russia is not that good. Lost to Canada, took Sweden to OT to win (remember, USA stomped them), and lost to Czech.

Nobody is close to Canada this year. Nobody.
Lost s Canada? Warm up are not count and despite this loss was very tight. SWE wasn t bad till US-Game. Remember ist was the first loss after 54 winning streak. Vs US they was bad okay. But ist isn t a measue. RUS and US are to be able to beat CAN.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I think Russia became more dangerous since the prelim game and the US top 4 D-men are severley underrated in this tourney.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Yup, they say Canadians are gloaters, but when they win it’s because they are the greatest team ever, if they lose it’s because they have the weakest ever. They are very much the trump of the hockey world.
I'm not sure if it's small country syndrome or just a Finnish language tradition to be a bit brutal, not mincing one's words -- which then comes across the wrong way in a polite, euphemistic language like English -- but either way you're taking it too seriously. And I'd say you're generalizing based on just the more youthful Finn fans... Lighten up?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'm not sure if it's small country syndrome or just a Finnish language tradition to be a bit brutal, not mincing one's words -- which then comes across the wrong way in a polite, euphemistic language like English -- but either way you're taking it too seriously. And I'd say you're generalizing based on just the more youthful Finn fans... Lighten up?
I don't know... Ive been on these board since 2004, registered since 2006, so like 18 years, and its same the things every year. a lot of it from the same people. If its not the Fins, its the Russians.

Reactions: Stubu

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Oh my god! a debate on hfboards has determined the destiny of a teenage goalie? well then I guess because people on hfboards resolved this debate we know for sure the career trajectory of these teenage goalies! :sarcasm: no need to even play the games using that absurd logic, you're on fire with these jokes to start 2021!

I'm coming from a neutral standpoint too, lol you're the one attempting to determine the ceiling of these teenagers on a "hfboards debate" while I on the other hand say, wait and see. There is infinitesimally more logic in my assessment than yours.
as far as im concerned the only thing draft position helps with is how much rope you are given by a team before they give up on you when it comes to goalies, and then once a team has given up on you, it might help you get picked up by another team.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Lost s Canada? Warm up are not count and despite this loss was very tight. SWE wasn t bad till US-Game. Remember ist was the first loss after 54 winning streak. Vs US they was bad okay. But ist isn t a measue. RUS and US are to be able to beat CAN.
And Canada is better too. You have to remember for preliminary unlike Europeans they haven’t been playing. Canada was rusty they aren’t anymore.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Pekka Rinne - 8th round
Ryan Miller - 5th round

etc

Man as a Florida fan, I’m not used to fans defending our prospects so vehemently :laugh:

In all seriousness Levi has played well but he hasn’t been tested much: let’s see him win a close game before anointing him as too much. I’m excited to see him play as a future Panther and it’s good to see him not lose a game for the team yet but still much to learn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad