Canada Should Boycott the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I think the league has a bias against all Canadian teams except for the Leafs. And that would change if they ever got into a playoff series with Rangers, Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh L.A. or any of the sun-belt teams.

Consider the Winnipeg situation. The NHL moved the Jets away as soon as they could and yet are fighting tooth and nail to try to save the Coyotes. Doesn't this embarrass any Canadians? It does me. To make it worse, if they do go back, NONE of the players are going to want to play there. None. It'll be an endless stream of insults to our national pride, we the people who care the most are going to mocked and abused. Just like the Montreal Expos and Vancouver Grizzlies were and just like the Toronto Raptors are now. Even the Blue Jays when they won the World Series - they hung our flag upside down in Atlanta. And we Canadians just take it.

Why should a small county expect to compete with a huge country on a level playing field. It flies in the face of everything we know about the Darwinian nature of this world.

I won't pretend that I know much about the Winnipeg situation, but wasn't the time between the initial expression to sell the team and the actual move something around 2 years?

And again, I can't think of a business reason that the Canadian teams should boycott the NHL. Frankly, I think they get the most respect out of any other teams in the NHL. Certainly more than the team that I cheer for.

Is this because the League did not suspend Chara over the hit on Pacioretty?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Case in point, Dallas gets a PP against Calgary with less than 2 minutes remaining. Sarich for boarding. For what? Morrow cross-check - nothing. Don't be stupid Canada. Stop being the Yankee billionaire's *****...
Are you kidding me? :help:

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
I'm not blaming Americans. Okay, I'm blaming the American Board of Governors. But I blame the Canadian board of governors too. And I blame the Canadian players. But I also understand them. America's a way better country to live in if you're rich.

I just don't think it makes sense for two such disparate countries to share a league. America's just too big and self-absorbed for Canada to compete. Why bother. Let's have a smaller Canadian-run league that we can manage according to our own resources and values. What's the shame in that?

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
This could be an interesting topic as long as it's hockey fans vs. NHL and not Canada vs. United States.

The question that should be asked is this: As a fan, do you believe the NHL takes you for granted? If the answer is yes, then by all means, avoid the league like the plague, place in your money some place else. For Canadians there are a ton of hockey alternatives.

I've already made the decision to not put another cent towards the NHL, not to even watch a single game. Been that way since September of 2009. It's a personal decision, I don't advocate others to follow suit. As a fan I feel taken for granted, but it's not up to me to tell others to feel the same way.

Only once did my boycott had to be put on hold. When the World Jr. Championships were held in Buffalo, the Sabres were the promoters and managers of the event. The Sabres were the last team I wanted to put money towards, but I sure wasn't going to wait another 25 years for the next WJC to show up, so I had to bite the bullet and plunk down my $200+ for a pair of tickets to see Canada play. At least it showed that a team in Southern Ontario is no threat to the Sabres financially...

So until NHL sees me as someone they want as fan, I see no point in contributing anything more to them in terms of financial or moral support...

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
I think the league has a bias against all Canadian teams except for the Leafs. And that would change if they ever got into a playoff series with Rangers, Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh L.A. or any of the sun-belt teams.

Consider the Winnipeg situation. The NHL moved the Jets away as soon as they could and yet are fighting tooth and nail to try to save the Coyotes. Doesn't this embarrass any Canadians? It does me. To make it worse, if they do go back, NONE of the players are going to want to play there. None. It'll be an endless stream of insults to our national pride, we the people who care the most are going to mocked and abused. Just like the Montreal Expos and Vancouver Grizzlies were and just like the Toronto Raptors are now. Even the Blue Jays when they won the World Series - they hung our flag upside down in Atlanta. And we Canadians just take it.

Why should a small county expect to compete with a huge country on a level playing field. It flies in the face of everything we know about the Darwinian nature of this world.

Canada needs the United States' money if it wants to attract the absolute best hockey players on the planet and grow the sport for everyone. The United States needs Canada because they have an impressive hockey heritage and produce more professional-caliber players than any other country. It's a win-win, I'm sorry you can't see it that way.

The NHL is fighting to stop relocation because it just plain looks bad for the business and sport as a whole and is a step backwards. Think about how *YOU* feel about the Jets and Nordiques being relocated- those franchises were in the toilet just like the Coyotes are right now. Relocation should be a last ditch scenario, and it clearly is. If Canada wants more teams then it needs bigger cities, it's that simple.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm not blaming Americans. Okay, I'm blaming the American Board of Governors. But I blame the Canadian board of governors too. And I blame the Canadian players. But I also understand them. America's a way better country to live in if you're rich.

I just don't think it makes sense for two such disparate countries to share a league. America's just too big and self-absorbed for Canada to compete. Why bother. Let's have a smaller Canadian-run league that we can manage according to our own resources and values. What's the shame in that?

100% disagree with you on that.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

But that just exacerbates the problems that you list.

If the Canadian teams break off, there is no way they can possibly compete with the American teams, for a variety of reasons. So salaries are going to be much less than what the American teams can offer.

Long story short, the new Canadian League begins to compete with the KHL and AHL in terms of overall talent and respectability. Assuming that the problem's you list are valid at that.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I blame the Brits for all this. If they hadn't been so mean many years ago, we might just be one big happy family now.:laugh::laugh:

obsenssive*

I understand your frustration BUT why blame Americans?

I don't hear any Canadian hockey players coming to the defense of their homeland.

I did hear an American kid say he was going to get his agent to put in his contract with the team that drafts him he be allowed to play for the US at the next junior world championships.

I heard Tyler Seguin (a Canadian) when asked what he'd think if he was sent back to junior/Team Canada juniors and he said I'd be disappointed.
Guaranteed an American kid would add...but it would be a privilege to play for my country.

Sorry, If anyone is to blame...it's not Americans.

:facepalm:

this is possibly the dumbest argument I have ever read.

what is happening to HF....

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
It's something I've been thinking of for a long time. But yes, the Chara debacle sealed it for me. Owner of Boston head of board of governors, father of Bruin head of suspensions. Chara the best player on a big market marquee American team. Of course, he wasn't going to be suspended.

The NHL business-model is predicated on nepotism and cronyism. In that type of situation, the little guys will inevitably lose.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
This could be an interesting topic as long as it's hockey fans vs. NHL and not Canada vs. United States.

The question that should be asked is this: As a fan, do you believe the NHL takes you for granted? If the answer is yes, then by all means, avoid the league like the plague, place in your money some place else. For Canadians there are a ton of hockey alternatives.

I've already made the decision to not put another cent towards the NHL, not to even watch a single game. Been that way since September of 2009. It's a personal decision, I don't advocate others to follow suit. As a fan I feel taken for granted, but it's not up to me to tell others to feel the same way.

Only once did my boycott had to be put on hold. When the World Jr. Championships were held in Buffalo, the Sabres were the promoters and managers of the event. The Sabres were the last team I wanted to put money towards, but I sure wasn't going to wait another 25 years for the next WJC to show up, so I had to bite the bullet and plunk down my $200+ for a pair of tickets to see Canada play. At least it showed that a team in Southern Ontario is no threat to the Sabres financially...

So until NHL sees me as someone they want as fan, I see no point in contributing anything more to them in terms of financial or moral support...

Interesting point to read.
I became a hockey fan recently and naturally followed the closest team to me(Tampa Bay). On your point of being taken for granted by the league I view it more as a Team-Fan relationship as opposed to League-Fan one(although that changes during the playoffs).

The Lightning franchise as a whole seems to be pretty open to fans(they tweaked their new jersey design after fans had their input). That to me is what kept me coming back. If the team treated fans as a number as opposed to fans then I'm sure I would of lost interest quick but I have stuck around thanks to my experience.

But as your view and mine differ it shows that fans have a different view on how the league/teams should treat fans.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
I fully realize that a Canadian league wouldn't be as good as an American league. I'm prepared to live with that.

I just want to support a league that has a bit more integrity. It's been 18 years since a Canadian team won the Cup. At least, with our own league we'd have a fighting chance.

And it wouldn't have to be 30 teams. I'd be open to having a shared league with Sweden and Finland. 21 teams is possible I'd think...

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
:facepalm:

this is possibly the dumbest argument I have ever read.

what is happening to HF....

why is it dumb? The guys blaming Americans. It's not like the US came in and stole hockey from us.

Maybe Canadians should be a bit more forceful.

I fail to see how Americans can be blamed.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I fully realize that a Canadian league wouldn't be as good as an American league. I'm prepared to live with that.

I just want to support a league that has a bit more integrity. It's been 18 years since a Canadian team won the Cup. At least, with our own league we'd have a fighting chance.

And it wouldn't have to be 30 teams. I'd be open to having a shared league with Sweden and Finland. 21 teams is possible I'd think...

I don't think a multi-continent league would be financially possible at this point.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
I'm NOT blaming Americans. I'm blaming Big Business on both sides of the border.

I just don't think it's in the best interest of Canadians to continue to compete in American sports leagues. It's humiliating, insulting, futile and unnecessary.

CANADIAN PLAYERS DON'T WANT TO PLAY IN CANADA. NOONE DOES!

The discussion should end at that.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
Why is this thread ridiculous. It's a totally legitimate claim that holds up to scrutiny if you take time to review the facts.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I'm NOT blaming Americans. I'm blaming Big Business on both sides of the border.

I just don't think it's in the best interest of Canadians to continue to compete in American sports leagues. It's humiliating, insulting, futile and unnecessary.

It's true. Other canadians rip on the Raps losing their players but when was the last time a superstar signed from the US to Canada in the NHL? And I mean FA not trade like Iginla or Luongo. Even Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Yzerman live and work in the US.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

So you're saying that Canadian teams should commit financial suicide in order to gain respect that (you assert) they don't have?

Absurd.

Two questions:

How would this help bring Canadian players to play for Canada? and;

Can you provide any examples of Canadian players not playing for a team in Canada on the basis that said team was in Canada?

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
Messier in Vancouver. But he lived across the border in Pt. Roberts, Washington.

I think Winnipeg should prepare themselves to have their hearts ripped out when they realize their homegrown boys like Jonathan Toews will never, in a million years, consider coming to play for them.

Think of the psychological abuse Edmonton's been through since 1988....

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

So if Canadian players don't want to play in Canada, why would a separate (and inherently poorer) all-Canadian league be able to attract anything remotely resembling NHL talent?

An All-American NHL would have all the top level players, and the best Canadian team would have a first line that would feature Daniel Tkaczuk and Todd Harvey with a first pairing that includes Ric Jackman.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
Who says the players need to be Canadian? Canadians hate playing in Canada more than any other nationality. I find it interesting that American players are much more likely to sign here. They're our loyal soldiers. Them and the Swedes.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
So you're saying that Canadian teams should commit financial suicide in order to gain respect that (you assert) they don't have?

Absurd.

Two questions:

How would this help bring Canadian players to play for Canada? and;

Can you provide any examples of Canadian players not playing for a team in Canada on the basis that said team was in Canada?
IMO he means things like taxes and pressure and NTC's Where would you rather be? Raleigh or cold Canada from September to April? I would take Raleigh, more money, less taxes, less pressure and I am from Toronto. Many Canadian player would rather be in the US. And I don't blame them.

Dado

I don't feel as strongly as the OP, bit it is a reality that there are a number of US teams that I have no interst in watching, so I guess that qualifies as a boycott of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad